Revisiting The Oohlas

Discuss Everclear-related bands, such as Craig's band Tri-Polar and Greg's band The Oohlas.
ekeown
Site Admin

Revisiting The Oohlas

Post by ekeown » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Last month after I found I had some how lost a lot of my digital collection of THer Oohlas music I've been on a kick to rebuild it, and I've stumbled across some pretty stuff I figured I'd share on here.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can stream an The Oohlas set from Austin, TX on August 16, 2007 for free; Non-Prime members can rent it for 7 days for $1.99, buy a digital copy for $10.99:

You can also buy a DVD for the same show here:

You can download an acoustic EP for free from here:

Finally here is what I've been able to put together as a collection of The Oohlas' music:

Albums:
Best Stop Pop

EPs:
Chinchilla
Sony Connect Sessions
Little Buttons

Singles:
Small Parts

Vinyl 7":
Small Parts / From Me To You

Demos:
Crying
Friendly
Summer
Soldier

Covers:
Mr. Grinch

Is anyone aware of anything I might be missing?
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

Copper

Re: Revisiting The Oohlas

Post by Copper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Can I get a copy of that set of four demos (Crying, etc)?

And I remember a different set of demos that were on soundcloud when they were working on their second album years ago. Shame it never happened, I really love them. But one song was two women's names, I believe. I remember it was acousticy and a waltz and the chorus had Ollie singing "I just ain't raising no average girls." I don't remember any of the other songs... I think "Take Me Home" may have been in that set too.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Copper wrote:And I remember a different set of demos that were on soundcloud when they were working on their second album years ago. Shame it never happened, I really love them. But one song was two women's names, I believe. I remember it was acousticy and a waltz and the chorus had Ollie singing "I just ain't raising no average girls." I don't remember any of the other songs... I think "Take Me Home" may have been in that set too.
I think you are talking about Toni & Di. I found Toni & Di and Take Me Home streaming here:

http://www.ourstage.com/profile/theoohlas/songs

I also found 2 other "new" songs, All We Ever Wanted Was Everything and Pollenation here:

https://myspace.com/theoohlas/music/songs
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

Copper

Post by Copper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 am

ekeown wrote:
Copper wrote:And I remember a different set of demos that were on soundcloud when they were working on their second album years ago. Shame it never happened, I really love them. But one song was two women's names, I believe. I remember it was acousticy and a waltz and the chorus had Ollie singing "I just ain't raising no average girls." I don't remember any of the other songs... I think "Take Me Home" may have been in that set too.
I think you are talking about Toni & Di. I found Toni & Di and Take Me Home streaming here:

http://www.ourstage.com/profile/theoohlas/songs

I also found 2 other "new" songs, All We Ever Wanted Was Everything and Pollenation here:

https://myspace.com/theoohlas/music/songs
YES. I've been dying to hear these again. I remember them talking about Pollenation a lot back in 06.

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 am

I checked their website maybe a week ago and they even had a recent show up under the tours. I was surprised since I hadn't heard much from them.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm

worldofnoise wrote:I checked their website maybe a week ago and they even had a recent show up under the tours. I was surprised since I hadn't heard much from them.

It was a one time show reunion show.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 am

ekeown wrote:
worldofnoise wrote:I checked their website maybe a week ago and they even had a recent show up under the tours. I was surprised since I hadn't heard much from them.

It was a one time show reunion show.
That explains it.

Even when they were a new band they would hardly update their site.

Hesjustthedrummer

Post by Hesjustthedrummer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

As an rare lurker to this page, i was pleasantly surprised and it gave me warm fuzzy's to see this re visitation of The Oohlas.
Havin just played a reunion/goodbye LA show, our first in 5 years, and my subsequent return to Portland where I'm now living, it was humbling to see such interest in our catalog of music.
Thank you for making me smile today.

Greg Eklund

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:14 am

Hesjustthedrummer wrote:As an rare lurker to this page, i was pleasantly surprised and it gave me warm fuzzy's to see this re visitation of The Oohlas.
Havin just played a reunion/goodbye LA show, our first in 5 years, and my subsequent return to Portland where I'm now living, it was humbling to see such interest in our catalog of music.

Greg Eklund
Drop by more often! Smiling is good.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:50 am

Hesjustthedrummer wrote:As an rare lurker to this page, i was pleasantly surprised and it gave me warm fuzzy's to see this re visitation of The Oohlas.

Greg Eklund

We've all enjoyed your music and what you've given to us fans in kindness, so thank you for years of making us smile!
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

Copper

Post by Copper » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:01 pm

On the off chance you swing by again, Greg, any chance of more Oohlas-type music coming from you, even if the band is done? Best Stop Pop still gets a lot of spins for me and you write some great hooks.

Hesjustthedrummer

Post by Hesjustthedrummer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:07 pm

I will be doing new music. I'm not sure if it will be in The Oohlas vein. The Oohlas really were an attempt to make interesting pop/music and to see if I could even WRITE songs. Guitar is/was a very new instrument to me and so the Oohlas were a band of new and first starts. I enjoyed it all so much starting over from he beginning and moving on from there.

My new music will no longer feel the need for pop although I tend to naturally gravitate towards that. It will be music and songs that will interest me and hopefully interest others.

I just moved into my house in Portland. I hope to build and have my studio up and running by the end of this year so hopefully I'll have new music by next summer.

Gregeklund.org will keep ya updated.
Thanks guys for digging the music
Greg

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Hesjustthedrummer wrote:I will be doing new music. I'm not sure if it will be in The Oohlas vein. The Oohlas really were an attempt to make interesting pop/music and to see if I could even WRITE songs. Guitar is/was a very new instrument to me and so the Oohlas were a band of new and first starts. I enjoyed it all so much starting over from he beginning and moving on from there.

My new music will no longer feel the need for pop although I tend to naturally gravitate towards that. It will be music and songs that will interest me and hopefully interest others.

I just moved into my house in Portland. I hope to build and have my studio up and running by the end of this year so hopefully I'll have new music by next summer.

Greg
Thanks for stopping by again - and thank you for putting out such great music over the years that we all like to listen to and enjoy!

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:42 am

Hesjustthedrummer wrote:I will be doing new music. I'm not sure if it will be in The Oohlas vein. The Oohlas really were an attempt to make interesting pop/music and to see if I could even WRITE songs. Guitar is/was a very new instrument to me and so the Oohlas were a band of new and first starts. I enjoyed it all so much starting over from he beginning and moving on from there.

Greg
I enjoyed The Oohlas. Every once in a while a song will pop into my head.

All I can say is that I'm glad you're still making music and that when you do tour, that you cover as much area as you can!

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:05 pm

I used to try to listen to Oohlas back in 2006/2007, but lost completely track of them after Best Stop Pop. Didn't know they were already over... it's good to know that it healed you from uncomfortable Everclear experiences, Greg, as you state on your website/blog. :)

Hope to hear from you soon.

attE: cien_bolas

Oh God, I've become a rare lurker of this boards too...
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!