Bad musical taste

Got a band you have to tell everyone about? Do it here.
worldofnoise
Bad musical taste

Post by worldofnoise » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Today in gym I picked up a RHCP cd that is laying by the CD player that is in our weight cage and put it on and it starts out playing Under the Bridge. Within a minute these two white guys come over and picked up some shitty rap CD and tried to put it in but I gave them a hard time. Then today for the Billboard music awards 85% of the bands were either rap or emo or that sort, the bands that come out of nowhere and go away just as fast. My point/question is why is everyone listening to this sort of music now it wont last and it sucks.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

Josh Santo

Post by Josh Santo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 am

One word: sheep.

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 am

Why did people listen to Backstreet Boys 5 years ago? Why were Good Charlotte and Simple Plan huge 3 years ago? They're on TV and radio all the time, and it's what's popular for that reason. There's always going to be annoying mainstream music that sucks and you can't stand it because it's on MTV or the radio aaaallll the time. That's just how it goes. If a label puts enough money in the hands of these outlets they can make pretty much anything popular. And besides, I'm sure the music we like and think is cool prolly annoys some people too. Oh well....fuck em :)
everybody everywhere wishes they could tell, everybody everywhere to go to hell . . .

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:35 pm

I actually laughed out loud reading this thread. That hasnt happened in so long.

Sorry, but you can't criticize mediocre mainstream music in the same breath that you praise the Chili Peppers. Not without being a hypocrite, at least.

At least the emo bands making derivative nonsense rock for 15 year olds are reasonably young. The Chili Peppers have got to be almost 40 and are still pumping out the same juvenile for-the-masses shit they were when they started.

Um, also, all bands come out of nowhere. Except supergroups.. and they suck. And yeah, darn, I hate those bands that disappear from the spotlight superquick. Not like Everclear, and their remarkable 4 years on top of mainstream music. :roll:
Oh, those sloppy tarts have sulphurized hearts.

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:59 pm

HydrogenElf wrote:I actually laughed out loud reading this thread. That hasnt happened in so long.

Sorry, but you can't criticize mediocre mainstream music in the same breath that you praise the Chili Peppers. Not without being a hypocrite, at least.

At least the emo bands making derivative nonsense rock for 15 year olds are reasonably young. The Chili Peppers have got to be almost 40 and are still pumping out the same juvenile for-the-masses shit they were when they started.

Um, also, all bands come out of nowhere. Except supergroups.. and they suck. And yeah, darn, I hate those bands that disappear from the spotlight superquick. Not like Everclear, and their remarkable 4 years on top of mainstream music. :roll:
It was kind of Hypocritical.

but it was more of a complaint on the mainstream groups that, in a one or two years, will be completely dead because there are some groups that you can just tell. Most groups seem to slowly gain popularity, but groups like Panic! at the Disco seemed to come literally overnight. You cornered me, I just hate this "new age" mainstream music. But the Beatles were together for a short time and look at them, these bands don't stand a chance.
Last edited by worldofnoise on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:05 pm

HydrogenElf wrote:I actually laughed out loud reading this thread. That hasnt happened in so long.

3rd degree burn. zing. and i agree with every word. cheers hydrogenelf.

red_hot_chilli_peppers

Post by red_hot_chilli_peppers » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:15 pm

AMERICA HAS SHITTY TASTE. End of story. The average American music fan does not exist. We are so segregated in our musical tastes, we have no concensus.

Stick Man

Post by Stick Man » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:15 pm

I dunno, a lot of people own Dark Side of the Moon, it was on Billboard's Top 200 for 14 years.
More people probably own Thriller though.
In the game of chess you can never let an adversary see your pieces.

Blake

Post by Blake » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:57 pm

Why do people like crappy music?
The answer is people are dumb and they'll like any garbage the radio plays.
The Red Hot chili peppers are included in that. :lol:
How in the hell can i ever get SMART with YOU?-me

the_laughing_world

Re: Bad musical taste

Post by the_laughing_world » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:32 am

because these bands are on tv a LOT. some people go through phases on what is popular. its just like fashon...seems to change all the time and i can't help but laugh sometimes. :lol:

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:12 pm

People don't buy good music, they buy what they hear. The majors found out during the peak "alternative" years that finding good bands and promoting them didn't fare any better than promoting garbage, but finding good bands required way more effort. (They realized that only a handful of people actually had ears for finding good music, and those people didn't typically enjoy toeing the party line.)

But even in those peak early 90s years, garbage still outsold good music, because that's what people heard more often than anything else. Take 1992. Pearl Jam's Ten, Nirvana's Nevermind, RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik all sold a ton of copies. But, that year, they were outsold by Garth Brooks' Ropin the Wind and Michael Jackson's Dangerous.

To date, the best-selling album released in 1992? The Bodyguard soundtrack (Whitney Houston). Kenny G's Breathless was also released in 1992, and, to date, has sold more copies than either Ten, Nevermind, or Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Honestly, it's kind of a good thing that good music isn't at the top of the charts. During Nevermind's peak, you could hardly get away from it. By the summer of 1992, I didn't think I ever wanted to hear it again. Anything that hits the top of the charts, even good music, has an extremely high burnout rate.

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 pm

Chris B wrote: Honestly, it's kind of a good thing that good music isn't at the top of the charts. During Nevermind's peak, you could hardly get away from it. By the summer of 1992, I didn't think I ever wanted to hear it again. Anything that hits the top of the charts, even good music, has an extremely high burnout rate.
I agree completely, Chris.
I love finding people who like the same music as me, or turning someone onto some of the stuff I like, but I'd hate for it to become mainstream. That's not because I don't want success for the musicians, or because I'm a music snob, far from it, it's simply because it all tends to turn to complete shite once it begins to appeal to the masses.
I f**king love this band.
And anyone that doesn't is, quite frankly, a c*nt. - Ginger / The Wildhearts

Eager To Please

Post by Eager To Please » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:55 pm

HydrogenElf wrote:

Well. actually most of the Chili Peppers are in their mid 40's.

and there is no way you can say that they are putting out the same stuff they started with. not if youve ever heard any of their original stuff.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmG9XQvd8rA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmG9XQvd8rA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6X5_9NLfo4M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6X5_9NLfo4M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

http://www.stadium-arcadium.com/main/vi ... -smile.htm

watch those two, then the link. 3 different periods from the chili peppers. Tell me that theyre the same
H&H Fantasy Football : 0-2

www.myspace.com/cochisechilipepper

Hard Love

Post by Hard Love » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:08 am

[quote=Red_hot_chilli_pepers]AMERICA HAS SHITTY TASTE.[/quote]

It's the same all over the world mate. Garuntee you. Whatever gets airplay and spotlight gets chart spots. I'm not sure about America, but that Sandi thom single! Je-sus! You couldn't escape it, and it sold like hotcakes...

Its just a fact of life. But you can't dismiss all of it- some it is a hard working band or singer, who hit a lucky break and a company threw them into the spotlight and they sell well. It's lucky for them at the time, and means theres some quality arround, however the affect of the spotlight means they probably will get dismissed :( But thats ok, theres another one next week.

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Modern music is just soooo fergalicious.