What's going on with "My" Eric

Talk amongst yourselves.
eemc2k

What's going on with "My" Eric

Post by eemc2k » Fri May 09, 2008 11:56 am

So hey guys. I've not been around for a few days, and here's the reason...

My husband, Eric, started having slight chest pains on Tuesday morning. He had his boss drive him to the hospital at Creighton. They did blood tests, EKG, Echocardiogram and it all look OK. However, he did have a heart attack in Jan. 2003 and had to have 2 stints (to open up clogged arteries) in his heart at that point. With stints, they just go in through your leg artery and insert them that way.

So, they wanted to do a cardiac-catheterization the next day to find out what the problem was. That, again, is where they put you in a twilight sleep and go through your arm or leg artery with a tiny camera and shot in dye in your heart to see where there may be blockage in your arteries. So they did that on Wed. and found that 2 of the 3 arteries had like 95% blockage in 2 different places and that is why he is having pain when he exerts himself. Unfortunately, the place where they placed the 2 stints 5 years ago have the most blockage and if they put more stints in, they will just block up in another couple of years. Now, he is only 39 and, unfortunately, this all runs in his family...he just started a lot earlier then most and the smoking and bad eating habits didn't help things along either.

Creighton is a teaching hospital, so the Residences, Fellows, Attendings, Cardiologists and Thoracic Surgeon all discussed the options until Thursday afternoon to figure out what would be the best way to prolong his life and have him to be able to live a "normal" life as well.

So, yesterday, the surgeon came in to tell us that they all felt the best option for him was to do double cardiac bypass surgery. So basically, they are going to take a vein from his leg and sew it onto the aorta and "bypass" the bad artery and attach the new vein to the bottom of the old artery where there is no clog. They will try to do that on 2 of the arteries. The other one is so small and so far down the line that they may just stick a stint in there for now. They told us this bypass should last a good 10 years and then we will have "go from there."

He's having the open heart surgery on Monday early in the morning and it should take around 4 hours. We are both scared shitless, to say the least, so any prayers, good thoughts, etc...would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading this huge long thing and I will keep you guys updated on what's going on.

EL
All Hail Jack - The 1st child to be born to ECO parents Ellen & Eric 9/8/2003 - www.jackscrib.com

MySpace = eemc2k

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Fri May 09, 2008 12:24 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that Ellen. I can't begin to imagine what you're all going through. I'll be thinking of you both, and wishing Eric a successful, and speedy recovery.
My heartfelt best wishes to you both, and your families.
I f**king love this band.
And anyone that doesn't is, quite frankly, a c*nt. - Ginger / The Wildhearts

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:27 pm

Silver Ginger wrote:I'm really sorry to hear that Ellen. I can't begin to imagine what you're all going through. I'll be thinking of you both, and wishing Eric a successful, and speedy recovery.
My heartfelt best wishes to you both, and your families.
Silver said it nicely, hope all goes well and everything gets back to normal and fine.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Fri May 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Oh my god! It's hard to believe...my best wishes to your family.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri May 09, 2008 3:33 pm

JESUS! :shock: how utterly scary for you! thoughts and prayers to Eric, my love. please let us know how everything goes once you get a chance -- i'm sure all of us will be thinking super-positive thoughts for you guys....
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Sat May 10, 2008 12:01 am

Wow, I'm sorry to here about that happening to your husband. Best wishes and a speedy recovery!
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

eemc2k

Post by eemc2k » Sat May 10, 2008 9:46 am

Hey, thanks guys! I can't even tell you how damn freaked out we are...but it's given us both a chance to sit back and talk what is really important and the positive changes to make in the future.

Thanks for all the prayers and what-not. It's cool to know that people you don't even "know" are caring about us. :)

I'll keep ya posted - EL
All Hail Jack - The 1st child to be born to ECO parents Ellen & Eric 9/8/2003 - www.jackscrib.com

MySpace = eemc2k

sunflower

Post by sunflower » Sat May 10, 2008 7:27 pm

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you guys are in my prayers! tell eric he better get better quickly or i'll personally kick his behind!!!

Focus Driving Rocker Mom!

sunflower

Post by sunflower » Mon May 12, 2008 4:27 pm

i've been thinking of you all day. i hope eric is doing well! please let us know as soon as you can!!!

Focus Driving Rocker Mom!

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Mon May 12, 2008 6:15 pm

ditto...tell Eric we hope he's up and doing that Stupid Dance real soon! 8)

eemc2k

Post by eemc2k » Tue May 13, 2008 9:46 am

Dear Wonderful Friends-

First of all, Eric’s surgery was postponed until 12 noon yesterday so I didn't get home until very late last night.. The great news is that Eric came through his surgery with flying colors! They ended up only having to do one bypass and they said the rest of his heart looked good.

He was in surgery for about 4 hours, but the prep. time was at least 3 hours…so it was an extremely long day! However, I was surrounded by some incredible people whom we consider family from church. Pastor Tracy, Kelly, Brian and Caryn all stayed there to keep me sane and occupied! Pastor Les's phone calls helped me keep it together and kept me close to The Lord and I can't thank him enough fore genuinely caring about Eric, Jack and me with everything he has. Incredible! :D

When I left the hospital at around 10 pm last night, Eric had the breathing tube out, was sitting up a little and talking and joking with me. He will be in ICU for a couple of days and when he will be in a regular room for a few days. If all goes as planned, he will be in the hospital for about 5 days.

Again, thank you for caring so much about our family; we appreciate it more than you will ever know!

Peace, love and blessings to all – Ellen

MySpace = eemc2k

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:18 am

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

it's *so* amazing how quickly they can get heart patients up and around these days...back when my grandfather had bypass surgery, he was in the hospital for a MONTH -- it was a LOT more invasive and hard on the body than it is today...a dear friend of mine had triple-bypass surgery about 8 years ago, and like Eric will do, he went home within days of the operation. he did say that it really hurt whenever he coughed, and the first time he sneezed, he said the pain was, for that moment, unbearable...so prepare yourself for that eventuality, and maybe warn Eric that it hurts only for that second during the sneeze, but the pain is over and done immediately.

bless his heart -- and yours! i'm so glad he's going to be okay! and i'm VERY glad that you had so many "crutches" to lean on...i can only imagine how stressful yesterday was for you, sweets. please give Eric my love! and thanks for the update!!!

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 am

That's fantastic news. Please pass on my best wishes for a quick recovery to Eric, and my best wishes to you too Ellen. I'm so pleased for the both of you. :D
I f**king love this band.
And anyone that doesn't is, quite frankly, a c*nt. - Ginger / The Wildhearts

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Tue May 13, 2008 11:47 am

Great! I'm so glad to hear that things are going so smoothly, or at least as smooth as could be expected in this situation.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Tue May 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Oh man thats good news, good luck with everything.