Early "Heroin Girl" written for Colorfinger LP

Anything and everything Everclear.

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:16 pm

northwestrocker wrote:Alex got this from Art's garbage? Pshaw, we all know the only paper that's in Art's trash are his tax forms.
Ouch! Low blow man!
everybody everywhere wishes they could tell, everybody everywhere to go to hell . . .

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:38 pm

What can I say, I strive to aim below the belt.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:43 pm

northwestrocker wrote:What can I say, I strive to aim below the belt.
Well after that one going below the belt to Art wont do anything.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

Chris B

Re: Early "Heroin Girl" written for Colorfinger LP

Post by Chris B » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:17 pm

Colorfinger wrote:What's even weirder is how completely different the lyrics are for this song than the one that we know and love on Sparkle & Fade.

most of the songs are pretty well formed by this point but i guess it makes sense that heroin girl was written around this time!
There is no way that that's the same "Heroin Girl". It would be nearly impossible to sing those lyrics over the music of the "Heroin Girl" that we know. More than likely, Art wrote that song, ditched it, and re-used the concept.

I would assume this sheet came from one of the other members of Colorfinger (e.g., Buzz or Eric) or Mike Dodson (aka Myke Destiny), who helped Art run Shindig. Mike, in particular, has been rather forthcoming with items from this period, including the Colorfinger / Shakin Brave / Easy Hoes material (aka, Neverclear). The torrent that Alex put together a couple of years ago from Mike's tapes was nothing short of stellar.

Shame about the watermarking. Some of the pencilled-in notes are rather interesting - for example, that "Invisible" was considered for inclusion (written to the right of the crossed-out "Anita").

Josh Santo

Post by Josh Santo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:23 am

singing the lyrics to myself, it seems to have the same rythem to it as....

can't think of what it's called....that " i am, dreaming of a michigan girlfriend". But i also can't hear all of it in my head

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:24 am

Thanks Alex, you find the most awesome stuff!!!
Stupid college boy, act like you think you're tough

evermatt

Post by evermatt » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:44 am

Detroit

Femaldihide

Re: Early "Heroin Girl" written for Colorfinger LP

Post by Femaldihide » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:32 am

Chris B wrote:The torrent that Alex put together a couple of years ago from Mike's tapes was nothing short of stellar.
woah, what? where was this?

Josh Santo

Post by Josh Santo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:02 am

detroit....good call evermatt. thanks.

Skoobs

Post by Skoobs » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:55 pm

thats pretty impressive

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:24 pm

Looks like Chris was right about the lyrics not matching up. I was talking to Art last night at the Austin show and I mentioned to Art that the lyrics for a really early version of Heroin Girl that was intended to be recorded for Deep In The Heart Of The Beast In The Sun came out on the internet. He looked a bit confused, so I said that the song was called Esther with Heroin Girl in parenthesis and it talked about Esther being underage and carrying your baby. It suddenly came to him and he said that wasn’t Heroin Girl, it was a song called Esther the Heroin Girl. He said that they are different songs even though the character/name Esther is used in both. He said that thet song had a real “chunky guitar riffâ€
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

Colorfinger
Site Contributor

Post by Colorfinger » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 am

[quote="ekeown"]Looks like Chris was right about the lyrics not matching up. I was talking to Art last night at the Austin show and I mentioned to Art that the lyrics for a really early version of Heroin Girl that was intended to be recorded for Deep In The Heart Of The Beast In The Sun came out on the internet. He looked a bit confused, so I said that the song was called Esther with Heroin Girl in parenthesis and it talked about Esther being underage and carrying your baby. It suddenly came to him and he said that wasn’t Heroin Girl, it was a song called Esther the Heroin Girl. He said that they are different songs even though the character/name Esther is used in both. He said that thet song had a real “chunky guitar riffâ€

JBarx

Post by JBarx » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:47 am

[quote="ekeown"] He looked a bit confused, so I said that the song was called Esther with Heroin Girl in parenthesis and it talked about Esther being underage and carrying your baby. It suddenly came to him and he said that wasn’t Heroin Girl, it was a song called Esther the Heroin Girl. He said that they are different songs even though the character/name Esther is used in both. He said that thet song had a real “chunky guitar riffâ€

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:41 pm

JBarx wrote:How long have you been on such a casual basis with Art? I'm new to the site so I don't know everyone's bio sheet.
Not really casual, I think Art would answer that question to anyone who asks. The band is really good about talking with fans and signing autographes. I just thought to ask Art about this since I knew it would bring some real insight to the subject.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:36 pm

amazing how Art knew Ashton and Plight would be banned from H&H some 16 years ago!
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art