Radio Radio

Talk amongst yourselves.
heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:35 am

ndfan1993 wrote:
stupid happy wrote:realizing that everclear will be played alongside the likes of Celine Dion and Huey Lewis literally makes my flesh crawl. <<shudder>>
Could be worse, I once heard a Will Smith song, Everclear's Wonderful, then a 50 Cent song, followed by a Journey song.
That sounds like a 'JACK' format. We have one here called 'Charlie' and I heard Madonna 'Like a Prayer' into Creed's "Higher" into that 'apple bottom jeans' song. But I like the format as apposed to the other stations here. I support my husbands top 40 but I don't like all the music on it. The closest thing I had to my dream station was 99x in ATL and they blew that up. Fuckers. I used to listen to LIVE 105 online outta San Fran, but they don't stream anymore. Gotta find a good one that streams....any suggestions?
"I take my pills...and babies cry...and all I hear
is what's playin' thru the inflight radio..."

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:51 am

heroingirl wrote:Gotta find a good one that streams....any suggestions?
Cumulus kept 99X "alive" as an online (99X.com) and HD2 station. Music mix is similar, but the djs are meh (though Steve is back doing middays - at least until his contract runs out).

For something with a little more variety, I sometimes listen to KBZT in San Diego. 91X out there may be closer to what Live 105 was playing. (Did Live 105 start streaming again? They've got some kind of CBS Radio Player thingy on their site.)

heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Chris B wrote:
heroingirl wrote:Gotta find a good one that streams....any suggestions?
Cumulus kept 99X "alive" as an online (99X.com) and HD2 station. Music mix is similar, but the djs are meh (though Steve is back doing middays - at least until his contract runs out).

For something with a little more variety, I sometimes listen to KBZT in San Diego. 91X out there may be closer to what Live 105 was playing. (Did Live 105 start streaming again? They've got some kind of CBS Radio Player thingy on their site.)
Hmm, dunno. Haven't checked it lately. They used to a thing at 5pm for the
drive home called the A.D.D. Hour. And they'd just play like 30 sec. snip-its
of the hook of the song. I thought it was genius! A lot of work on the part of
the jock but a great music hour for sure. Thanks for the 91x tip, I'll check it out and see what 105 in san fran is up to these days too. :)

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:05 pm

have i mentioned lately how much i love XM Radio? Sirius is awesome, too. FM radio blows total chunks, and i can't wait until satellite radio is piped in to every business, car and waiting room on Earth.

of course, even Satellite radio will eventually get all fucked up with 50 minutes of commercials and 10 minutes of actual music...but until then, i'm an XM devotee.
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:14 pm

Depends on what stations you listen to. My husband station does a top of the hour station id then into music with segways into next songs by id's or a jock talking b/t the songs ending and next one beginning. He does a stop down at 30 min after the hour with 6-8 minutes worth of commercials then again at 53 min after the hour with another set of 6-8 min worth of commercials. After it's all said and done your getting at LEAST 44-48 mins of music with 12-16 min worth of commercials. Gotta get money to pay for the contests you can win and concerts sometimes brought to the area. And FM radio is FREE. Sirus and xm you have to PAY for and almost 1/2 of those station DO in fact have commercials on them. I don't have a chip on my shoulder about satelite radio do I? ;) haha

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:00 pm

the annual fee is *well* worth the price i pay to not have to listen to any freaking, moronic morning crew, or those god-awful rush hour traffic reports. and with XM, i don't get 46-48 mins. of commercials -- i get 60 minutes of whatever music i feel like listening to. it's nirvana. commercial radio blows, but at least it exists for those who prefer free music. besides, it gives the kids who listen to it something to work toward -- they can go to school, get jobs and earn enough money to pay the $100/year not to have to listen to a bunch of blathering idiots and the radio version of that "Head-On" commercial. ;)

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:09 pm

I understand where you are coming from Christal since it can have an effect on your family's future income, but satellite is a great service. However the "almost 1/2 of those stations" that do have commercials (BTW closer to 1/3 by my count) are not music stations. None of the music stations on Sirius or XM feature commercials (only the talk and entertainment channels).

Yes you have to pay, but compare the concept of cable television. You have to pay for cable too and you get specialized content just like with satellite radio, but with cable you still get commercials on most channels, so commercial free on the majority of stations is definitely fine by me. People mocked the concept of a premium television service when it was introduced, and now (at least in the environment I've grown up in) it is the norm to have some form of paid TV service (cable, satellite TV, IPTV, whatever). Now people mock the concept of paying for a premium radio service...

I definitely don't mind paying, I feel you get a superior product, not only because of the lack of commercials and mundane DJ chit chat, but because of the great musical niche offerings satellite radio provides. They can get away with formats, and content, that traditional radio can't. Don't forget that, with satellite you have the ability to keep the same stations no matter where you are in the country, a true blessing on roadtrip. I always hated roadtrips when you get board of your CDs and try to find some station to listen to while in the middle of no where...

Anyway I purchased a cheap satellite radio after Christmas of 2005 just to check it out, and I honestly haven't listened to traditional radio since. When I purchased my current car, I specifically wanted one with satellite radio. If you don't mind paying for it, its worth at least checking it out. Otherwise, keep listening to the free stuff, which I'm sure have made many improvements (from the listeners perspective) due to the introduction of satellite.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:13 pm

word.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:28 pm

I wrote all of that then posted it, and then saw you had already commented on it...oh well.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:39 pm

it's okay. great minds think alike. 8)

but to Christal's point, and also to yours, Eric, about how this new phenomenon of Satellite Radio impacts the many people whose livelihoods depend on it, i know second-hand how it can be. i have a friend who i literally grew up with here in Atlanta -- he's a longtime Atlanta DJ named Bob Bailey (i'm certain that ChrisB knows who i'm talking about). anyway, Bob bounced around a couple of local FM stations in his long, incredible career (he was at 96 Rock for...god, maybe a couple of decades!), and left radio a few years ago (i *believe* DaveFM was the last station he worked at). anyway, i asked him not too long ago why he doesn't try to get back into commercial radio, and he said that it's just such a mess now, he doesn't even want to get near it anymore. he's moved on to other things, but he said it wasn't easy, making the transition from doing something he'd done all of his career, to having to do something *else* when he was in his early 50's. but despite how hard it was to make the transition, he said he is MUCH happier not being in commercial radio anymore -- that what once was a really cool way to earn a living became a nightmare for jocks, station managers and the like. he's convinced that commercial radio is quickly becoming a thing of the past, and soon, it'll go the way of VHF and UHF TV frequencies (which will no longer be used, come 2009).

and for the record, he does have satellite radio and LOVES it...he, too, says it's a superior product, and doesn't mind in the slightest that he has to pay for it.

heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Well, the good thing is, that if ever when satalitte ever becomes an issue with free radio, which it won't in the next 10-15 years at least, he'll be too far up the corporate ladder of radio to be worried by it, jock wise at least. Not only is he an on-air personality, he's the operations manager. Which means he's the boss of the station, it's jocks, contests, commercials, etc. In 10 years of radio he went from being an overnight board op in San Angelo, TX. to an operations manager in market 58. We're not concerned with it, yet. ;)

And 100 flippin bucks a year? I thought it was like 30! Well, at least with free
radio you can win that money as apposed to paying for it. haha His promotion right now is 'Packed Pradas' There Prada purses filled with Prada sunglasses, tickets to show, and $500 cash. Next week or the week after, they're giving away free gas. Can't get that on satelitte. ;)

Don't think i'm mad by any means. I'm just a defender of free radio. :)

heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:59 pm

Well, everyone has the dream of being THAT jock. The Stern or the Imos of their day. But if your soley into being a jock and nothing more in radio, your days are numbered unless your great like the 2 above mentioned.
For my husband, he'll never have to be like the guy you mentioned b/c he
has a title and always will. Air-personality isn't a title, it's a lifestyle that will
change as the seasons do and once their done with you, your done. :(
Some ppl get out and go to the 'dark side' which is records, but even their time
is limited. We had to friends get axed yesterday when the Capital/Virgin merger happened. 2 guys that are staples in the record industry...gone. They
too are older and will probably have to move on to other things. But, they were
good at what they did.

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm

heroingirl wrote:And 100 flippin bucks a year? I thought it was like 30!
i actually have no idea what we pay per year. my husband is the XM procurer and orderer, and i don't ask how much -- i just shut my mouth and listen. 8)

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 pm

heroingirl wrote:Well, at least with free
radio you can win that money as apposed to paying for it. haha His promotion right now is 'Packed Pradas' There Prada purses filled with Prada sunglasses, tickets to show, and $500 cash. Next week or the week after, they're giving away free gas. Can't get that on satelitte.
actually, you can win stuff from satellite channels. Sirius is giving away great tickets and backstage passes for meet & greets to Springsteen shows all over the country these days (for example -- i don't know if they're offering other giveaways related to other tours), but i haven't heard any giveaways on XM music stations just yet...and that's just fine with me, because the more they have to promote the giveaways, the less time i get to listen to music. and i sure as heckfire don't tune in to see if i can win something! ;)

heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Oh well good for them. Glad to see that they're resorting to the ways of free radio to keep their listeners. ;) I'm teasing. On that note, on our trip to TX to visit his in-laws our upgraded rental car had XM and I listened to the Sinatra and Friends station the whole time. I love me some Michael Buble. Damn he's sexy....and his voice makes me melt. :oops: