Wii!

Talk amongst yourselves.
northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:26 pm

HydrogenElf wrote:Playing it for a few minutes in a non-comfortable context proves jack.
So playing the actual system itself for 15min proves "jack" unless I'm in my living room kicking it back with my favorite brew? That makes a ton of sense. :roll:

The thing is, the controller is NEAT, but it isn't very FUN or EXCITING. I can see myself getting bored with it quickly. Plus, it wasn't exactly the most precise/easiest controlling controller either. XBOX 360 has brought a lot more to the table than just good graphics. Now you have downloadable demos and videos, and still no need for those homo memory cards. If you've actually played some of the 360's stellar games you'd see the differences in gameplay from the previous gen. In-game movies are amazingly smooth and realistic, loading times on some games are incredibly fast, and the enviroments on some of the games are incredibly detailed/interactive. GOW itself has brought some cool things to the table, with the rifle-saw, unique 3rd person camera, torque bow, and other cool ideas that aren't bland ideas used in every other FPS (or in this case TPS).

This whole arguement is basically new games to enjoy VS new ways to enjoy a game.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:15 am

just got one today, it is fantastic. super monkey ball is so much fun

Blake

Post by Blake » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:45 am

I think i'll stick with ps2 and grand theft auto and hitman, I remember in high school having heated debates over if the ps2 was better than cube, "sigh" some people still don't realize they sound like losers when they do this...
How in the hell can i ever get SMART with YOU?-me

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:05 am

Well you can play with that retarded remote looking controller, the SNES controller for NES and SNES games and for Gamecube games, a Gamecube controller. Playing with the controller is going to suck for some games.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

Stick Man

Post by Stick Man » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:49 pm

I bought it at launch with Red Steel, I was going to get Zelda for the Cube.
It's fun as hell, but I wish I had more people to play with.
In the game of chess you can never let an adversary see your pieces.

Memphis Mafia

Post by Memphis Mafia » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Zelda looks every bit as good as Gears of War. Each console is capable of so much more than what most developers put into it. Resident Evil 4 looked amazing on Gamecube.

worldofnoise, the controllers are really more specific to games than that. The Wii-mote can be used for most Wii games and a few of the Virtual Console games, the classic controller can be used for Virtual Console games, and the GC controller can be used for some Wii games and most VC games. For some new Wii games, like Super Smash Bros, the developer knows that yeah, playing with the Wii-mote would suck. So they stick to what will work. But most games do take advantage of the new controller.

One of the guys living near me thought the Wii was totally going to suck, but he played Wii Sports with us for a couple hours one night and now wants to get one. It's the whole playing is believing thing, though some games do become exponentially better when played with other people (Wii Sports) and there are others, like Zelda, that are what you should test out if you're on your own.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:13 pm

Memphis Mafia wrote:Zelda looks every bit as good as Gears of War.

:?: ... :!: ... :?: ...

Not saying Zelda doesn't look good, but not even close.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

Memphis Mafia

Post by Memphis Mafia » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:12 am

Maybe they aren't exactly equal, but I honestly think they are close enough that it doesn't matter. I'm halfway through my second time on
Gears of War, partway through Zelda, and the only thing I'd give GoW over Zelda is the blood splattering onto your screen. Besides that..

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:31 am

Eric, to your earlier post, then N64 DID change console gaming.

The list of firsts is huge. Rumble pack, free roaming camera, on and on. theres a reason almost everybody considers Super Mario 64 one of the most impotant games in gaming history. It changed 3d gaming, as a whole. Thats not fanboy speak, its fact. Every single platformer that came after Mario 64, on every system, was a clone of Mario 64, and still is.

And no, the wii was never a gamecube add on. it was always a next-gen console.

Graphics really don't mean shit. I have more fun playing TFC and BF1942, my two favorite PC fps', than I do any current beautiful PC fps. Gears of War is a fun game, but its no more fun than the much worse looking Zelda. For the PS3 and Xbox360 concept to be correct, the improved graphics would have to in turn make it a more fun game, which it doesnt.

And adding a harddrive was really nothing. For the sake of consoles its a built in memory card, so what?

Again, I like the 360, I have fun when I play it, but I have an xbox and a ps2 and can play the exact same games but slightly uglier, so I cant justify 300 dollars for a few more polygons. Wii, on the otherhand, offers a different experience altogether, especially for LANs, and at no point have I felt like I was playing a rehash. Even Zelda, using the same formula as every other Zelda, is a very different experience playing it with the amazingly comfortable wii controller. Just the comfort factor alone of having the controller split in two is an amazing innovation.
Oh, those sloppy tarts have sulphurized hearts.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:23 pm

HydrogenElf wrote:Eric, to your earlier post, then N64 DID change console gaming.

The list of firsts is huge. Rumble pack, free roaming camera, on and on. theres a reason almost everybody considers Super Mario 64 one of the most impotant games in gaming history. It changed 3d gaming, as a whole. Thats not fanboy speak, its fact. Every single platformer that came after Mario 64, on every system, was a clone of Mario 64, and still is.
I'm glad you are stating why you feel the the N64 was so great, I was just saying that it came off as fanboy speak since you gave nothing to back it up. I still don't agree that it was as revolutionary as you think, but I see where you are coming from.
HydrogenElf wrote:And no, the wii was never a gamecube add on. it was always a next-gen console.
I'll really have to look around for articles, but I swear that I've read multiple articles where Nintendo execs state that the Revolution project was started as an add-on project for the gamecube, and that project was to include a wii-mote style peripheral. That was why the new Zelda game was so easily ported over from the Gamecube to the Wii.
HydrogenElf wrote:And adding a harddrive was really nothing. For the sake of consoles its a built in memory card, so what?
When you look at it as just a memory card sure, but look at what else it brought to the table: hardware updates, software updates, downloadable content. Look at the first Splinter Cell. Because of the included harddrive, Ubisoft released 3, free, new campaign maps that furthered the story. Adding a hard drive meant that games were no longer bound to what was on the disc when the game went gold. Since you are s big into gameplay, surely you can agree that that alone is cooler than a rumble pack.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:26 pm

The harddrive just made available what PC gamers have had for years. And even then it wasn't completely new to console games. Sports games, for example, had downloadable roster updates you could save to memory cards for a while before the hard drive came to consoles.

I like the xbox, I own one, and I like the 360, and will own one when the price drops. I just think Nintendo is making the smarter choices and released the most fun system this time around. So far, at least. Most of yall arent being very fair to the Wii, though. Its become pretty popular to hate Nintendo just because. If you think its a gimmick you can get tired of, youve really never played it. On a game like Zelda, where the controls are pretty conventional, the controller is infinitely more suited for long gaming sessions than a typical controller. Splitting it up is a big innovation. Its easier to control a traditional game like Zelda with the Wii than with a typical controller.

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:01 pm

Madden 07 for Wii is fantastic. Anyone try it out yet? It has a new game type called hall of fame superstar and it is awesome :!:

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:12 pm

HydrogenElf wrote:The harddrive just made available what PC gamers have had for years.
But we are talking about consoles here, and not PCs. So therefore it IS an innovation to consoles.
HydrogenElf wrote:And even then it wasn't completely new to console games. Sports games, for example, had downloadable roster updates you could save to memory cards for a while before the hard drive came to consoles.
HUGE difference between a roster update and new campaign maps, or game play elements. Rosters just re-organize existing elements in a new list. At most rosters ad a few new players, which is an easy task because of they just use existing data along with some unique variables to create a "new" player. I get the feeling your just trying to prove me wrong because you don't want to admit I'm right :wink:

Even still, the only system I can remember that had the downloadable roster feature was the Dreamcast, since it had out of the box internet capabilities, and those updates weren't that common. I don't even consider that close to what I could do with the Xbox's harddrive.

You keep reiterating that you don't hate the Xbox, and that you'll probably buy a 360 if the price came down, etc... That's great. I'm in the same boat as you only with a reverse position. I really enjoy my 360, I'm happy with every purchase I've made for it, and will probably get a Wii if the price comes down. I think the wii-mote is cool and can be a lot of fun, however I don't see myself playing it more than my 360. I see it as a secondary system to play occasionally, or as to throw in a party game when people are over.

The main difference here is that different people have different preference, and further more different gamers have different taste.
EverclearGTFABA wrote:Madden 07 for Wii is fantastic. Anyone try it out yet? It has a new game type called hall of fame superstar and it is awesome :!:
I've heard that it is quite awesome.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:08 pm

The running game on Wii madden is so awesome.

bob4775

Post by bob4775 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:34 pm

It like it.. pretty cool. The name just bugs me a little though.
I Will Be Sittin' On Top When It All Goes Wrong Again.
---------------------------------------------------------------