Wii!

Talk amongst yourselves.
Memphis Mafia

Wii!

Post by Memphis Mafia » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:54 pm

If anyone is thinking about getting a Wii, do. It's totally worth it. Wii Sports, Rayman, and Zelda are all amazing.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Just a quick heads up warning to any Wii-er who wants to connect to the Wii24hour Service...

On first connect there is an update that is downloaded...apparently that update is breaking some Wii units, to the point that Nintendo is completely replacing them.

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/boa ... ge.id=2020

So...if you haven't already connected to the Wii24hour Service (no clue what it is since I don't have a Wii) I'd say to continue to hold off until the problem is solved, and if you have been able to connect to it, consider yourslef fortunate that your Wii didn't break.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:43 pm

So much fun.

Easily the most fun I've had with a console since the N64/PS1 days.
Oh, those sloppy tarts have sulphurized hearts.

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 am

I plan on buying one when it get cheaper, even though it is hundreds less than the Xbox 360 and PS3.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:55 am

HUNDREDS less than the 360!?!

Try $49 to $149 cheaper depending on which model you buy...no "hundreds" involved there, just 1 at best. Now the PS3 price difference is a different story.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

PureWhiteEvil

Wii-Markable!

Post by PureWhiteEvil » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Yeah, I got me some Wii!

Lovin' Zelda, Excite Truck, and Super Monkey Ball! The Sports game is fun, too.

It's actually a really fun system to play, which is weird. Zelda is a beautiful game. The motion sensors are pretty accurate in everything I've played. Nintendo's always been heads & tails above the rest. There's always been something about their systems that made me have more fun than any other system. This one, more than ever.

It's weird, though. I kept reading that they were hard to find. I was able to get 2 more on Monday and I'm probably going to pick up 1 or 2 tomorrow. The PS3... now THAT'S nowhere to be found. Was anyone here "lucky" enough to get one? How is it?

Don
"Tell me, do you feel it, too?
The way I feel when I am blue?
Do you feel it? 'Cause I can feel it still
You cut me into pieces
Said, you cut me into pieces
And now I wished I'd never let you in!"
~ Brad! The Musical

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:42 pm

goddammit, i went at 7 when walmart opened to get one and there were 25 people camped out there and apparently were there for a couple days.

walmart only had 25 wiis. now they are sold out everywhere and are rediculous on ebay. :twisted: anyone know where to get one?

twistinside1980

Post by twistinside1980 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:15 am

How is the Wii's online play? I was thinking about getting one but I want to know if I'm gonna have as much fun playing Call of Duty 3 online.
Breathin' fire doesn't look good on a resume.

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:50 am

Wii wont have online play until next year because Nintendo couldnt complete the online dev kits in time to get them to the launch game developers. :(

Wii Sports Tennis with 4 people is officially the most fun thing in the history of ever, though.

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:21 pm

ekeown wrote:HUNDREDS less than the 360!?!

Try $49 to $149 cheaper depending on which model you buy...no "hundreds" involved there, just 1 at best. Now the PS3 price difference is a different story.
Yeah, the Wii's starting price is $250 while Xbox 360's starting price was $500 or $600 and now it's $400
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:16 pm

no the core package for 360 is $300, while premium is $400. The Wii is only $50 cheaper, and has the graphics of a ps2. I played one at an EBgames and was impressed with the controller, but that was about it. Graphics and gameplay were pretty abysmal.

I can see the Wii being a nice $200 system when more games that are better developed come out, but right now it seems like one of those systems that would get old after 2 hours.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:48 pm

Playing it at EB proves jack.

And who cares about graphics? Thats the point. You could spend 300 on the 360 and 600 on the ps3 to play Halo 14 and Metal Gear Solid 24 and a million other games that have been made a million times with a higher polygon count, or you could spend 250 on the wii and get something legitimately new.

Also, its just so much damn fun. Hands down the best LAN console ever. The freaking free game it comes with is more fun than anything Ive played on a console in the last 5 years.

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:59 am

HydrogenElf wrote:Playing it at EB proves jack.
:?:

Actually playing the console proves "jack"? How so? Don't even get restarted on rehashing titles; Mario Party 7 ring a bell? No? How about Mario Kart DD, Smash Bros Melee, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, etc. Nintendo is the king of rehashing a good game.

Playing the Wii, I didn't feel like I was playing a brand new $250 system, I felt like I was playing a Gamecube with a wierd/neat new controller.

Sorry, but I'm sticking with the 360 and Gears of War.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:54 am

Playing it for a few minutes in a non-comfortable context proves jack.

And yes, of course Nintendo makes sequels. But how many games out there are like Mario Party? Zero. If they didnt make sequels, there would be no games left to play like that. Theyre the only game filling that particular niche market, so of course theyre gonna update the game every year or two.

Franchises deserve sequels, no doubt. My point was this is the third gen with zero innovation on the consoles themselves. From the PS1 to the PS3 is practically nothing new. Just prettier. Same from PS1 to Xbox360. The N64 changed console gaming, the gamecube was a bit of a letdown but was still only one stale gen, not 3. Nintendo doesnt sit back and ride one thing for a decade like the others seem content to do, it changes gameplay.

And if you didnt feel like you were playing an original console, you either played just the excite truck demo, or never even gave it a real chance.

I like the 360, and will buy one when the price is reasonable. But 300 dollars is too high for absolutely nothing new.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:40 pm

worldofnoise wrote: Yeah, the Wii's starting price is $250 while Xbox 360's starting price was $500 or $600 and now it's $400
Ummmm no. The prices are exactly as I've stated. The Xbox 360's price has never changed since the system was first released. $299 for the Core unit, and $399 for the Premium.

Fact check for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#R ... igurations

You're getting the 360's prices confused with the PS3.
HydrogenElf wrote: And yes, of course Nintendo makes sequels. But how many games out there are like Mario Party? Zero.
In terms of a game made up of many multiplayer mini-games? From that perspective I can think of a few...
HydrogenElf wrote:My point was this is the third gen with zero innovation on the consoles themselves.
I guess it's a matter of perspective, because I think putting out consoles that re more powerful than current than personal and business computers is pretty amazing. I think adding a hard drive to the system (original Xbox) is a great leap in consoles. To some people are visual, so improved graphics, while actual game play is still more important, plays a big role in their love of games.
HydrogenElf wrote:The N64 changed console gaming.
HUH!?! How so? Sounds more like Nintendo fanboy speak to me, unless you can state your case. To me the only think the N64 REALLY changed was it proved that cartridges where a dead format.

Back on topic to the Wii. It seems like a fun idea, one that I'd probably grow tired of quickly. Would I considering buying the Wii? Yes, as a secondary console. PS3? Not likely.

You talk about innovation etc... and I know you'll just claim that graphics are nothing to gameplay and what not, but to me it is ridiculous that Nintendo can't put something out that is better than 6 year old technology (excluding the wii-mote, and the minor feat of including solid-state memory).

The Wii project was originally intended to be an add on to the GameCube, but Nintendo decided to make it it's own console and the Wii became a full fledge GameCube 1.5 with a new controller style. To me they could have at least brought the specs a little closer to the next gen stardards, at least break the 1GHz processor barrier and do a bit more than a tiny improvement on graphics. I have a hard time to justify spending the money on what really boils down to a controller. I know the system includes a game, but I think if it had come out at atmost $199 it would be easier for me to swallow the concept.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow