Goodbye

Anything and everything Everclear.

EverclearGTFABA

Goodbye

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:04 pm

On Monday I had the good fortune to fall into some free tickets to go see Everclear in NYC.

I haven't been around the boards much lately, only checking every so often. I can't get into the direction the band is going in, and you could say I jumped ship.

With that being said, I was still excited to see Everclear. I skipped my last class and went with a few people, nice and drunk, to the Highline Ballroom. There were plenty of people there, far more than I ever expected. (This is undoubtedly due to the fact that almost everyone there received free tickets during the course of that day. Someone was handing them out in Union Square all afternoon.)

Art comes out on stage with a completely new band- no surprise. From the onset, you could sense the discordance between the members. They weren't playing together, just at the same time. At times it was unbearable, but even this wasn't the worst aspect of the show.

Art stood still at the microphone, with dark circles around his eyes and a deflated sense of energy. Throughout the show he seemed uninterested and bored- completely going through the motions. He didn't try to hit any of the notes, didn't care when he fell flat. It almost seemed like spoken-word versions of the songs. (Admittely I have not listened to their new record, perhaps this is the "light" they were referring to.)

I saw my childhood hero thrive and die in one, weak motion.

I have to admit this may be the last straw for me. No more shows. No more albums.

Anyone else done?

SmashingClear

Re: Goodbye

Post by SmashingClear » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm never done.

SlowMotionTimmah

Post by SlowMotionTimmah » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Maybe the bags under his eyes are from him working so hard at getting a new release to you and touring?

Maybe the new members were added because the old ones left and this is the way there can still be an everclear?

Maybe they don't sound tight yet because they just started playing together a couple months ago?

Maybe Art isn't hitting all the same notes because he is older then he was when they were released and his voice has changed?

For fucks sake kid. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out lol.
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis

kmk182

Post by kmk182 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:46 pm

I always give Art the benefit of the doubt. I've been to those old-Art shows where we would get into arguments with fan or kick people out. I stuck with him through that, even they were some rough experiences. Now, its easy to see if Art is going through the motions. Sadly, 90% of the people there want to hear a couple of songs. So he really has to play to the crowd. Even with the new versions, its the same old song and dance.

You gotta realize Art is a perfectionist. So he probably is as upset with the band not being tight as you are. Even last year I was at shows where he would tell people to pick it up or make the band start songs over. So with a brand new batch of guys not knowing everything is wearing on him. Theyll get better. The first time I saw Everclear 2.0 they weren't great, but by the end I thought pound for pound they were putting on a better show than the original lineup.

Also, Art has a wife and daughters he's away from. He really doesn't know his band yet. Did you happen to talk to him after the show? Freddy's blog says he was signing for 2 hours after one of this weeks shows. Thats really where you can see how Art has changed. He knows the hardcore fans and gives them the time of day. 10 years ago this wouldn't have been the same.

But I can see why you would jump ship. For some its better to see their hero in their prime. Hes not going to be huge again. Maybe a nostalgia wave hits and he plays bigger shows. But hes not going to write an album as raw as Sparkle and Fade. Hes different. So at least you got the old stuff to enjoy. I'll be here for a long time still though.

JuanCarlosVejar

Post by JuanCarlosVejar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:31 pm

EverclearGTFABA wrote:On Monday I had the good fortune to fall into some free tickets to go see Everclear in NYC.

I haven't been around the boards much lately, only checking every so often. I can't get into the direction the band is going in, and you could say I jumped ship.

With that being said, I was still excited to see Everclear. I skipped my last class and went with a few people, nice and drunk, to the Highline Ballroom. There were plenty of people there, far more than I ever expected. (This is undoubtedly due to the fact that almost everyone there received free tickets during the course of that day. Someone was handing them out in Union Square all afternoon.)

Art comes out on stage with a completely new band- no surprise. From the onset, you could sense the discordance between the members. They weren't playing together, just at the same time. At times it was unbearable, but even this wasn't the worst aspect of the show.

Art stood still at the microphone, with dark circles around his eyes and a deflated sense of energy. Throughout the show he seemed uninterested and bored- completely going through the motions. He didn't try to hit any of the notes, didn't care when he fell flat. It almost seemed like spoken-word versions of the songs. (Admittely I have not listened to their new record, perhaps this is the "light" they were referring to.)

I have to admit this may be the last straw for me. No more shows. No more albums.

Anyone else done?
well art is older now !!!
plus you have to admit that drugs probably took alot of energy from him
and that the energy that was left he used it all the time in the 90's .
so i think art deserves a break now , he deserves to be carried on the soulders of his fans
as a true hero , who gave it all when he had to . and i think that as other people have said the band is new
there getting to know one another , and maybe he's just tired from working his ass off for fans to have a new album
and he's been working hard for 15 years now . if you leave the board well youre just a non supporter :S
and I'll still be here thanking art for what he's done.

he deserves a good rest
maybe his voice is tired or he's sick .
but he is still there bravely fronting the band !!!
I think it's time that everclear fans give something back to art
for what he's done al these years to make us feel better !!!!!!!!!! .

Summerland13

Post by Summerland13 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:53 am

Everclear for life.
Art's music got me through some bad times. I would never turn my back on them ..they have grown over the past several years and it shows in the music. If you dont like it dont listen to it. A dedicated fan will go with the flow.. good or bad songs whatever at least give it a chance. Hes doing what he loves and its keeping us diehard fans happy!
Insane And Rising In My Own Weird Way - everclear

Mr Vaughan

Post by Mr Vaughan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:48 am

EverclearGTFABA wrote: Anyone else done?
Sadly, yes, although it happened about five years ago if I'm honest. I'll always have a soft spot for Everclear as they were sort of an entry point in to 'legitimate' music for teenage Mr Vaughan - and a lot of the old tracks still make me smile when they pop up on iPod shuffles - but best of's, cover versions and an album of tedious reworkings smacks of the artistically barren, and it's time for me to get off the Everlear bus. There's something faintly embarrassing about Art these days. To be honest, if they were playing in my back yard I'd probably struggle to work up the enthusiasm to open the curtains.

It's sad, but most artists get old and uninspired eventually. I prefer to remember the good times and move on to something fresh.
Mr Vaughan has spoken

everArt

Post by everArt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:31 pm

EverclearGTFABA wrote:On Monday I had the good fortune to fall into some free tickets to go see Everclear in NYC.

Anyone else done?

You've said "goodbye" before.
I have made it through bruised and scarred and half alive.

the_laughing_world

Post by the_laughing_world » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:46 pm

i agree with about 80% of what mr. vaughan was saying. and im sort of the same way. everclear has been my favorite band for about half my life and will continue to be for years to come (so i hope). i was never too keen on their stuff after GTFABA though. i don't know, lyric-wise it just wasn't really my cup of tea. just seemed a little too... whiny.
but all in all i respect the guys, new or old members of everclear. i continue to try and be active in the everclear community because i grew up on their stuff and i want to continue to discover the direction they will head to in the future whether or not its my kind of thing.
i guess what im trying to say is that i will always have a special place in my heart for these guys no matter what happens. and all ya'll here are just awesome people anyway :wink:

Jimmybinder

Post by Jimmybinder » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:42 am

Summerland13 wrote:Everclear for life.
Art's music got me through some bad times. I would never turn my back on them ..they have grown over the past several years and it shows in the music. If you dont like it dont listen to it. A dedicated fan will go with the flow.. good or bad songs whatever at least give it a chance. Hes doing what he loves and its keeping us diehard fans happy!
I don't think it's right to question "GTFABA"'s authenticity as a fan. Sometimes jumping ship is the only way to preserve the good times and keep them in that special place. It's sad to witness the rise and fall of something or someone that once meant so much to you.

pmack

Post by pmack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Disappointing to hear.

Regardless I'll be seeing them in T.O. in a few weeks.

I've loved these guys for half my life and have gone through some similar experiences to Art along the way.

I'll bet he's tired. Me too. I'm not even close to being a teenager anymore. 34 now, three kids, three jobs, wife, mortgage and bills drain you in every sense.

Keep kickin' it Art!

Crawling with my strawberry burns

EverclearGTFABA

Post by EverclearGTFABA » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:20 pm

SlowMotionTimmah wrote:Maybe the bags under his eyes are from him working so hard at getting a new release to you and touring?

Maybe the new members were added because the old ones left and this is the way there can still be an everclear?

Maybe they don't sound tight yet because they just started playing together a couple months ago?

Maybe Art isn't hitting all the same notes because he is older then he was when they were released and his voice has changed?

Maybe he shouldn't be touring for the sake of touring then.

Maybe there is a reason the old members left.

Maybe he should have waited until they were tight.

Maybe Art isn't hitting the notes because he isn't trying.

It sucks to see so many people question my authenticity as a fan. I know I've been, albeit one of the most critical, one of the most devoted fans Everclear has had. For the last six years Art and "Everclear" have constantly been going through unnecessary drama, releasing subpar music, and putting on crappy live shows. He doesn't make it easy to be an Everclear fan, and I wish, sometimes, we would get paid back for some of the dedication we show.
JuanCarlosVejar wrote:

Anyone else done?
so i think art deserves a break now , he deserves to be carried on the soulders of his fans
as a true hero , who gave it all when he had to
I don't think Art has ever been accused of being too appreciative of his fans. In fact, history would most likely show the exact opposite.

I grew up with Everclear. Now they are constantly underwhelming and mediocre in everything they do, and I firmly believe it's because of a lack of real trying.

Just my thoughts..

JuanCarlosVejar

Post by JuanCarlosVejar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:47 pm

EverclearGTFABA wrote:
SlowMotionTimmah wrote:Maybe the bags under his eyes are from him working so hard at getting a new release to you and touring?

Maybe he shouldn't be touring for the sake of touring then.

Maybe there is a reason the old members left.

Maybe he should have waited until they were tight.

Maybe Art isn't hitting the notes because he isn't trying.

It sucks to see so many people question my authenticity as a fan. I know I've been, albeit one of the most critical, one of the most devoted fans Everclear has had. For the last six years Art and "Everclear" have constantly been going through unnecessary drama, releasing subpar music, and putting on crappy live shows. He doesn't make it easy to be an Everclear fan, and I wish, sometimes, we would get paid back for some of the dedication we show.
JuanCarlosVejar wrote:

Anyone else done?
as a true hero , who gave it all when he had to
I don't think Art has ever been accused of being too appreciative of his fans. In fact, history would most likely show the exact opposite.

I grew up with Everclear. Now they are constantly underwhelming and mediocre in everything they do, and I firmly believe it's because of a lack of real trying.

Just my thoughts..
WELL I AM NOT PUTTING IN QUESTION you being a devoted fan .
but i don't see the reason why to just give up on art that way
maybe just give yourself a chance for the new album to come out give it a listen and if you don't like it
well then say goodbye , but give yourself the chance .

i don't think it's are lacking creativity or will to do better
i do think he can't push his voice to much anymore , so he should just retire i guess .
but then again their are still everclear fans who want to hear him still .
and if i'm not wrong he had a chance to join "THE NEw CARS" years ago
so i think they still thought his voice sounded good .

i think he could still do good music but maybe the way he does it is just the way it sounds in his head .
peace

Josh Santo

Post by Josh Santo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:57 am

WE all go through this at some point or another from what I've seen. To like Everclear is to enjoy being in a love/hate relationship. It's that simple. Lucky for us, we have this place to enjoy the good times, and bitch about the bad.

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Anyone else done?
i've been done for a while.
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!