Works of Art

Talk amongst yourselves.
Silver Ginger

Works of Art

Post by Silver Ginger » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm

A topic inspired by Eric, Ellen and some kids show I've never heard of called Little Einsteins :D

I hate all the pomposity that the surrounds the art world, but I love looking at art.
I could spend hours wandering through the Tate galleries in London.
Anyway who / what are your favourite artists, paintings etc ? Do you tend to have a broad range of tastes (like me) or do you prefer only one style?

My own favs are
Banksy - his work can be really thought provoking
http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/horizontal_1.htm

John William Waterhouse - his work is sometimes breathtakingly beautiful and life like, especially when you see them in real life
http://www.jwwaterhouse.com/view.cfm?recordid=21

Salvador Dali - I love his work, especially the Abraham Lincoln. Very weird and clever
http://www.dali-gallery.com/html/galler ... ting25.htm
I f**king love this band.
And anyone that doesn't is, quite frankly, a c*nt. - Ginger / The Wildhearts

eemc2k

Post by eemc2k » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:36 pm

I really like Banksy....I love it when people take what is around them and make art from it...brilliant! Or take something unusual and make art from it. I saw a piece of art made from Laundry lint one time!

I don't have a favorite. I like lots of differt art. We have this is our livingroom:

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--102 ... _c1955.htm

I love how it's simple and sketchy.

Not a fan at all of Dali or Esher. Not my thing.

I really like photography...old pictures of poeple...like what were thier circumstances, ya know? I have a photo album that my Great-Grandmother must have put together of a family trip they took in around 1920 or so from Conneticut to California. My Grandmother was a child. There are all these pictures with beautiful captions hand-written taken in Los Angeles when it was still clean, uncrowded and beautiful! Places I know that are now in South-Central. They even wrote the address of the "California Bugalow" they stayed in and it looked like a mansion with a grand fireplace and no houses around it. We looked up the address and it's a in the heart of the slum now...probably project housing. Really interesting stuff!
All Hail Jack - The 1st child to be born to ECO parents Ellen & Eric 9/8/2003 - www.jackscrib.com

MySpace = eemc2k

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 pm

I really don't have a specific style or artist I would declare my favorite, however I can easily name my favorite painting.

My absolute favorite painting is San Giorgio Maggiore at Dusk by Claude Monet. The vivid colors blended together masterfully, the way the water almost seems to move, the peacefulness of it all, wow. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but something about it just connects with me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dusk_in_Venice.jpg
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

eemc2k

Post by eemc2k » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 pm

That is really beautiful! The colors blend so wonderfully...I love this.

I'm telling you....when Jack was tiny, we thought it would be cool if we put a little art in his room. We went to like Prints Plus or something and bought matted 4x6 of a Picasso, a Monet, a Van Gogh, and a Warhol and put them all in a row at eye level and it's really cool to see him have a tiny appreciation of art. Eric even put together a Warhol of Jack....you know, the 4 color pix of the same pix? He blew it up huge and had everyone who came to Jack's 1st birthday party sign it for him. It's hanging up in his room now. It's on the top of one of the pages on his website....like in 2004 somewhere I think. It's pretty neat.
All Hail Jack - The 1st child to be born to ECO parents Ellen & Eric 9/8/2003 - www.jackscrib.com

MySpace = eemc2k

eemc2k

Post by eemc2k » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Here it is:

http://www.jackscrib.com/site/gallery/p ... -Aug04.htm

I suppose I could have done that in the 1st post...buh-doy.

MySpace = eemc2k

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:37 am

Eric,I love the colours on that picture. I bet it would be stunning if you could actually see it 'in the flesh' .

Ellen, I love the pop art of Jack. Very cool.
I'm a fan of pop art. I saw some Roy Lichtenstein work in the Tate, and the scale and colours were amazing.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... 1&ie=UTF-8

I agree with you about photography. We found some old family photo's when we cleared my mother-in-laws house after she died. Some of them were of her grandmother from around the turn of the century, and it was like looking of pictures of my daughter. The family resemblance was striking.

oneschizoangel

Post by oneschizoangel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:56 am

wow, i love all the links ppl posted!! i love art too but i dont subscribe to the pomposity that ginger refers too lol i just enjoy it because it is you know? anyway i loved the dali links i havent seen a piece yet that doesnt make me stop and take a better look. fun fun i hope some more ppl have links for us to look at.
btw i loved the work your husband did on the pics of jack, ellen!! nice site too!!
i dont wanna live forever i just wanna die a beautiful death!

myspace.com/angelwingrl

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:34 am

oneschizoangel wrote:i loved the dali links i havent seen a piece yet that doesnt make me stop and take a better look.
Some of Dali's work is a bit too surreal, even for my tastes, but most of his work I find fascinating. I keep promising myself a visit to the Dali exhibition that's on in Londons South Bank, but something always comes up, and I put off going. Next time I'm in London, I'm gonna have to set aside a few hours to check it out.

I'm trying to find a print at the moment for my daughters bedroom (she's almost 12). She likes pop art, and contemporary photography, and her room is painted blues, lilac and white, so she wants something to fit in with that colour scheme. If anyone has seen anything that fits the bill, I'd be most grateful. Ta

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:58 am

Silver Ginger wrote:Some of Dali's work is a bit too surreal
Huh? Your saying this guy's work is surreal?
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:08 pm

:lol: :lol:

He definately looks like what we Brits would call "not quite the full shilling" !!

eemc2k

Post by eemc2k » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Hey, thanks angel! I need to go and update the site with the last 3 months of pics and captions too. Ya just get lazy sometimes!

Hey Ginger, I've been to the MOMA in London. It was in 1994 on my honeymoon for my.....eehhhmm...1st marriage. But it was an awesome trip!

And....guess what I bouuuuught today?!?! Went to Hobby Lobby to get glass for a broken frame and found a large print of Monet's "Dusk". It's beautiful and was 50% off....$8.00 thank you very mucho! I'll have "my" Eric make a frame for it and it will go perfect with our livingroom set! Thanks for showing it to us Eric!! :)

MySpace = eemc2k

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 pm

[quote="eemc2k"]

Hey Ginger, I've been to the MOMA in London. It was in 1994 on my honeymoon for my.....eehhhmm...1st marriage. But it was an awesome trip!

[/quote

I didn't know you'd visited the UK.
What did you think? Where else did you visit?

eemc2k

Post by eemc2k » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Silver Ginger wrote:
I didn't know you'd visited the UK.
What did you think? Where else did you visit?
Ya, my ex-inlaws asked us where we wanted to go...and of course I said England please! I'm a HUGE Beatles fan, so the choice was obvious. We did all the chessey tourist stuff.

Um, we stayed in London, we went to Madame Tussaud's, Trafalgar Square and shopped and ate. We went to MOMA, to The Tower, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guards. We went on a guide boat tour down the Thames to Greenwhich...went to the Royal Observatory to stand on either side of the "Mean time" line...that was fun. Oh, we went to the Clink (the most notorious medieval prison) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clink ....That was REALLY cool and freaky!

And, of course we went to Abbey Road and took tons of pictures and took pictures walking across the street and all that...it was super fun! We went to lots of pubs too....it was a really great time! I definitely want to come back someday with Eric and Jack!

MySpace = eemc2k

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:00 pm

eemc2k wrote:And....guess what I bouuuuught today?!?! Went to Hobby Lobby to get glass for a broken frame and found a large print of Monet's "Dusk". It's beautiful and was 50% off....$8.00 thank you very mucho! I'll have "my" Eric make a frame for it and it will go perfect with our livingroom set! Thanks for showing it to us Eric!! :)
Cool! I'll have to check to see if my Hobby lobby has a print. I'd love to have one for the home and my office. I only have it as an oversized poster that was tacked up on the wall of my college apartment. I saw it for the first time at a poster sale they had on campus when I first got my apartment. I still have that poster in my garage or attic.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:07 pm

eemc2k wrote:
Ya, my ex-inlaws asked us where we wanted to go...and of course I said England please! I'm a HUGE Beatles fan, so the choice was obvious. We did all the chessey tourist stuff.

Um, we stayed in London, we went to Madame Tussaud's, Trafalgar Square and shopped and ate. We went to MOMA, to The Tower, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guards. We went on a guide boat tour down the Thames to Greenwhich...went to the Royal Observatory to stand on either side of the "Mean time" line...that was fun. Oh, we went to the Clink (the most notorious medieval prison) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clink ....That was REALLY cool and freaky!

And, of course we went to Abbey Road and took tons of pictures and took pictures walking across the street and all that...it was super fun! We went to lots of pubs too....it was a really great time! I definitely want to come back someday with Eric and Jack!
Cool. I've never been to 'the clink'. I love that sort of stuff. I'll have to check it out.