welcome to the drama club on iTunes for $9.90

Anything and everything Everclear.

evermatt

welcome to the drama club on iTunes for $9.90

Post by evermatt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:00 pm

didn't know if anyone was aware of this yet, but WTTDC is on iTunes for this price which is probably cheaper than stores. Also, the site I usually use because it's cheaper, www.gomusic.ru formerly www.mp3search.ru has it for $1.62. I'll probably download it then ask for it this weekend, it's parents weekend at school so....you all know how that goes.

twistinside

Post by twistinside » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:23 pm

How come that website has it for so cheap? You think that Everclear gets the profit?
-Matt
Another Christian that listens to Everclear, religiously.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I could play this guitar in tune.

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:38 pm

twistinside wrote:How come that website has it for so cheap? You think that Everclear gets the profit?
A- because its mega-illegal
B- No.

Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:40 pm

yeah i rember reading or hearing somewhere that if you want the artist to really profit, itunes and others like htat arent really that good for artists. buying the album is the best way to support the band or artist.
Spongebob is not a contraceptive -(Simpsons)

Flowers the painted whores of the plant world - Homer Simpson

bob4775

Post by bob4775 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:16 pm

Yeah I think thats why we all buy Everclear (and other artists) actual music instead of using shareware.
I Will Be Sittin' On Top When It All Goes Wrong Again.
---------------------------------------------------------------

evermatt

Post by evermatt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:52 pm

the site's not illegal and artists do get a share of the profit, read their FAQ.

Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:11 pm

but they get less of a profit then if you were to buy the actual album. at least thats what i heard. even if it is legal
Spongebob is not a contraceptive -(Simpsons)

Flowers the painted whores of the plant world - Homer Simpson

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:24 pm

evermatt wrote:the site's not illegal and artists do get a share of the profit, read their FAQ.
I don't care what they say and I'm not going to read their FAQ. Their claim of not being illegal is based on a dubious and untested legal argument.

Essentially, they claim they have the right to distribute material because they have licenses with performing rights organizations, essentially the Russian versions of BMI and ASCAP in the US.

In America, what they are doing would NOT be legal whatsoever. Performance licenses don't cover distribution - they only cover performances. Radio stations in the US pay a royalty every time they play a song - they DO NOT have the right to offer downloads of songs through that license. In most of the world, you would have to obtain a license from the artist's label to offer distribution.

These Russian companies are claiming that Russian law allows them to simply pay the performance royalty (as if they were a radio station). It's a completely questionable argument, one that's borderline ludicrous, and one that will probably be rectified in the near future. Plus, even if they're paying the royalty, those royalties are VERY small (much smaller even than the pittance that most artists make on iTunes). Even at $1.62 (or whatever) the company is earning a SIGNIFICANT majority of the profit for the music they sell. This is especially true for bands like Everclear, who, as an indie label artist, stand to make a far higher percentage of their iTunes sales.

I don't care what the justification is - you should be well aware that if you're buying MP3s from sites like that, you're simply putting money in the pockets of Russian businessmen. Your conscience should be bugging the hell out of you, since it's patently obvious that the artist is not going to see any amount of what you're paying. And the argument that "the industry is already fucking the artist over" doesn't work.

Either buy the songs from a legitimate downloading service, buy the CD, or just download the thing from a P2P service. You're not doing yourself any favors by handing your money to Russians.

Stick Man

Post by Stick Man » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:25 pm

I always buy a hardcopy of a CD because I don't trust my computer, or the majority of technology for that matter.
In the game of chess you can never let an adversary see your pieces.

evermatt

Post by evermatt » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:05 am

well as soon as my money runs out on my account with that site, I'll stop using it. I'm still buying a hard copy so I can listen in my car.