zimmer vs.martinez -- what do you think?

Talk amongst yourselves.
BigMike

Post by BigMike » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:51 am

stupid happy wrote:heh heh heh...of course we don't. who are you, again?

"don't cut the red wire" -- ummmmm...from 'the english patient' or from that underwater movie with that cute boy w/blue eyes who's married to amy madigan (the wife in 'field of dreams') and that chick that was in that flick with paul newman and tom cruise? or just a quote from a typical day at work?
BigMike wrote:
stupid happy wrote:i have that same thought at least 10 times a day, matty. heh heh....
Yeah, like we talk that much....oh wait...
You know my phone number - 202 456-1414.

No idea which movie you're referring to. It's more likely to be something we here at work. The last thing Bullethead says before this place takes on a nice, soothing green glow...

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:57 am

hello, white house?
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:19 am

Matty wrote:
sdilley14 wrote:Pedro didn't "grab his head and throw him to the ground" like people are making it out to be.
Yes, he did.

I really don't understand how you can see it as anything else. Arguing over whether or not it was justified, I can see. But you can't deny that he grabbed him and intentionally threw him to the ground. That's exactly what he did.
Hahaha, no way. I've seen the clip played over and over and over. The guy charged Pedro, and Pedro just tried to make him miss, not grab him and throw him. And besides, when there's a huge brawl going on and you have about 2 seconds to react, it's pretty tough to think about who's coming at you, how old they are and what exactly you should do. I thought Pedro handled the situation pretty well. :)
everybody everywhere wishes they could tell, everybody everywhere to go to hell . . .

Weird_Inside

Post by Weird_Inside » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:24 am

If you are honestly THAT old - you have no business rushing out to joing ANY fight.

Pedro did probably the most non-violent thing that he could to avoid the situation.

I think that since everyone is making such a hub bub about it - they should have Zimmer charge at him again, only this time let him actually throw a punch and defend himself and then let people compare the two.
"Yes I do believe there is a violent thing inside of me"

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:42 am

Weird_Inside wrote:Pedro did probably the most non-violent thing that he could to avoid the situation.
My point exactly, thank you! :)
everybody everywhere wishes they could tell, everybody everywhere to go to hell . . .

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:00 pm

regardless of who was at fault, it was still the ugliest scene i've seen in baseball. and i've seen some pretty ugly things in my long fandom. it was such a shame to watch, all the way around.

and don't get me started on that whole weird bullpen thing....

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:21 pm

Yeah it was pretty ugly, but I've seen some other pretty ugly stuff in baseball. One that comes to mind is early this year when Clemens beamed Piazza...that look on Piazza's face was scary...looked like he was posessed for a moment there. Also, Roberto Alomar spitting in an umpire's face was pretty ugly. Another one that comes to mind is George Brett charging out of the dugout when the whole pine tar bat incident went down...although that looked a little more comical than ugly, lol. :)

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:22 pm

i saw all those too...still not as ugly as a 72-year-old coach taking a header face-first at a benches-clearing "misunderstanding."

those are all good examples of the worst of baseball, tho -- and god knows they're ridiculous moments.

(and for my money...alomar = dickhead. piazza = dickhead. brett = moron.)
sdilley14 wrote:Yeah it was pretty ugly, but I've seen some other pretty ugly stuff in baseball. One that comes to mind is early this year when Clemens beamed Piazza...that look on Piazza's face was scary...looked like he was posessed for a moment there. Also, Roberto Alomar spitting in an umpire's face was pretty ugly. Another one that comes to mind is George Brett charging out of the dugout when the whole pine tar bat incident went down...although that looked a little more comical than ugly, lol. :)
Last edited by stupid happy on Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:53 pm

stupid happy wrote: (and for my money...alomar = dickhead. piazza = dickhead. brett = moron.)
My thoughts exactly. I don't hate Piazza as much, but Alomar is definately an asshole and Brett is a moron. Not sure if any of them stack up to, say, John Rocker or Albert Belle.

Matty

Post by Matty » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:36 pm

stupid happy wrote:regardless of who was at fault, it was still the ugliest scene i've seen in baseball.
Forgive me nothing.

heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:47 am

sdilley14 wrote:Not sure if any of them stack up to, say, John Rocker or Albert Belle.
Hey now...John Rocker was an amazing closer. Who cares if he was racist or
homophobic. What mattered is he'd throw 9 pitches in the bottom of the 9th and the game was over.

As for the all the BS going on in the ALCS, fuck the yankees, let someone else win it for a change and god damnit Nomar, hit the fucking ball...you know that little white round thing you hit with that big piece of wood in your hand???
Remember they're paying ya to field AND hit ya big dummy! Pedros the shit, he'll pitch again if a game 7 is needed and I belive there will be a game 7 oh yes indeed! ;)

~*Christal*~
"I take my pills...and babies cry...and all I hear
is what's playin' thru the inflight radio..."

plight

Post by plight » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:01 am

heroingirl wrote:
sdilley14 wrote:Not sure if any of them stack up to, say, John Rocker or Albert Belle.
Hey now...John Rocker was an amazing closer. Who cares if he was racist or
homophobic. What mattered is he'd throw 9 pitches in the bottom of the 9th and the game was over.

As for the all the BS going on in the ALCS, fuck the yankees, let someone else win it for a change and god damnit Nomar, hit the fucking ball...you know that little white round thing you hit with that big piece of wood in your hand???
Albert Belle was just a big baby, but he wasn't a complete racist xenophobe like Rocker was.

Also, Rocker wasn't that good towards more recent years. I catched him at a minor league game here in Oklahoma City a few years ago when he was on the Texas Rangers farm team and he looked simple horrible. He looked like he lost all passion for the game.

As far as my beloved Yanks go, Zimmer should have kept his ass on the bench. He's lucky Pedro didn't have a bat on him or it could have got real ugly real quick. If you want to talk about a real beating, I have seen no one mention Oklahoma completely destroying Texas this past Saturday, 65-13. ;)

My prediction for the series, The Yanks crush the Marlins in 5. When you have the largest payroll in Baseball, it's easy to justify winning the most Series. ;)

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:06 am

the goat bleats...ugh.

rocker = asshole of perhaps the most idiotic variety
neidermeyer = DEAD!

speaking of braves baseball players...last year i was in a dentist's office, and there was this profile of former braves reliever tim spooneybarger (can't remember who he was traded to -- christal? buehler? buehler? anyone?) in atlanta magazine (or perhaps another local rag, jezebel), and it listed his favorite foods, his favorite cars, blah blah...anyway, his favorite bands? EVERCLEAR AND THE BEATLES.

where have you gone, spooneybarger? an ec board hopes that you are not through...woo woo woo....

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:27 am

plight wrote: Hey now...John Rocker was an amazing closer. Who cares if he was racist or
Haha, John Rocker SUCKED the past two years...simply put. He was a hell of a closer for a while there, but he has lost it and I don't know if he'll ever find it again.

As for the World Series...Cubs in 6 or 7, I haven't decided yet over (unfortunately) prolly the Yankoffs.

heroingirl

Post by heroingirl » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:13 am

stupid happy wrote:there was this profile of former braves reliever tim spooneybarger (can't remember who he was traded to -- christal? buehler? buehler? anyone?)
Jesus, with all my years of braves knowledge you'd think I'd never forget the name spoonebarger but alas, my mind is growing old and I don't remember him nor where he went either. :( But that's crazy he listed EC as his fav. band.

~*Christal*~
"I take my pills...and babies cry...and all I hear
is what's playin' thru the inflight radio..."