The Summerland Tour Thread

Anything and everything Everclear.

Re: The Summerland Tour Thread

Postby yourstupidgame » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:59 am

Some pics from the Ft Worth show (Dallas Observer)

http://www.dallasobserver.com/slideshow ... 7251966/#1

Have fun in Columbus!

Alex
yourstupidgame

Postby Josh Santo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Wish I could be there with you Timmah And CKing! Hope to read your reports soon :) (Yes, I'm sad that I cant go :()
Josh Santo

Postby yourstupidgame » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 pm

So what's the story in Columbus? There were some harsh reviews on Facebook.

Alex
yourstupidgame

Postby SlowMotionTimmah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:21 pm

What review?? The one I read said the same as usual that it was a great show but Arts voice is shot..

It was a great show in Columbus! It was my first time at the venue and basically my first time in Columbus since I was kid. It was beautiful! I didn't feel like I was going to contract AIDS and be stabbed in an alley like I normally feel after a concert in Cleveland. Very nice area and a very nice venue! The place was packed! They couldn't have fit anymore people in there if they wanted to. The crowd seemed great but we were right up near the barricade and were by some real douche bags the whole night. The lineup was Marcy Playground, Lit, Gin Blossoms, Sugar Ray, and Everclear last. Art and Mark introduced each set. They were sure to mention that this is going to be a yearly thing. Sounds like EC/Sugar Ray and then who knows. I'm about to post a ton of pics including a pic of the EC setlist on my FB so if we're FB friends, check it out. If we're not, hit me up.

Marcy Playground was good, but I really only know the one song from them.

Lit put on a great show. Much heavier rock then the rest of the bands which is more up my alley so I was really digging their set. Art sang Miserable with Lit which was cool, but you could tell he was dreading it because of his voice. I managed to get a guitar pick from Lit.

Gin Blossoms have a lot of songs that I recognized that I didn't even realize were their songs lol. They put on a good set, but some of their members just came off as pissy grandparents haha.

Sugar Ray put on the best show of the night. I was really impressed by how good Mark is live. They played all the typical hits. They had a lot of fun up there. Looks like they've gone through some lineup changes as well.

Everclear was the best I have seen them since the "original" lineup in 2003. Art was fine, but you could tell his voice is harsh. It seems to me that it would be way better if they just turned his mic up ALL the way. I don't know why they don't. Lits singer was suppose to come out and sing a song with EC but he was to drunk and no showed but then showed up during Santa Monica and sang most the song. Art hardly sang any of Santa Monica.

The EC setlist:
Afterglow (with full intro)
Father of Mine
E2E
Heroin Girl
New Life
Be Careful What You Ask For
AM Radio
Wonderful
classic rock medley
Santa Monica

If it was up to me, they would have played Summerland (duh) instead of AM Radio and maybe another new song or two instead of the medley.
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis
SlowMotionTimmah

Postby SlowMotionTimmah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Nevermind. I found the FB 'reviews'. Some people are blaming Arts voice for not liking their set but most are blaming the sound guys. I didn't think anything was wrong with the sound. It was a combination of Arts voice being shot and him never being back to the mic in time. This is what we've been use to the last decade, but I guess to all these morons that haven't been around, this is not the norm lol. Whatever. I enjoyed it.
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis
SlowMotionTimmah

Postby SlowMotionTimmah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:26 pm

There's this moron on FB who keeps posting about how Art was drunk last night and how everyone knows it. I'd love to see this tool question Arts sobriety to his face. If you don't like a bands set because their 50 year old singer has the voice of a 50 year old then fine but stfu and move along. I've been sober 9 years. If some dude was telling everyone that I relapsed, I'd beat the shit out of him. That is all.
SlowMotionTimmah

Postby clifornia_king » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 pm

I was at the show also. Probably about my 12th show overall and 3 or 4 in recent years. This IS the best they have sounded since before Arts vocal surgeries. That goes back to before 03 I believe. Yes he always doesn't get back to the mic in time and misses lyrics, but fwiw he was the only one who plays guitar and signs. McGrath, Lit and Gin all have singers who focus on singing. It's awesome because you can see Art singing the words, he just always isn't into the mic. It's a rock show and that's what you get with everclear most of the time, even back in the day. I'm ok with that. I do agree that they should turn his mic way up. It's always a complaint so why not crank his vocals and error on the side of them being too much? Just a thought.

As for the show, it was great. I really think Sugar Ray was a disappointment in a way. Im not sure why everyone is saying they steal the show. a - they are a headliner. B - they played maybe a total of 5 songs. Granted, when they played, they were great, but all the interludes of other songs or tv shows references was semi cool, but got a little old after so much. Mark McGrath knows how to entertain, I guess I would have liked more music from them and a little less entertainment. Lit is lit. Hard rocking but really 2 songs worth hearing. New stuff sounded like Poison or something. Gin Blossoms were great. Spot on music, little less energy thank I would want, but really good none the less. I missed Marcy playground, which doesn't upset me.

Everclear had a great mix of songs I thought and the length was good for the type of show it was. Tons of energy, I thought more than anyone all night. Opening with harmonies of SMFTA made my night. Took me back and that is how that show needed to be opened. Kudos to the band there. Heroin Girl had the extra flare going back to the old days which was awesome. e2e sounded good as did IWBYANL. I agree AM radio is just tough to pull off live anymore, but people know it and actually responded well to it I thought. Probably could get away without playing it. They have enough hits. Replace it with YMMFLAW or TBABIT or something like that. I wish Local God would have made an appearance instead of the medley, but that was cool to hear too. Santa Monica was butchered a bit by Lit as mentioned, but Art closed it out nice.

The band is extremely tight and rocking hard. They are great together.

Overall, this was a great show on a great tour on a great night. Pretty much just how Art sold it. Turnout was unreal and I think the bands were shocked and grateful. Hopefully we can get a good tour after this with the band and maybe a few others.
"My girlfriend is like magic in my hands, when I lose my sparkle she's the only one that understands"

"This is where I want to be Now"
clifornia_king

Postby Josh Santo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks Timmah.
Josh Santo

Postby Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Art's not a great singer anymore, if he ever was. I guess that can be a revelation if you don't attend lot's of Everclear shows, but it's been that way a good long time.

If you go to see Everclear because you love the band and you love the stories Art tells and the songs mean something to you, then you are going to have a great time. If you expecting to hear a great vocal performance out of Art, just not going to happen most nights.
Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Postby JuanCarlosVejar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 pm

to be honest ... Art would sound way better if he stopped doing the hits and started doing invisible stars songs ... they suite his voice alot more

JC
JuanCarlosVejar

Postby clifornia_king » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:49 pm

JuanCarlosVejar wrote:to be honest ... Art would sound way better if he stopped doing the hits and started doing invisible stars songs ... they suite his voice alot more

JC

He sounded great at the Hard Rockshow in March doing all the hits acoustic. He could focus on the singing and getting all the words on time in the mic and it was louder than his instrument. When they rock out as a band, his voice is just too low to carry over the music and thats the way it usually is. I'm good with it because I know the songs and get that is Everclear. To those looking to see a good show, the may see it another way. With all the debate, I can say that the Columbus show was really good overall. People didn't leave that much and everyone I was around was rocking out the entire show. A few people with loud voices on FB portray it one way, and it is not very accurate.
"My girlfriend is like magic in my hands, when I lose my sparkle she's the only one that understands"

"This is where I want to be Now"
clifornia_king

Postby JuanCarlosVejar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 pm

clifornia_king wrote:
JuanCarlosVejar wrote:to be honest ... Art would sound way better if he stopped doing the hits and started doing invisible stars songs ... they suite his voice alot more

JC

He sounded great at the Hard Rockshow in March doing all the hits acoustic. He could focus on the singing and getting all the words on time in the mic and it was louder than his instrument. When they rock out as a band, his voice is just too low to carry over the music and thats the way it usually is. I'm good with it because I know the songs and get that is Everclear. To those looking to see a good show, the may see it another way. With all the debate, I can say that the Columbus show was really good overall. People didn't leave that much and everyone I was around was rocking out the entire show. A few people with loud voices on FB portray it one way, and it is not very accurate.

I know he will never sound like the old days ... why not do the hits solo acoustically and song from invisible stars full blown electric ???

JC
JuanCarlosVejar

Postby yourstupidgame » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 pm

On the subject of Sugar Ray - they are entertaining and fun, but their setlist is really lacking in real Sugar Ray songs. Their set was the same for all three TX shows:

(Saved By the Bell Tape intro)
Wipeout (instrumental without Mark McGrath)
Someday (with Groovin' snippet cover)
Answer the Phone
Every Morning
When it's Over
Mean Machine / Blitzkrieg Bop
(Karaoke Battle with audience members)
Fly
(Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Theme Tape outro)

All this added up to about 35 minutes and they only played 6 real Sugar Ray songs. Even opener Marcy Playground played 8 original songs. Sugar Ray may not have a deep album catalog, but "Falls Apart" and "Under the Sun" are pretty catchy and might have been good in concert. Their set helped re-establish their reputation as a singles band.

Alex
yourstupidgame

Postby SlowMotionTimmah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Maybe Sugar Rays new bassist and drummer only know 6 songs thus far lol.
SlowMotionTimmah

Postby SlowMotionTimmah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Another part I forgot to mention about the Columbus show is the reason Art didn't sing much of Santa Monica is because after failing to come out when he was suppose to for a cover because he was to drunk, Lits singer came out part way through Santa Monica and grabbed Arts mic and never gave it back.

Also, Art almost got took out twice towards the end. First, Everclears bassist nearly knocked him out with his bass and then a couple minutes later, Lits guitarist tried to hug Art and almost wiped him out lol. After the set you could see Art talking to Lits singer backstage and he didn't exactly look happy.
SlowMotionTimmah

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion