kmk182

3/27/09 - Art Solo @ Hard Rock Baltimore

Post by kmk182 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 am

Song from an American Movie, Part 1
Art talks about relationships & drama
The Drama King
Learning How to Smile
Brown Eyed Girl
Art talks about his ex-wife Jenny (Anna's mom) and talks about the time he was arrested for domestic abuse. Also discusses how they used to drive up to the "West Hills" of Portland and look at the rich peoples house when they were broke. And a few years later were able to buy a house there.
I Will Buy You a New Life
Art talks about his mom and how she was crazy. He tells a story about a girlfriend Art had who his mother threatened with a shotgun. Art says he grew up in the projects so he loved black women, but his mother didn't want him to date them. That's why he wrote a song to piss her off
Heartspark Dollarsign
Art starts to talk about how awful his dad was but says the song speaks for itself
Father of Mine
Everything to Everyone
Wonderful
Art tells about how she started using drugs in the 5th grade. Tells the story of Sparky(?) the icecream truck driver/drug dealer. Shows photos from 5th grade where he smoked pot before class pictures. Shows a 6th grade photo where he was on PCP. Also tells about how he was molested as a kid and how that lead him to make a lot of bad decisions in his life.
Strawberry
Santa Monica
Art asked for a request. Someone shouted SMFTA. He said that would sound bad acoustic. After he played part of it he said it actually did sound cool.
So Much for the Afterglow (first verse/chorus fan request)
Portland Rain

Art did a little Q&A after the set. He said he the Colorfinger stuff is finished, with songs never heard before and is ready to be printed and will definantly be out this year. Also said Everclear is doing a new album next month and will be touring all summer long. Said he is a Christian, but not born again. Said he doesn't believe a lot of what is taught in Sunday school but knows there is a God out there.

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks man for the post.....how did the show sound?

becca0nh

Post by becca0nh » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 am

It actually sounded pretty rough. Art's voice was really hurting, must be all the talking and not just singing.
The whole show was kind of awkward. He isn't the best prompter reader and the audience was kind of shitty. Who gets the chance to make a request and requests Santa Monica??
The Q&A portion was horrid, people asked him to play another song, then asked him to autograph something.
So, it was weird, but still good. Looking forward to the summer tour :)

Raptorbite

Post by Raptorbite » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Well, Thats the beauty of it... Raw Gritty, and uncensored...

I think I may just fly out and see one of his shows next week...
Man..... I really need na better Sig.

kmk182

Post by kmk182 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:31 pm

It was hit or miss, depending on your mood. The venue wasn't the best first off. They had like 10 chairs in front of the stage which were for VIP. This show didn't sell any VIP tickets, and this just resulted in a bunch of old guys in suits sitting in front of the stage; I guess they knew the right people. So the rest of the fans had to stand by the bar; which basically led to people who weren't there for Art to fight you to get to the bar.

A lot of background noise and you could tell Art couldn't hear himself at times. I've never seen an acoustic show before so I'm glad I saw it, but I certainly would have preferred if he played a little dive place where people were just there for the show and Art could branch out beyond the hits a little. At one point Art was telling his drug stories and there was one guy cheering, obviously missing the point. The weather was great leading up to the show (the first nice day in a while) and it was a Friday night, so I think a lot of people were just in the Harbor area and ended up there without showing up just for Art, esp after it started raining and people seemed to stream in from the waterfront.

I also forgot to mention someone asked Art if there are any songs he doesn't like that he wrote and he said he doesn't really have a cringe factor but "World of Noise," which was interupted but a few fans cheering WON. He said "I guess you guys like the albums when I was fresh off drugs." He didn't finish what he was going to say, but I assume he doesn't like WON anymore.

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Well, i hope this time Art isn't lying and he really delivers his Colorfinger version. That would be a definitely need in my album collection.

I hope Art becomes lighted and remembers some of his southern fans... and he might tour to Texas soon =(

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!