Hall of Fame

Anything and everything Everclear.

evermatt

Post by evermatt » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:50 pm

Femaldihide, I assume you're joking, but from now on just don't answer any of my questions unless you seriously know, and state, the answer. You're not funny....at all.

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:28 pm

Chris B wrote:Everclear? I really don't think so. They didn't really do anything groundbreaking, were never really a critic's band, and were never really hugely successful. They're kind of in a pool of bands like The Cranberries, Blind Melon, Collective Soul, etc, that were popular but never hugely so and didn't do anything in particular that made them stand out.
i think at least The Cranberries are hell more famous and popular than everclear.

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!

Femaldihide

Post by Femaldihide » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:11 pm

evermatt wrote:Femaldihide, I assume you're joking, but from now on just don't answer any of my questions unless you seriously know, and state, the answer. You're not funny....at all.
I wasn't joking, I'm pretty convinced that you touching yourself directly relates to a rap group getting in the hall of fame.

evermatt

Post by evermatt » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:52 pm

oh, well in that case, you're just an idiot.

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:18 pm

All good threads eventually reach the topic of Matty touching himself.
Oh, those sloppy tarts have sulphurized hearts.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:51 pm

Matt, just because you don't like the music doesn't take away the impact that an artist made on rock & roll. Take a look at a lot of the acts who are actually in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and you'll see there are a lot of artist who aren't known for playing rock music, but are in the Hall of Fame on their contributions to music and the influence they had in the rock's evolution.

However if you don't think that rap was influenced by rock & roll, or better yet that rap hasn't influenced rock itself, you are mistaken.

Here are just a few members of the rock & roll hall of fame, whose most well known music is not rock based:
B. B. King
Muddy Waters
Buddy Guy
Miles Davis
James Brown
Marvin Gaye
Smokey Robinson
The Supremes
Joni Mitchell
Parliament Funkadelic
Isaac Hayes

There are a fair amount of doo-wop, pop, soul, folk, funk and jazz artists in the hall of fame, it should be apparent why the first hip hop artist was inducted.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

LoserFreak
Board Man Whore

Post by LoserFreak » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:30 am

Helping prove once again that while black people are much better at it, cracker-ass bastards market it far better.
I <3 B.B. King.

sdilley14

Post by sdilley14 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:07 am

I'd really like to think of Everclear being in the same class as Foo Fighters, STP, and Soundgarden, rather than the Cranberries, Blind Melon, and Collective Soul. I gotta think they were a little more popular than that second group of lame bands.
everybody everywhere wishes they could tell, everybody everywhere to go to hell . . .

Everclear15

Post by Everclear15 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:58 am

I'd really like to think of Everclear being in the same class as Foo Fighters, STP, and Soundgarden, rather than the Cranberries, Blind Melon, and Collective Soul. I gotta think they were a little more popular than that second group of lame bands.

i agree because you just cant pt everclear next to blind melon. Ive never even heard of collective soul, and the cranberries are defiantly not some half rate band they were great.

I think the biggest reason would be lack of "hall of fame" promotion. If capitol has to put money on the table then it probably wont be happening. If its a list of 90's bands and all of them are given fair game on a website or on tv pre-voting then maybe they will get in who knows.
Everclear is the s***

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:34 am

Are there any actual qualifications that need to be met to get into the hall? I've heard it has to be at least 25 years from the artist's first album to be considered. Is there anything else?
Stupid college boy, act like you think you're tough

evermatt

Post by evermatt » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:19 pm

You've never heard of Collective Soul? I have to agree that Everclear is in the same group as The Cranberries, Blind Melon, etc.

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:20 pm

cien_bolas wrote:i think at least The Cranberries are hell more famous and popular than everclear.
And you'd be right. I actually didn't realize how many records they sold, because they never seemed to be huge to me. Worldwide, they certainly seemed to do well (and better than Everclear). But I had no idea that the Cranberries have sold more than fifteen million albums in the US. Literally, that's almost three times as many records as Everclear has sold in the US. Crazy.

Collective Soul has sold somewhere over ten million in the US. Blind Melon is right on par with Everclear's sales, though that's largely due to the success of Blind Melon's debut. (In fairness, they only released two albums during Shannon Hoon's lifetime.)

By that account, Everclear is arguably fourth on that list of "second-tier" bands.

But where Collective Soul and Soundgarden have sold comparable numbers of records, I give Soundgarden a significant edge at getting into the Hall because of their unique sound and its influence. Collective Soul is a pop-rock band that makes pop-rock songs. Everclear is far more like Collective Soul in that regard.
Roxy wrote:Are there any actual qualifications that need to be met to get into the hall? I've heard it has to be at least 25 years from the artist's first album to be considered. Is there anything else?
Basically, that's it. After twenty-five years, a band becomes eligible. From there, the list of eligible bands is whittled down to a small number of finalists by the Hall's nomination committee. Ballots are sent out to about a thousand "rock experts" (whatever that means) who make the votes. Bands have to receive at least fifty percent of the vote that year to be inducted.

The process is kinda bizarre, and still seems heavily weighted towards sixties acts. I can't figure out how the Ronettes got inducted, for example. They only had five "hits" (and only one "big" one). Most of their success came from the sheer genius of Phil Spector's production, not from anything they did (though Ronnie did have a great voice). You kinda get the feeling that the older "experts" are voting for the names they recognize.

At the same time, there's a good bit of controversy around the nominating committee. The members are pretty much selected by the chairman of the Hall, now Jann Wenner (of Rolling Stone). Given that there aren't any concrete prerequisites, it's pretty much all left to him and the people he selects to make the nominations.

Eager To Please

Post by Eager To Please » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:26 am

I agree with chris 100%.

I would group Everclear with Collective Soul any day. really, i think they are on the same level, and somewhat the same fanbase.

And while SoundGarden might not have very impressive record sales, i would put them in the HOF in a heartbeat. increadibly influential, and my god: It's Chris Cornell at his absolute finest.
H&H Fantasy Football : 0-2

www.myspace.com/cochisechilipepper

tex winter

Post by tex winter » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:54 am

Chris B wrote: Honestly, getting in is mostly about having people in the right places like you. It seems like the voters aren't prog-rock fans, hence the exclusion of Rush, Yes, Genesis, etc. I think they hate bands like Kiss, too, given their over-emphasis on merchandising.
I agree. There are several 70's bands that I think deserve to be in besides those that you listed, including Steve Miller Band, Boston, and Heart.

It is kind of like the 80's bands. Van Halen, U2, REM, The Pretenders, and Prince are all in. I think Motley Crue are in no problem along with Metalica and Motorhead, but who else from that era? Ratt and Poison maybe; no to Warrant, White Lion, and Autograph. And what do I know, maybe the Go Gos will make it in.
Chris B wrote: As far as 90s bands go, Nirvana is a lock. So are Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. Other likelies: Dave Matthews, Green Day, Alanis Morissette, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, Jeff Buckley.
Yes to Nirvana, yes to Pearl Jam, no dice for Alice in Chains. Dave Matthews because he has been so popular and Green Day for bringing punk back, no to Alanis; she had just one good album. And Rage, Radiohead, and jeff Buckley, no chance. People say Jeff was influential, but I could not name one song by him. Kind of like Tori Amos for me.

Foo Fighters maybe, it likely depends on the next five years for Dave Grohl.

Here is a list of currently inducted bands:

http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/inductee-list/

HydrogenElf

Post by HydrogenElf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:05 am

I can't stand Radiohead, but anybody who thinks they're not a sure-thing to get in is nuts.
Oh, those sloppy tarts have sulphurized hearts.