The Vegas Years

Anything and everything Everclear.

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 am

I'm kinda with SH on this one. Art has talked about putting an cover album together for quite a while. Of course, back then, we would expect more new covers and probably a few of the favorites.

BUT here we are - 2008, and Everclear, now not as famous as they used to be and not who they used to be now that there is a new lineup and all, is not really putting together a new album at this time. If they felt that it was time to put an album out, I would assume going with a cover album would have been Art's escape goat from the pressure until there is enough time to produce a new Everclear album, get it promoted, and sell it on the market.

And what covers do we have? Mostly old ones that many of us are familiar with with a few new ones. Hell, I got probably almost all the old covers on my computer! Why would I want the album? Because the cover art is interesting?

It is okay to be excited about this; there is *some* activity going on, and I don't blame any of you. But I don't know if a cover album is the way to go right now. :?
~Elizabeth

"The goal of the emerging scholar is to write books, sell millions, and change the paradigms of the world." ~ Dr. C.D. Oliver on the first day of RELST 251 Fall 2007

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:45 pm

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth wrote:Art's escape goat
Art has an escaping goat!?!

I think you are looking for the word "scapegoat".

You know I'm not normally the grammar police, but this just amused me when I saw it this morning and I had to make an image to go along with it.

EDITIt looks like I'm not the first to jump on the "escape goat"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD5ZXuL0HyE
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm

ndfan1993 wrote:Everclear parting ways with Capitol was the worst thing they could have done.
Art forcing VDSM to be single against Capitol's will, was the worst thing he could have done.

And i'm upset too, but maybe not as SH. I have followed Everclear since the last eight or seven years, and i also believe this is a low point in Art's career, but i hope this comes out well for the band and hopefully if it gets enough promotion maybe Capitol could sign Everclear again.

I know this seems miraculous, but well, at least i never thought i could see an Everclear album with the Capitol seal on it again.

Good luck for this album.

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:58 pm

stupid happy wrote:i know it's just me, and my opinion doesn't really amount to a hill of beans...but i can't understand what's so exciting about an album cover and songs that EC didn't even write. it's like getting all tingly for Zamfir to cover "Scooby Dooby Do" or hearing Wayne Newton sing "Smoke on the Water."

i've loved and supported EC for over a decade now, and this is what i'm left with???? really?!

if *this* is what it takes to get y'all jazzed, so be it. i sincerely hope this is what y'all have been hoping and praying for. truly. but frankly, i'm more than a little disappointed. and for the record, i think the album cover is just so-so, teetering on boring and uninventive. having art dress up in fat elvis/vegas jumpsuit drag and long sideburns would've been far more entertaining.

i love art. i really do. but i'll be damned if this doesn't feel like an incredible low point for a band that i once admired.

and so, it begins. let the flames commence!

Thank god someone else feels exactly the way I do here. Why would anyone be excited for an album of covers?

It feels like we have hit the bottom, and the bottom has hit its bottom too.

:arrow: Sweet cover though.

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:41 pm

ekeown wrote:
TheGoodWitchoftheNorth wrote:Art's escape goat
Art has an escaping goat!?!

oh my GOD! i laughed SO hard at this! eric, you *always* get my goat, if you know what i mean! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:47 pm

This isn't the most exciting of releases. But at the stage Everclear are at, we should just be happy they are making releases. They released drama club on an independant label and the label dropped the ball (or according to art they did) so Art is reluctant to sign with another indie.

I can't see any negative effects coming from this. In a best case scenario, Capitol resigns Everclear, promotes this record and a subsequent tour and funds another album. Worst case scenario, Capitol releases this with no promotion, doesn't resign Everclear, and I get two new songs I havn't heard from one of my favorite bands.
But I don't know if a cover album is the way to go right now.
I think when you get to the stage Everclear is at, anything that brings in money or gets you promotion is the right way to go.
When you find that things are getting wild
then don't you want days like these?

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:29 am

well, let's use that logic, then. obtaining a spot on "Dancing with the Stars" can be financially beneficial, but it doesn't make becoming a celebrity contestant necessarily a good career move. so, let's say Art finds himself named to next season's cast of "Dancing...." -- should we be all excited about seeing Art being involved in such a vehicle? we haven't seen a couple of his dance moves, after all.

obviously (and thankfully), art hasn't sunk to the "Dancing with the Stars" ex-celebrity level just yet. nonetheless, this album of dumb covers feels like pandering, it's pitiful and it sure feels disappointing that this is what we're left with. granted, this is Capitol making the release, and for all i know, Art & Co. might not have anything to do with the covers CD...and given the total chaos that record labels find themselves in these days, it's easy to see how they would use such a ploy to scare up whatever revenues they can.

STILL. there are bands that have been around a LOT longer than Everclear that are still tapping into their creativity and being vital, in terms of creating excitement and buzz with new material. Everclear is not one of those bands anymore. but whatever -- releasing a whimsical goofball of a CD might be fun for some, and so be it. it is what it is...but what it is ain't worth spending a dime on, from my perspective.

okay, all that said...how many of you would become weekly viewers if art did, in fact, become a contestant on "Dancing with the Stars?" ;)

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:56 pm

i don't have tv at this house but i would find a way

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:11 pm

it'd be fun if we could see Art dance with, say, Heather Mills McCartney. or maybe laila ali. (she could snap him in two like a toothpick!) :lol:

LoserFreak
Board Man Whore

Post by LoserFreak » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:16 pm

They should cover this last minute, just to make it onto the album:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_gVaqF4PJ0U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_gVaqF4PJ0U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:54 am

Art... DWTS... *cringes*

Bad image right before I am going to bed. Thank you, SH.
~Elizabeth

"The goal of the emerging scholar is to write books, sell millions, and change the paradigms of the world." ~ Dr. C.D. Oliver on the first day of RELST 251 Fall 2007

Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:32 am

theres a link to how it looks on amazon, cover and track list are on there
Spongebob is not a contraceptive -(Simpsons)

Flowers the painted whores of the plant world - Homer Simpson

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:52 pm

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth wrote:Art... DWTS... *cringes*

Bad image right before I am going to bed. Thank you, SH.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:50 pm

uh.
I'm not convinced that dancing with the stars and releasing a covers album on a major label have any connection.
Its nothing new for a band to release an album of covers, take David Bowie's album "Pin Ups", Renegades by Rage Against the Machine, Tori Amos' album Strange Little Girls and almost every album ever released by the blues brothers. I don't think its a career ending move, and in some cases is a career boosting move becuase fans from the covered bands may buy the album just for one song, or if people like a handful of songs they may buy the album regardless of who is covering them.

I understand that the dancing with the stars comment arose from me saying that getting money and coverage is important. I don't want to defend dancing with the stars, however let's take Joey Fatone as an example.

Ex NSYNC singer, fat, reduced to doing broadway muscials.
Comes second on DWTS.
Name is made popular again, has been hired to present some singing show, but bottom line is he is popular again and in media spotlight.
Probably working on a solo album that will sell better than WTTDC and TVY combined.

I've never cared about what people think about Everclear. I just care that they release new music. If you're a fan of everclear becuase its cool to be, then you've not been paying attention for the last 11 years.

Money = new releases. More power to you Art, do what you have to.
When you find that things are getting wild
then don't you want days like these?

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:03 am

as poorly as CDs of original music have sold since the start of this century, i am positive that if there is any money to be made on a CD of songs art *didn't* write, it ain't gonna be much. what a covers CD is most likely to get art is fewer fans. you can bank on people getting up and leaving because they've grown tired of Everclear and have moved on to bands that have more to offer.

maybe art *should* go on Dancing of the Stars, in order to breathe some life into his dwindling, dying career.

meanwhile, i was on my way to lunch to meet a friend today, and RATM's cover of a Springsteen song, "The Ghost of Tom Joad" came on my XM radio, and i'd never heard Rage's version before...i was FLOORED -- it was totally smokin' and, frankly, much better than the original (and nobody's been a Springsteen fan on these boards longer than me, or has heard more covers of his stuff than i have). anyway, do you know what made it was so good? they took a song and TOTALLY put their own sound, style and spin on it. the only thing that remained was the lyrics -- i literally couldn't believe how different -- and how much better -- the song was. it was the first time i've enjoyed a cover more than the original, honest to god.

Speaking of Springsteen, he released a CD last year of Seeger covers, and i couldn't have been more bored. it was my least-favorite effort from him. i read somewhere that his Seeger CD was the smallest seller of his career (in the U.S., anyway -- oddly, the release had decent sales in europe, particularly Ireland).

given the covers I have already heard EC play, i can guarantee that they aren't going to be inventive or interesting in the slightest. they're just going to sound like the original, instead of becoming something interesting and/or exciting. if i thought for a second that they covers would prove that Art is capable of branching out and trying something new, i would be interested. but hearing "The Boys are Back In Town" or "Speed Racer" again....well, why would i bother? if i wanted to hear boring remakes, i'd walk into my kids' rooms and ask them to sing their favorite Miley Cyrus songs to me. snore.