4 Stars

Everclear
"Welcome to the drama club"
(Eleven Seven,2006)

Producer: Art Alexakis
Style: Power pop
Format: Album
Reviewed by: Kaj Roth

Art Alexakis makes music with a thought, he writes lyrics with a meaning behind them more than just entertaining you and me and should be just as big as Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty.
Sure, his band Everclear has sold platinum and was awarded the Modern rock artist of the year in 1998 by Billboard but he just hasn't been recognized the same way as the Boss which I think he deserve.
The new record "Welcome to the drama club" marks the band's return to the indie label world with Eleven Seven Music, after having released their debut "World of noise" on the Tim/Kerr label - followed by 5 albums on Capitol records including the Best of Everclear 1994-2004 collection.

A hits album that featured classic hits like "Heroin girl", "Volvo driving soccer mom", "Santa Monica" and "Everything to everyone" - but this 21 track album also included the 2 previously unreleased tracks "Sex with a movie star" and "The new disease" plus a cover of Thin Lizzy's "Boys are back in town" as well as the soundtrack contribution "Local god" from the Romeo and Juliet movie.
Art did an excellent job on producing the rock circus FLIPP's classic "Volume" from 2002 and put his trademark on many of the band's songs.

That's exactly where we have Alexakis in the year of 2006, he continues to deliver excellent postrock/powerpop songs that works their way into the heart like a steel drill.
Just take the warm Tom Petty sounding "Now" that will embrace the listener from the very first second, he shows what an intelligent songwriter he is with a rootsy rock anthem like "Glorious".
Some people write love songs, some people write happy songs but Art has written the ultimate break up song with "Hater".
This song didn't impress at first but after 3-4 spins in the stereo, I got to love it like my favorite pet.
This Art knows the art of making meaningful music!
Stupid college boy, act like you think you're tough

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:52 pm

i liked the article, but at times it appeared like adulation :?

however it's nice to know some people write good things about everclear.

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!