Left...or Right?

Talk amongst yourselves.
User avatar
Amanda
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:47 am
Location: Mountain-y Place
Contact:

Left...or Right?

Post by Amanda » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:07 am

So I was just wondering the political orientation of the people on this board. Not that it matters, but I'm into politics and have always pretty much assumed Everclear fans would in general be slanted towards the left, but I never really asked. So now I'm asking...:D

For myself personally, I am registered with the Libertarian party ( I know they're extreme, I don't support every policy they have but I wanted to chose a third party to support), but as far as major elections go I basically vote Democratic. I'm not nessicarly against the Republicans as I am against a government too strongly tilted in either direction. There needs to be a balance. Anyway, that's my thing...what's yours?

:arrow: Btw- If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's perfectly cool. I promise there's no pressure. :wink:
"Love Plus Peace Equals Information."

User avatar
BigMike
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:48 pm

Re: Left...or Right?

Post by BigMike » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:55 am

Amanda wrote:So I was just wondering the political orientation of the people on this board. Not that it matters, but I'm into politics and have always pretty much assumed Everclear fans would in general be slanted towards the left, but I never really asked. So now I'm asking...:D

For myself personally, I am registered with the Libertarian party ( I know they're extreme, I don't support every policy they have but I wanted to chose a third party to support), but as far as major elections go I basically vote Democratic. I'm not nessicarly against the Republicans as I am against a government too strongly tilted in either direction. There needs to be a balance. Anyway, that's my thing...what's yours?

:arrow: Btw- If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's perfectly cool. I promise there's no pressure. :wink:
It's funny...if you put the US parties on a political spectrum that relates to the US only, there might be some separation between the "left" and "right" of the Democratic and Republican parties. There's a lot of overlap between the parties, as is demonstrated each election as candidates attempt to court "swing" voters which fall somewhere in between the core constituencies of the two parties. If you were to put the US political parties on a political spectrum that encompasses all political thought, however, not just that of major parties in the U.S., you would find that it would be hard to distinguish between the two dots on the line.

Both major parties (and virtually all of the minor ones, too) believe in the same core things - a republic with free elections, the basic protections of the Constitution and our system of laws. There's just relatively minor differences on social issues (which, truth be told, should not be part of the US political debate in most cases), and a little difference on financial matters.

Personally, I'm an independent with Republican tendencies. But I can find good and bad in both parties from time to time, so I'm not a rabid anything when it comes to politics.

User avatar
heartspark4ec
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Iowa

Post by heartspark4ec » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:35 am

i'm not really pro either party. I figure with stuff like the presidential election and whatnot... it doesn't matter what party they are from, as long as they'll do the best job in the white house. I mean, i dont care which party it is, as long as they dont put america to hell in a handbasket. I'm looking forward to seeing Dean do well in the next election
~*Melissa*~

I wish I could be like all my heros, I wish I could be like all yours too...

User avatar
stupid happy
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:57 pm
Location: atlanta

Post by stupid happy » Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:13 pm

liberal.
Stupid happy with everything....
* * * * * *
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

User avatar
Mr Vaughan
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:11 am
Location: 123 Fake Street
Contact:

Post by Mr Vaughan » Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:50 pm

Somewhere in the middle, I suppose.

there's plenty to hate about the right-wing; Donald Rumsfeld is a good example. Obviously there is no place in the 21st century for racism, fundemental religion , pointless warmongering, and discrimination of any kind, but you can be right wing without being a gun-toting klan member. To be honest, right/left wing allegiance seems to be less important in the UK than over in the States, and to be fair I can't really tell the difference betwwen the Republicans and the Democrats. Bush has been anything but right wing with regard to his domestic/economic policy. Soon you'll be in defecit spending because this so-called 'conservative' can't stop allocating more and more of the tax-payer's money to different, untested, and questionable economic and mility programs. In fact, Bush fully combines elements of liberalism and conservativism...the problem is they are the bad elements of each. Reckless spending, moronic foreign policy, and a total disregard for world opinion. I guess that makes him the ideal embodiment of why most of the world hates America.

Domestically, Bush's more liberal than Clinton ever was. Perhaps it was just the luck of economic cycle, but for whetever reason he won't stop wasting money.



However, there's plenty of left-wing hippy bullshit to put up with. I had a conversation with a student last night and I was ready to slap him across the face with a decomposing badger. What I really despise are the ready-to-wear lefty McCarthyist trendoids, who come from well-off families, yet somehow believe that by spouting a few rote slogans, they're the second coming of Che fucking Guevara.

Mostly I don't care, I just want to play records and watch rugby...
Mr Vaughan has spoken

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:52 pm
Location: location, location.
Contact:

Post by Matty » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:42 pm

Mr Vaughan wrote:What I really despise are the ready-to-wear lefty McCarthyist trendoids, who come from well-off families, yet somehow believe that by spouting a few rote slogans, they're the second coming of Che fucking Guevara.
Indeed. They make all of us real liberal lefties look bad.

I'm not one to fit myself into a particular group, because then you're immediately associated with the morons of that particular faction. And every group has them. So I just let my opinions speak for me.

I'm lefty and liberal most all of the time, though.
Forgive me nothing.

plight
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:17 am
Location: New York City (SoHo)

Post by plight » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:08 pm

Matty wrote:Indeed. They make all of us real liberal lefties look bad.
Actually, it's alot of the liberal pundits like Moore & Franken that make the left look extremely bad. Even the celebrities who wish to further their own agenda when they speak out look like morons. Case in point - Art. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Art and all. When he speaks about father abandonment, he comes off as someone astute who know what he s talking about. When he sings about John Ashcroft, he come off like the biggest idiot in the free world.

The thing is with politics is to read as much as you can on both sides. To open your doors to preception and thought. I'm radically liberal, but god damn if i'm not ashamed of most of the people who call themselves liberal.

User avatar
twistinsider
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:11 pm
Location: Centreville, MD
Contact:

Post by twistinsider » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:12 am

I'm a republican, but that means nothing.

Why am I republican, do you ask? Because my dad is.
I strike a match, strike a match, cook it up

User avatar
patty42
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:12 am
Location: bay area, california
Contact:

Post by patty42 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:51 am

i don't know much about politics (except that in general it's annoying) but i most likely would support the green party b/c i'm all for reusable energy and enviornmental protection.
"right now day one i fall hard when i fall i always fall on you face first head down eyes closed arms out to break my fall we fall down like a world of noise...." - a.p. alexakis

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:52 pm
Location: location, location.
Contact:

Post by Matty » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:19 pm

plight wrote:it's alot of the liberal pundits like Moore & Franken that make the left look extremely bad.
Indeed. Though I don't really have a problem with Moore.
plight wrote:The thing is with politics is to read as much as you can on both sides. To open your doors to preception and thought. I'm radically liberal, but god damn if i'm not ashamed of most of the people who call themselves liberal.
Again, I say: indeed.
Forgive me nothing.

User avatar
Amanda
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:47 am
Location: Mountain-y Place
Contact:

Post by Amanda » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:37 pm

Wow...everyone made all these awesome points that I can't even start to respond to them all. I think in general, it's best to be in the middle and if a more extreme or a certain party member looks good, go for them. Although...when you register if you wanna register as independent I recommend just registering with a third party and then just voting independently. Why? In a lot of states they desperately need to gain numbers so as not to drown in the system. They can sometimes get funds and grants from the government depending on how many people are interested in them. That's the biggest problem with the American system, in my opinion. Smaller parties have no chance. I think we should switch over to the party system were Congress has a certain number of seats..and they're divided and given to the different parties in proportion to the percent of the population voted for them. That way even smaller groups would have some kind of chance.

A lot of people think I'm crazy for saying that though...and I probably am. :D
"Love Plus Peace Equals Information."

User avatar
Storm
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:56 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by Storm » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:06 pm

Mr Vaughan wrote: Bush has been anything but right wing with regard to his domestic/economic policy. Soon you'll be in defecit spending because this so-called 'conservative' can't stop allocating more and more of the tax-payer's money to different, untested, and questionable economic and mility programs. In fact, Bush fully combines elements of liberalism and conservativism...the problem is they are the bad elements of each. Reckless spending, moronic foreign policy, and a total disregard for world opinion. I guess that makes him the ideal embodiment of why most of the world hates America.
Bush has NOT been liberal in his domestic poilicies! Liberals don't spend money just to spend it; they spend it on important social programs that they believe are necessary and worthwhile. Whether you agree with them or not, you have to admit that.
Bush, on the other hand, has slashed food stamps, the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families Grant (cash welfare for people with children) (he reallocated $100 million from those two to programs whose only purpose is to "encourage low-income mothers to marry their children's biological fathers"), Medicaid, and unemployment, on top of a slew of beneficial, science-validated, high-result, and relatively low-cost social improvement programs like Head Start. His deficit has come from irresponsible, short sighted tax breaks for the wealthy and military spending combined with the natural recession, and compounded with the economic damage of 9/11.
Dubya's economic policies ARE right wing. Unfortunately, they cater to the radical neocon Christian Reich, and pander to major sponsors (I refuse to call them contributors) rather than the courting the sensibilities of stable, responsible Rockefeller Republicanism.

But you're right about him being the anti-American poster child, and we're going to pay for his actions for years, probably decades. We may be the world's sole superpower, but if everyone else gangs up against us, we'll be just as dead as the Roman Empire. Which is why he scares the crap out of me.

For the record, I'm independent, but I registered Democratic so that I could vote in the primaries. I just want someone who can beat Dubya.
Image

User avatar
Mr Vaughan
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:11 am
Location: 123 Fake Street
Contact:

Post by Mr Vaughan » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:11 pm

Storm wrote:[ (he reallocated $100 million from those two to programs whose only purpose is to "encourage low-income mothers to marry their children's biological fathers"),
hahaha. Is this true? That's superb. hahaha

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that Bush is a liberal person - he's a pro-death penalty, fundementalist Christian, moralsitic buffoon, (and I always enjoy his homosexual marriage interviews) but I do think that he's made several liberal reforms (albeit buried underneath the crap). I could go on about Bush all night, but I really don't fancy it. Anyway, I'm thousands of miles away and have no idea what I'm talking about.
Mr Vaughan has spoken

User avatar
Storm
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:56 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by Storm » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:50 pm

Mr Vaughan wrote:hahaha. Is this true? That's superb. hahaha
Yep, it's true. And people barely noticed, because he piggy-backed it on one of his national "security" bills. Image

I know you weren't saying he's a liberal, but you did say his econ-policies are, and I gotta argue with that (obviously) [/url]
Image

plight
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:17 am
Location: New York City (SoHo)

Post by plight » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:42 am

Storm wrote: For the record, I'm independent, but I registered Democratic so that I could vote in the primaries. I just want someone who can beat Dubya.
As someone who is radically liberal himself, the field of Democratic nominies is in itself frightening. You have Dean who is waaaay too liberal for even most liberals. Clark who can't hold his own in debate without looking like an idiot and Kerry who frankly doesn't have much of a chance to begin with. I'm personally hoping for a good third party choice, because i'm extremely underwhelmed like I was in 2000. I wound up voting for Nader that year, because Liebermann in office scares me alot more than Cheney did.

Post Reply