Blackjack Radio 1/4/2004

Anything and everything Everclear.

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:36 pm

stickyinsidePDX wrote:well personally I feel really isolated at my school for likeing Everclear, theres only like two or three other people that like them that I know of. I hate wearing my tour shirt because I get more disses then good comments. my good friends of Winfield (you might of heard them they perform at the meow meow once in a while) all hate him because of the performace on Conan O'Brian...they said he did a really bad representation of Portland in their lack of musicability. I think thats a really bad reason to hate them. but yeah I dont really know that many people that like them..I think they've matured into the resent indie-rock or the scremo..theres no middle to put Everclear in...Portland is in a music revolution and Everclear is a petrified rock. I think theres only hardcore fans left.
excellent way to put it.i know exactly who you feel.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:44 pm

stupid happy wrote:that's interesting -- portland being in a musical flux, that is. i can see how something like that would tend to oust the "old school" music-makers by the people who follow the up-and-coming bands. interesting, too, is this whole alexakis/krebs siding. thanks, you guys, for explaining a bit of the situations as they exist and existed.

what do you guys think art will do, post-everclear and solo music-making? do you think he'll get involved in local politics there? i could see him going for mayor -- municipal government is a lot more reasonable a challenge for him than, say, congress...and i've heard him muse about how politics does interest him...think he's electable, or do you think he would be laughed off?

(one of my best friends' dad was just elected mayor of eugene, ore., by the way! mayor foutch -- or perhaps he hasn't been sworn in yet...but anyway....)
i don't know. art is very liberal, and a large % of us oregonians are libs out here (and way too many are hippies/earthy people), so he would win over the metro area, but outside that it's republicans, with their blonde, bland, middle class republican lives. i think he would lose if he did, but not by much. plus, i think he'd need to brush up on his politics and how things are run before taking up that task. he should do something slightly smaller like be a commissioner or something, so he can get a little credibility, and a small resume going, then go for the big one.

as for his music, who knows. i'm pretty sure a greatest hits is in store for next year/this year, and his solo should be out soon.

if you want to learn more about krebs, go here for the article featuring him (towards the middle of the article):
http://www.whitelightning.org/thepress/sp9608.htm
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

plight

Post by plight » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:57 pm

stickyinsidePDX wrote:well personally I feel really isolated at my school for likeing Everclear, theres only like two or three other people that like them that I know of. I hate wearing my tour shirt because I get more disses then good comments. my good friends of Winfield (you might of heard them they perform at the meow meow once in a while) all hate him because of the performace on Conan O'Brian...they said he did a really bad representation of Portland in their lack of musicability. I think thats a really bad reason to hate them. but yeah I dont really know that many people that like them..I think they've matured into the resent indie-rock or the scremo..theres no middle to put Everclear in...Portland is in a music revolution and Everclear is a petrified rock. I think theres only hardcore fans left.
There's only hardcore fans left, because the band has managed to alienated their core college fan base that supported them when S&F came out. Sure, the band has evolved with their sound, but it's a sound that mainly appeals to a younger age demographic. They've lost whatever 'artistic' & 'indie' cred that had by releasing albums like 'LHTS' ,'GTFABA' & 'SMD'.
Ironically, 'SMFTA' was aimed towards the College Rock market when it came out. I heard it all the time on the SPY when it first came out, but when it didn't find an audience on college rock, Art [rightfully] shifted it towards mainstream. Not that it's a bad thing, but you can tell older hardcore fans are getting into more college bands like New pr0n, Prefuse 73 among others while the teeny bopper set still likes the malaise emo stuff that's floating about.

Another thing is, the Portland scene from what I've read on it, currently sucks. The Exploding Hearts were kind of good [The one Vaughan mentioned was good, but I can't find where he said it], and there are one or two other bands like the Dandy Warhols [who also released an underwhelming record this year], but the rest is pure shit.
Factor in Art's mouth kind of gets him into trouble and fueding with other bands & acts in the area and you can kind of see why they're not doing well for many multiple reasons.
*holds an envelope to his head*
I am thinking of a number between 1 and 10.
*opens an envelope*
What is the amount of CDs Tri-Polar will actually sell and not give away as freebies.

mesham

Post by mesham » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:52 pm

stupid happy wrote:as for why she didn't go out on the road: i think stephanie is at university somewhere in the portland area, which might be why she didn't go on tour w/him. i know she was with him for a bit of time while EC was out and about...but not on the solo thing.
She was out at W&J in April and they seemed happy... eh, but what do I know, I was too busy flailing away on stage doing a little thing I like to call "dancing" but most people call, well... flailing.

Anyway, let's see. One half of a couple at the university and the other half of the couple a 40 year old rock star out on tour. I'm certainly no expert on happy marriages having one failed one behind me, but this sounds like a pretty big hurdle to work through. I'd say worse than the old Youngstown-Unemployment hurdle. I do hope they give it a fair shot, of course, but... "it's gonna take a lotta love...."

God what an awful song to have in your head when you're thinking of Everclear. Glad I could share it with you all (at least the ones old enough to know it!)....
"You think you pity me, hey I'll kick your ass if you pity me..."

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:23 pm

[]
Last edited by BigMike on Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stickyinsidePDX

Post by stickyinsidePDX » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:52 pm

now..i never said the revolution in portland is good..its just changing it to something loud and screamy that you can pretend you like..or the indie-which some is good- which makes you mellow out and makes you think. But good thing we're close to seattle..cuz their bands tour down here which is awesome.

plight

Post by plight » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:05 am

stickyinsidePDX wrote:..its just changing it to something loud and screamy that you can pretend you like..or the indie-which some is good- which makes you mellow out and makes you think. .
Because that's what sells records and what is currently popular?

Getting back on topic, I think it's great that Art is driven to succeed in the music business and will do anything to promote himself.

However, I will say I don't think Art knows what his target audience wants. I think a more-stripped down sounding Everclear would be great since that's currently all the rage, but Art disagrees.
Sometimes you got to change with the times and if you don't, you're left in the dust.
*holds an envelope to his head*
I am thinking of a number between 1 and 10.
*opens an envelope*
What is the amount of CDs Tri-Polar will actually sell and not give away as freebies.

Everman

Post by Everman » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:05 am

plight wrote:

Getting back on topic, I think it's great that Art is driven to succeed in the music business and will do anything to promote himself.

However, I will say I don't think Art knows what his target audience wants. I think a more-stripped down sounding Everclear would be great since that's currently all the rage, but Art disagrees.
Sometimes you got to change with the times and if you don't, you're left in the dust.
Changing your style of music just to go along with the times and what everyone is doing is the total definition of a sellout in my book. Sellout isn't a word I like because it's grotesquely overused and flaunted. Bands who move on and move forward on their own accord are all too often mislabeled with the term. Bands who don't give a shit what anyone (i.e. The big bad record label, the fans, the status quo...) thinks, who turn the mainstream radio off, write the songs they want to write, and evolve on their own terms are what matters to me. That's how music and genres change. But when the mainstream catches on, it fucks everything up (example: emo). Then the cycle repeats itself.

Everclear moved forward (backward to many) because they want to. They could have adapted and became another Linkin Park, POD, Dashboard Confessional, or whatever is popular now. Art knows what the majority of fans want, and I for one can't blame him for not wanting to belt out four more renditions of Sparkle and Fade. If you change with the times just to be part of the mainstream, make the record everyone wants to hear, and do it for the money, you're a sellout. If you can constantly change, make records that you like, and enjoy what you do then more power to you. If that leaves you in the dust, who cares. Nobody knows what Art wants but Art. I think he could very easily make many more hit records with or without Everclear. But if he doesn't enjoy doing it, why bother?

That the end of my ramblings. :)

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:28 am

i think art's out of material that is 'alternative', or 'hard rock', and yet he pushed it into vol2, which i think was a mistake (that's my opinion). i think after smfta he decided to move into a whole new genre, and i think he did this by his own decision AND subcontiously. i think he still wants to make hard rock material, but i don't think he's just capable of it anymore. its like trying to laugh at an old joke, you're just going to be faking it, and he doesn't wanna do it.

becca0nh

Post by becca0nh » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:35 am

I think that the problem with a lot of older bands is that their first few albums consisted of songs about their teen angst and diffucalties growing up. EC is one of those bands that's just out of angsty material. I can only imagine how hard it is to be rich and famous and still be expected to write tunes about how much the man gets them down. A lot of songs on the last 3 records were just forced, fake angst. I didn't buy into it.

As big of a fan as I still am, I completly understand why a lot of people have given up on the band. I'm just glad that the last bunch of shows they did were amazing.

the one and only j

Post by the one and only j » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:46 pm

Yeah Art should hire an artistically-fueled DJ and a guitarist who wears fake headphones... :lol:
lalala I killed you

everelizabeth

Post by everelizabeth » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:51 pm

I agree w/what someone else here said. The music doesn't necessarily have to be "popular"-if Art likes what he writes then there has got to be a huge amount of satisfaction that comes with that. His bank acct. is probably big enough that he doesn't really care if the record goes to #1-obviously yes it's still nice to know that people like what you are writing/composing.

As far as changing the sound to go w/the flow. Linkin Park's second album sounds just like their 1st to me. (Yeah, I do like them but still.) Who wants to make the same record over & over again. Besides that who wants to be a 41 yr old man on stage screaming. I bet Chester Bennington will not still be doing the same thing when he is Art's age.
Beshie

When I think about you now it makes me think of summertime....we were laughing in the sunshine

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:36 pm

everelizabeth wrote:IWho wants to make the same record over & over again. Besides that who wants to be a 41 yr old man on stage screaming. I bet Chester Bennington will not still be doing the same thing when he is Art's age.
look at cheap trick.

tex winter

Post by tex winter » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:11 pm

Look at:
The Rolling Stones
Moody Blues
RL Burnside
Van Halen
Deep Purple
:lol:

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:44 pm

let's talk about pete krebs.