Santa Monica / Wonderful Re-Records

Anything and everything Everclear.

grantprobst

Santa Monica / Wonderful Re-Records

Post by grantprobst » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:01 pm

this was posted on the "spotify" thread as well, but just thought i would try to get a disscusion going about it.
http://www.amazon.com/90s-Radio-Hits-Ex ... 59&sr=8-13

Anyone know if these were recorded in the same studio (or in the same time frame), as when they were in the studio recording the new album??

...If so, that might tell us a little bit about the sound for the new album.

-

Santa Monica - I really digged this version. It's a lot more rocking than the one on "in a different light". (with electric guitars, and without the cheesy keyboard intro!)
Art's voice is certainly a lot more rugged now, than it was in 1994, and i think that is why they were overcompensating with the auto-tune on this one,

But, the passion in Art's voice is back! And that is all that matters to me!

Wonderful - meh. not much different than previous versions. I think the acoustic guitar version on "in a different light" was actually a lot better, imo.

-
:arrow: Anyway, what do you guys think!? :wink:

JuanCarlosVejar

Re: Santa Monica / Wonderful Re-Records

Post by JuanCarlosVejar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:13 pm

I hope they recorded the new album in standard tuning and not half or a whole step down ...
We will have to see anyways ...

I hope they make a video too

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:19 am

I like the whole idea of this album. It's kinda cool to hear these new recordings of those 90s classics :) I'm so happy there are two Everclear songs on the album. Even though they're not new songs, and sounded better originally, I like the new sound a lot. The best way I can think to describe it is as is a souped up In a Different Light; better vocals (auto-tune), crunchier guitars, more driving/hard hitting rythms. I can't wait to hear new songs with this new sound. I really think Everclear might make a comeback with the new record. The fact that two of their song have been featured on this 90s radio hits album shows that they're still relavent in the music scene.
But ultimately, I'm at the point in my fan-hood where I will buy anything Art Alexakis and his band releases. But I feel like the release of these two re-records might foreshadow a modest return of the band. :D
Loopy says he likes it up on top...

JuanCarlosVejar

Post by JuanCarlosVejar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't hear to much auto-tune on Santa Monica , I actually think the IADL version is way more autotuned than this one :S
and I think that Wonderful sounds pretty nice on this , but not neither better than the original

Frasbul

Post by Frasbul » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Well here's my review. First off, I don't understand, why Art doesn't tell us via facebook, myspace or twitte that
two new everclear recordings are featured on a new cd. I don't get it. It seems like Art doesn't want his songs to be sold.

Santa Monica:
I really enjoy this version. Of course it's not better than the original, but it's pretty damn close! It really sounds like Art in 1995 again.
I also agree with JCV, I don't recognize too much autotune in this recording.

Wonderful:
I also like this version. Even though, I liked the IADL version better ( Wonderful works better acousticly), I still enjoy it.

-------
In general, I didn't think Art could sing that awesome anymore. It's 2011 for God's sake.. To me, his voice sounds almost as
amazin as in the SMFTA era.. I'm seriously impressed!

If the new album sounds like this, then WOW. Still, I just can't imagine that it's recorded in standard tune.. Nowadays Art just prefers
to go a full step down. Anyway, I can't wait!
You suffer from depression, it don't mean that you're sad.

grantprobst

Post by grantprobst » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 am

Frasbul wrote:First off, I don't understand, why Art doesn't tell us via facebook, myspace or twitter that
two new everclear recordings are featured on a new cd. I don't get it. It seems like Art doesn't want his songs to be sold.
Totally. Art has always had a hard time getting this whole "internet promotion" concept.
Through the years we have had the hideous incarnations of "everclearonline.com"

and then for a few months he got into myspace, but then just as quickly disapeared again.

--

anyway, kind of back on topic, just wanted to reiterate how much i am liking the new Santa Monica.
listening to it side by side with the sparkle and fade version, i would even dare to say that the new version is more "rocking". But that is just my current opinion.

JuanCarlosVejar

Post by JuanCarlosVejar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:29 pm

grantprobst wrote:
Frasbul wrote:First off, I don't understand, why Art doesn't tell us via facebook, myspace or twitter that
Totally. Art has always had a hard time getting this whole "internet promotion" concept.

and then for a few months he got into myspace, but then just as quickly disapeared again.

--

anyway, kind of back on topic, just wanted to reiterate how much i am liking the new Santa Monica.
listening to it side by side with the sparkle and fade version, i would even dare to say that the new version is more "rocking". But that is just my current opinion.
hey grant can you upload the "new" version of santa monica ?
I am outside of the states and I had a $1 mpr credit on Amazon. but It only is available for the U.S :( .

thanks

grantprobst

Post by grantprobst » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:43 pm

JuanCarlosVejar wrote:
grantprobst wrote:
hey grant can you upload the "new" version of santa monica ?
I am outside of the states and I had a $1 mpr credit on Amazon. but It only is available for the U.S :( .

thanks
Not sure if that is allowed on these forums, since it is a song everclear can still make money from,
But hook me up with an email, and i would be happy to send it your way, man! :wink:

clifornia_king

Post by clifornia_king » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:49 pm

grantprobst wrote:

--

Totally agree - I can see if everclearonline.com is not really running right now without the "demand" there for it, but in regards to Facebook or Twitter, that should be extremely easy for them. Even if it is not up Art's alley, let one of the younger more energetic members of the band control it. At this point, when you are trying to capture or re-capture an audience, and you have a free outlet to reach the masses, why not take advantage. There is no harm - it would be nice even for the hardcores to follow, keep in touch, and then they don't have the risk of losing them even as fans.

I would really like to see some sort of promotion around this next album - even if it is through the band online. I mean, generate some excitement or buzz. Rather than going on Fox News for some political rant that will just get lost and alienate some of the older crowd (which are most of the fan base now), go through Social Media and show some real behind the scenes. Buy a $200 Flip Cam and post some video from the Studio and Road. Nothing more than a 5 min update each day and you can get some daily traffic and generate the interest they deserve. Maybe some radio jocks will take notice and then all the sudden the single gets more airplay = tour = $$$. Hopefully something like this happens! I am so pumped for this new album - I still think WTTDC could have done some damage in Adult radio.
"My girlfriend is like magic in my hands, when I lose my sparkle she's the only one that understands"

"This is where I want to be Now"

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 am

kmk182 wrote:These don't sound like they are new to me. Sounds like old radio edits. I know it says "newly recorded/remastered" but check out some of the really old songs that it says that for. I guarentee Vanilla Ice doesn't sound like that in 2011. Not to mention that a few of the songs are just re-recorded as "Tributes". Since Art doesn't own the catalog I doubt he has anything to do with this. These were in the vaults somewhere.
The Everclear songs are definitely re-records. For starters, that isn't Craig singing backup. Second, if you listen to them on iTunes, you can hear 90 seconds, and they're clearly not vintage vocals. Lathered with auto-tune. At first, I wondered if Art might have pulled the vocals off of old demos or live performances, but hearing more of the version, it's obvious that's not the case.

Compared to other recent Everclear recordings, the vocals aren't terrible. But they're not from the 90s, either.

You can't compare the Everclear songs to the other performers on the compilation. These tracks are coming from the artists, not from the original labels, so they're all over the map.

The mix of "Santa Monica" sounds more "rock" because it's got more modern processing. I've never been a fan of Brain Malouf's mix on the original, which, to me, undercuts the power of the song. However, I still prefer that one to this one.

My personal take - the band didn't mention these on the website because they're not really something to proudly announce. This kind of re-recording is just a cash grab. In my opinion, it's embarrassing - it's one thing to put out an album of re-records for yourself, it's another thing to donate a couple of re-records to one of these ridiculous labels, particularly on an album that includes non-artist re-records. Within the next year, we're going to see these same two tracks show up on a bunch of unrelated compilations.

This kind of thing really annoys me. I'm so tired of trying to find an original recording on iTunes, and instead finding 25 copies of the same terrible re-record. I don't want the re-record (unless it's something different and interesting) - I just want the original version. (I've often bought stuff off of the Canadian iTunes store where the American store only had the crappy re-record.)

The sad part is that Art and/or the label will have to pay royalties to whoever owns the rights those songs now. It's essentially like recording a cover of another song. Hilariously, that means that Greg and Craig might actually make money off of these.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:04 am

My personal take - the band didn't mention these on the website because they're not really something to proudly announce. This kind of re-recording is just a cash grab. In my opinion, it's embarrassing - it's one thing to put out an album of re-records for yourself, it's another thing to donate a couple of re-records to one of these ridiculous labels, particularly on an album that includes non-artist re-records. Within the next year, we're going to see these same two tracks show up on a bunch of unrelated compilations.
Yep. You've all seen those 4.99 CD compilations at Best Buy. They have really popular songs, but are "newly recorded versions." It's not really the best product and I don't think Everclear put this out for us, their true fans. I don't really think it's something they'd encourage us to go out and buy. I do think that the Everclear songs are the best ones. The others sound super cheesy.
The mix of "Santa Monica" sounds more "rock" because it's got more modern processing.
I think it's those scooped guitars in the second verse onwards in particular. It borders on a heavy metal guitar sound. It was surprising to me.

cien_bolas

Post by cien_bolas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 am

ANOTHER Re-recording of the same two old songs? I wonder how IWBYANL wasn't re-recorded... again...

So... reading your comments i am now wondering... should i buy the two songs via i-Tunes or not?

Greetings everyone :)

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

If you want 'em, buy 'em. I might have been unclear before. I'm not saying steal the songs or anything like that. I'm just saying it's understandable that Art didn't announce this to his fans as new Everclear recordings that we should take note of. Art was obviously proud of In a Different Light. Those songs and arrangements meant something to him and were interesting for us to listen to. These two re-recordings are an attempt to do a note for note and beat for beat copycat and aren't particularly significant in my opinion.

Alex

Frasbul

Post by Frasbul » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Chris B wrote: My personal take - the band didn't mention these on the website because they're not really something to proudly announce. This kind of re-recording is just a cash grab. In my opinion, it's embarrassing - it's one thing to put out an album of re-records for yourself, it's another thing to donate a couple of re-records to one of these ridiculous labels, particularly on an album that includes non-artist re-records. Within the next year, we're going to see these same two tracks show up on a bunch of unrelated compilations.
Let me ask you a question: What is Art's job?
Right, he is a musician.

Another one: What is the purpose of having a job?
Right, you want to earn yourself a living.

Having said that, of course these re-recordings are a cash grab. And there is NOTHING wrong with that. Art doesn't do music for fun, he does it to earn money.
-----

On a side note, I think you are way to pessimistic. I - for instance - was happy to hear some new recordings. Of course, they aren't as good as their original - but still I liked the fact that the band is providing us with new material. You on the other hand, have to high expectations. Just my 2 cents
You suffer from depression, it don't mean that you're sad.

JuanCarlosVejar

Post by JuanCarlosVejar » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:19 pm

Frasbul wrote:
Chris B wrote: My personal take - the band didn't mention these on the website because they're not really something to proudly announce. This kind of re-recording is just a cash grab. In my opinion, it's embarrassing - it's one thing to put out an album of re-records for yourself, it's another thing to donate a couple of re-records to one of these ridiculous labels, particularly on an album that includes non-artist re-records. Within the next year, we're going to see these same two tracks show up on a bunch of unrelated compilations.
Let me ask you a question: What is Art's job?
Right, he is a musician.

Another one: What is the purpose of having a job?
Right, you want to earn yourself a living.

Having said that, of course these re-recordings are a cash grab. And there is NOTHING wrong with that. Art doesn't do music for fun, he does it to earn money.
-----

On a side note, I think you are way to pessimistic. I - for instance - was happy to hear some new recordings. Of course, they aren't as good as their original - but still I liked the fact that the band is providing us with new material. You on the other hand, have to high expectations. Just my 2 cents

Hey Frasbul , I don't think chris is pessimistic I just think that most of us on the board ar tired or rerecordings . I think the IADL ones were enough
but I do believe that rerecordings just show your a washed up band , so Art wants no part in promoting that . And this material really isn't new
Santa Monica is 15 years old ... so It gets old after sometime . I really think this NEW record is Art's last stand , his last chance to recapture lost fans and new
fans . I once read he like to pretend he was Brian Wilson . Let's hope he does something nice and reminiscent of the great rock band thar everclear is in our minds .