I HOPE YOU ALL WILL HELP ME....

Talk amongst yourselves.
stupid happy

I HOPE YOU ALL WILL HELP ME....

Post by stupid happy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:36 am

I have been doing PR work on behalf of Sumter Regional Hospital in Americus, Ga. Some of you might remember that SRH was struck by a tornado on March 1st of this year (the same storm system that hit that high school in Enterprise, Ala.). The hospital was a total loss...they are having to rebuild completely...actually, they are having to build TWO hospitals within three years -- the permanent one, which is expected to open in 2010, and an interim facility, a 72-bed acute care facility that will open later this year.

SRH is located in one of the poorest communities in Georgia, and the not-for-profit hospital used to serve patients throughout a 10-county area...the need for health care in this rural setting cannot be understated. Despite payments from the hospital's insurer and FEMA, there will still be a shortfall of somewhere in the neighborhood of $12-15 million. That might not sound like a lot of money if you are, say, a professional athlete...but for an economically depressed community, it is a huge sum.

To offset at least a million dollars, SRH has entered a contest sponsored by Siemens to win a free MRI machine. They submitted a 2-minute video (which is incredibly primitive, mostly because no outside help (such as a PR firm, advertising or marketing company, etc.) could be used. But I think in their designated 2 minute time limit, they have managed to tell a very compelling story. There is incredible footage from the hospital's security cameras that captures the exact moments that the hospital was hit -- and unbelievable photos of the devastation in the wake of the storm.

Here's what I am asking: please take two minutes to visit http://www.winanmri.com, select "Sumter Regional Hospital" from the scroll-down menu, watch the video and vote for SRH. (You must watch the video completely -- otherwise, your vote will not be registered.) You don't have to fill out anything, just cast your vote for this deserving hospital. You can vote once per day from any computer -- work, home...doesn't matter. The contest will last until Dec. 31st.

As of 11:33 a.m. today, (10/27/07), we are in second place, only after having our video up for one day! But we need your help. Feel free to copy and paste this message, too, and e-mail your friends, relatives and co-workers -- I am trying to create a grass-roots campaign for the residents in and around Americus, Ga. (which, coincidentally, is about 12 miles from the home of former president Jimmy Carter).

I appreciate your help -- thank you all VERY much.

:)
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

Mr Vaughan

Post by Mr Vaughan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:28 am

It was a good video, although, for future reference, people dressed as Vikings will increase the gravitas.
I have a friend who works as a filing clerk at Siemens here in Nottingham. I'll get her to pull a few strings and you won't be able to move for MRI machines soon.

Anyway, in all seriousness, good luck with the whole thing. I shall continue to vote with a relentless intensity that I usually only reserve for elimination-based reality tv shows about "celebrity" morris dancing. Or something.
Mr Vaughan has spoken

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:46 am

Vaughan, i love you. 8)

and in my lameness, i know i owe you a lengthy tome about my life...you know, for medicinal purposes in the hopes of curing your insomnia. ;)

meanwhile, i can't concentrate right now. i have Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" turned up full-blast, and all I can think about is Kangas on the bonnet of vans.

dammit.
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!