So... what do you guys want?

Talk amongst yourselves.
TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

So... what do you guys want?

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:21 pm

*from the semi-moderator's desk*

All right, folks -

I have decided to post this thread in this forum particularly since there is truly no decent place to put it. But in response to yesterday's fiasco regarding to Art's opinion of this website, I think that we need to do some thinking about this community.

As far as I can remember, it has been a while since rumors and fights were flying everywhere on the boards, practically, as Eric has pointed out to me, during the pre-WTTDC era. Since then, we have pretty much mellowed out. Many troublemakers are gone, members got tired of coming to a semi-inactive message board (then again, lack of action), and let's be honest - probably until yesterday - not many people know about us. After all, we are not the official website of the band nor the MySpace page of the band.

But I understand some of you were offended by Art's comment and some of you were not. Those who were - I can see why. You have been going to his shows for a long time and got to know the man personally as a fan and a friend, and yet, in his eyes, you associate with us here, a place where he might have visited during the downtimes of his life this century when we just opened up this place and were excited about any news from the band. And by excited, I mean we were all over the place anticipating for the new album to come out with the new line-up.

Remember, that was during the first few years this board has been available to us for free, and we had people from three different websites (Everclear Online, Halloween Americana, and Hollywood & Vine/Capitol) come together because this was our last home.

I can see why Art would say mean stuff about this place; he most likely came by during this particular time when people were shocked about his habit with cigars and about his bankruptcy. We might have given him a bad first impression, but lately, that has changed.

Now kudos to all of you who have stuck around and contributed to this place in a positive way. Some of you who are new or came out of the woodwork and posted articles and videos - I think you all need to take the credit here. Some of us might not appreciate it, but still you are doing something for the community and that indeed needs recognition.

We might have our differences and our personal preferences, but that is what makes us a family, dysfunctional or not.

So, if Eric and Chris do not mind, I am up for ideas about how to make this place better. I do have a few ideas of my own, which I think will help control and dispel any rumors and board fights that might creep up in the future:

* In regards to posting new information, I would rather wait until it is OFFICIALLY released by the band via MySpace Music, Facebook (fan pages, of course), and Everclear Online. It appears that gossip has given us a bad rep to Art, and we, as fans, do not want that to happen. Ever.

* In regards to posting live interviews, just double check that such events are legit in case this is a scam. I know they normally are not, but still... You never know.

* Old information, interviews, articles, videos - I have no problem with that at all. Maybe if it is possible to move and post such related stuff into an archive forum. Yeah, might it boring after a while, but I think it would be efficient and interesting to have. Probably add subforums for each era of Everclear's existence to keep it chronologically organized. Just an idea, 'tis all.

* I know we have been really good about treating each other with respect these days, so maybe if we can keep that up, who knows? Maybe the band members will keep in contact with us every once in a while, and maybe we can change Art's mind about us.

So, I am stepping down from my soap box, but any suggestions, guys?
~Elizabeth

"The goal of the emerging scholar is to write books, sell millions, and change the paradigms of the world." ~ Dr. C.D. Oliver on the first day of RELST 251 Fall 2007

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:45 pm

* In regards to posting new information, I would rather wait until it is OFFICIALLY released by the band via MySpace Music, Facebook (fan pages, of course), and Everclear Online. It appears that gossip has given us a bad rep to Art, and we, as fans, do not want that to happen. Ever.

i think that, to your point, it's been so long since rumors were posted here, i honestly can't remember when the last one was/what it was about. but as far as only posting what's "officially" released...well, that's just unrealistic. yes, many of the old rumormongers are gone, but only posting what is "truth is something that a) is virtually impossible to contain and b) subjective.

to wit: i thought Art was an asshole yesterday. that's my opinion, but somebody might substantiate it as fact, while others would say that i was wrong.

so, as far as that goes, i think it's a noble idea, but it's pretty wishful thinking. and anyway, the rumors that aren't true are almost always proven to be false, eventually.

the bottom line is, people will say what they want on a public forum -- and that should be their right, period. that's what free speech is all about...as long as the things that are posted are not harmful or slanderous, it's just a bad idea to try to police posts.

if art wants to sit around and say we suck because we gossip, goody. he thinks he's right, i think he's wrong. but i don't think that you have to mess with a formula that is working and has worked for years. there's nothing wrong with this place.

* I know we have been really good about treating each other with respect these days, so maybe if we can keep that up, who knows? Maybe the band members will keep in contact with us every once in a while, and maybe we can change Art's mind about us.

as for respecting each other, i think we all do. the people who have disagreed with me and others within the last day or so have done so thoughtfully and without attack. again: there's seemingly nothing to fix. not as far as i can tell, anyway. i agree that we can -- and should -- keep it up, but not so that the members of the band can come and see how well the kiddies are all playing in the sandbox...we should continue to be respectful of each other because that's what people in a healthy, functioning community do.

anyway, girlie...you rock for wanting to make sure this is a place where we can all settle in and enjoy each other.

:D
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:22 pm

I definately agree with SH on this one.

The phrase if it ain't broke, don't fix it springs to mind.
I f**king love this band.
And anyone that doesn't is, quite frankly, a c*nt. - Ginger / The Wildhearts

heartspark4ec

Post by heartspark4ec » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:49 pm

Yeah... I haven't been back long, but it looks like the boards are running smoothly and that everyone is getting along. I don't really remember many rumors spreading around since WTTDC...

I agree... there will always be rumors, we will always have that. So I dunno.... maybe we can create a separate news forum, where the only stuff that can be posted is stuff that can actually be backed up by official sites and whatnot? I mean that way we could at least say that yeah, we may have rumors like every other place. But hey, we separate out the cold hard facts that we have.
~*Melissa*~

I wish I could be like all my heros, I wish I could be like all yours too...

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Remember back to before WTTDC, before the bands break up, Art and the band were idols. I knew nothing about his personal life, not much about his personality that wasn't included in interviews or on sleeve notes, and that suited me fine.

Then he comes online, crying and moaning on myspace about how badly the media was treating him and how difficult his divorce was, all typed with piss poor grammer and spelling, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe the man I though was a genuis was such a blithering idiot and a drama queen.

The more I find out about Art Alexakis the more astonished I am that he can write such awesome music, becuase honestly, who with any modecum of intelligence would slate thier fans in an interview?
But, I remind myself that I'm not buying the music becuase of Art's personality, I couldnt care less what he wants, as long as he keeps producing music, becuase in that respect, I think he has never changed.

And for that reason, I don't think we should change one thing about these boards. This board is not dedicated to the man Art Alexakis, but to the band everclear. Its about the music they produce. I couldn't care less if Art reads this board or not, cares what I think or not, hates it or doesnt becuase the purpose of me coming here is not to make friends with Art, its to find out about the music everclear are producing.

I'm an Everclear fan, not an Art fan.

I guess its just about how much value you place in his opinion, obviously you all care what he thinks enough for it to have sparked such debate.
When you find that things are getting wild
then don't you want days like these?

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:31 am

I might have disagreed with SH recently (different opinions on the new album, and what Art said yesterday) but i will have to totally agree with her in this one.

When i started reading TGWOTN's post the first thing that i thought was:

"Why do we have to change H&H? To please Art?"

We are never going to please Art. While this site is being ran by a real fan, and the board members all of us keep being real fans, Art is never going to like this site.

I don't think rumors are that bad. Rumors mean people care enough for the band to rumor about them, and rumors about everclear mean we still care about them. He might or might not like it, but he's still a rockstar for most of us, and that's what rockstars face. When Art and EC were really popular, i don't think they never faced rumors ¬¬ so why get mad now? People barely care for the band; rumors inject life to this board. Just look at what happened yesterday, and the expectation for TVY.

Rumors keep Art alive.

And since Art will never come here and post (face it! he will NEVER do it... he never did in ECO, did he?...........), let us be happy with what we have done!

H&H rocks just the way it is now.

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:47 am

I think I'd have to agree with most of the replies here. Since nothing is out of hand, there really doesn't need to be any real changes. The only thing that should probably be changes is Art's misconception of the site. I've thought about writing him regarding them matter, but all in all it's most likely a lost cause. What are the odds that he will A) take the time to really read it B) Actually take the time to rethink his position. But I'm pretty heard headed, so I may just write him anyways just because I know he's wrong in his belief. The only other thing that might be nice is trying to get more people involved with the boards. Obviously Myspace is pretty active, and now that ECO has re-opened their boards, a lot of new fans, or fans that weren't active online in the past might not know about us.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:50 am

start posting "http://boards.hungryandhollow.com" all over the place -- EC's MySpace page, ECO, etc. -- and they'll come! :D

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:16 pm

That will sure make Art very happy... :lol:

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:03 pm

stupid happy wrote:start posting "http://boards.hungryandhollow.com" all over the place -- EC's MySpace page, ECO, etc. -- and they'll come! :D
Maybe not that outright, just make post on topic, but mention how fans have a great place to hang out and talk at the site.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:32 pm

What do I want.....I am still waiting on that Everclear video game Eric was raving about a few years ago, until I get that I am not satisfied....and I want the Extra Bombastic edition! 8)

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:53 pm

ndfan1993 wrote:What do I want.....I am still waiting on that Everclear video game Eric was raving about a few years ago, until I get that I am not satisfied....and I want the Extra Bombastic edition! 8)
Well if you attended the live video chat I held on April 1st you would have gotten it. Everyone who was there received a free copy.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dude, you freaking SLAY me!

Mr Vaughan

Post by Mr Vaughan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:03 am

My main criticism of this board has always been that it isn't Stalinist enough. From now on, anyone who doesn't toe the line should be shipped off to Siberian gulags and forced to listen Everclear's version of Brown Eyed Girl on repeat.
Mr Vaughan has spoken

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:16 am

ekeown wrote:
ndfan1993 wrote:What do I want.....I am still waiting on that Everclear video game Eric was raving about a few years ago, until I get that I am not satisfied....and I want the Extra Bombastic edition! 8)
Well if you attended the live video chat I held on April 1st you would have gotten it. Everyone who was there received a free copy.
Was it the Extra Bombastic edition, or the Cookbook Edition that was given away free?