Everclear to be inducted into the Oregon Music Hall Of Fame

Anything and everything Everclear.

worldofnoise

Re: Everclear to be inducted into the Oregon Music Hall Of F

Post by worldofnoise » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk wrote:I hear you, but I have to be honest...I don't give a sh*t about Craig Montoya.

The guy comes here to an Everclear message board and openly mocks the songs we love, and songs that he played on even.
When specifically are you referring to?
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Post by Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:36 pm

worldofnoise wrote:
Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk wrote:I hear you, but I have to be honest...I don't give a sh*t about Craig Montoya.

The guy comes here to an Everclear message board and openly mocks the songs we love, and songs that he played on even.
This is a good example:

For those who are interested...... The new TRI-POLAR record rocks some serious ass.. I'm not saying it's gonna change history or rock n roll. It's just fun ,good time,drinkin,druggin,fuckkin shit up old school rock n roll. I'm not singing about how the world has done me wrong, or how sad i am that my girl friend broke my lil heart or how fucked up i am cuz my daddy left me. This is about being reckless,out of control,sex crazed,live for the moment ,,rock. Most of you will hate it... we will not be playing colleges or county fairs.

The guy wants to come to the Everclear site to promote his new band, whatever...it's cool. But he was clearly mocking Everclear's music here, music that he played on. So eff him. He wanted to distance himself from being part of that, and as far as I am concerned he succeeded. He wasn't an important part of it to me.

SlowMotionTimmah

Post by SlowMotionTimmah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk wrote:
worldofnoise wrote:

This is a good example:

For those who are interested...... The new TRI-POLAR record rocks some serious ass.. I'm not saying it's gonna change history or rock n roll. It's just fun ,good time,drinkin,druggin,fuckkin shit up old school rock n roll. I'm not singing about how the world has done me wrong, or how sad i am that my girl friend broke my lil heart or how fucked up i am cuz my daddy left me. This is about being reckless,out of control,sex crazed,live for the moment ,,rock. Most of you will hate it... we will not be playing colleges or county fairs.

The guy wants to come to the Everclear site to promote his new band, whatever...it's cool. But he was clearly mocking Everclear's music here, music that he played on. So eff him. He wanted to distance himself from being part of that, and as far as I am concerned he succeeded. He wasn't an important part of it to me.
I find what Craig said less offensive then what Art says about Craig and Greg, truth or not.
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis

Copper

Post by Copper » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Yeah I can't say I hold a few petty potshots at Art against him. Art wrote a few very strong albums and he's a talented guy, but I've never gotten the impression he was terribly pleasant to work with. If things were bad enough for easy-going Greg to quit too they must have been pretty bad, aye?

grantprobst

Post by grantprobst » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:46 am

Every good band needs a "John Lennon", and a "Paul McCartney".

One for lyrical depth, and to create something meaningful. (Art)
And one to keep it fun and/or rocking, through the dreariness. (Craig/Greg)

:)

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 am

When Craig came on here and posted that stuff years ago I was originally upset and a little mad at him for doing so (and I voiced my opinion).

Obviously he didn't take the considerate or even "classy" approach to discussing EC, and really didn't want to discuss EC at all but rather wanted to promote his band to fans. Looking back now, I don't really blame him. Could he have been cooler to us fans on here and at least humored us with some EC discussion? Sure. Could he have witheld his backhanded Art/EC comments? Absolutely. However, for him to do those things would be him not being honest with the fans, and Craig has always come across as a rather honest and upfront person. He calls a spade a spade, and to expect him to bottle up the years of unhappiness and issues he had with Art and just put on a smile for us fans (especially at a time when he's trying to start a new chapter in his life) would be unfair and unhealthy IMO.

Further, I think a lot of people write off Craig and Greg as being just the "bassist" and "drummer" back in EC's heyday, when really they were pretty integral in the band's sound and live performances. From my understanding, Craig was involved in the songwriting and basslines for WON, and the basslines for S&F and SMFTA. After that, Art took complete control (as Craig put it, he felt a lot of pressure to succeed after S&F). Similarly, Greg's drumming on all of his work with EC is spectacular, and in their live performances even more so (ever catch his drum solos during the SMFTA tour? I.e. before E2E on their HBO show? Pretty wicked). Those two greatly contributed to EC's aggressive and tight sound, and the chemistry the three had early on was impeccable even when they became a 4 or 5 piece band. Were they the drummer and bassist? Yes, but they weren't JUST the drummer and bassist.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Post by Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:25 am

There are obviously two distinctly different types of Everclear fans. There are those who loved them for the rock band they were (not that they ever really were that hard of a band), and there are those who love them for the story teller Art is.

I have always been the second kind. Obviously the majority of the fans here are the first.

I am a huge fan because of the stories the songs tell. That's why Craig wasn't an important part of the band for me. Not only did he have nothing to do with the stories, he HATED them and made no secret about it.

The people who miss Craig and Greg as part of the band generally didn't like Welcome to the Drama Club, and a lot of them are even luke warm to Invisible Stars. I think those albums are right on par with everything Everclear has done in the past.

Art Alexakis may be the biggest d*ck in the world to work with, but he is still Everclear, and he always has been for me.

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 am

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk wrote:The guy comes here to an Everclear message board and openly mocks the songs we love, and songs that he played on even.
You're missing the giant backstory here.

Craig only said made those comments after Art had spent months trashing both he and Greg in the press. Every interview Art gave after the breakup, he talked about how they weren't good musicians, how it was "Art's decision" to change the lineup of the band, and other nonsense. Craig and Greg tried to take the high road - they said NOTHING about the breakup. Months later, when it was clear that people were starting to believe Art's bullshit, Craig finally had had enough. And I really can't blame him for that.

Craig and Greg quit the band. There is no alternative version of that story. Art lied (repeatedly) to try and save face.

Should Craig have continued to keep his mouth shut? Probably. But if a former bandmate spends the better part of a year trashing you in public, would you have the strength to just let it go?

An example, from a 2004 interview:
Alexakis parted ways with longtime band mates Craig Montoya and Greg Eklund last year only to rebuild Everclear with different members as a quintet months later. "We were kind of getting sick of each other," Alexakis said of the power trio that climbed the charts with hits such as "Father of Mine" and "AM Radio." "I think I was getting tired of writing songs to make a certain member of the band happy," he said. "And it wasn't the kind of music I wanted to play, per se. Even though I like the rock, I'm 42, man, and I've done it for a long time."
With his new lineup, he said he has found a better symbiosis. "Me and the guys in my band now, we're all grown men," Alexakis said. "We all act like grown men. There's no heavy drinking or drugs. We've had those problems in the band in the past with a certain member of the band."

Copper

Post by Copper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:10 pm

What Chris said.

Also, for me, it has nothing to do with whether or not Everclear rocks. I never really thought of them as a particularly heavy band anyway, which is why I was always a little puzzled by GTFABA being billed as a "return to rock." GTFABA is this weird arena rock record that doesn't sound like any of their other albums anyway...

And for the record, I liked WTTDC. It's better than SMD, at least. It felt like a natural progression into dad-rock, kinda reminded me a bit of Sky Blue Sky by Wilco. Invisible Stars, not so much. Aside from a couple songs I enjoy, I think it's kind of bland and pandering, to be honest. Art himself once said he thought Everclear only had like five good albums in them.

I have no expectation Greg and Craig will play at this ceremony, or even probably attend, it just seems weird to induct members of Everclear into a Hall of Fame who were never in the band when they were famous nor played on any of the albums people actually bought and listened to. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for example, is selective about which members of a band are included in the induction when there's been these kind of lineup changes.

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Post by Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Chris B wrote:
Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk wrote:The guy comes here to an Everclear message board and openly mocks the songs we love, and songs that he played on even.
You're missing the giant backstory here.

Craig only said made those comments after Art had spent months trashing both he and Greg in the press. Every interview Art gave after the breakup, he talked about how they weren't good musicians, how it was "Art's decision" to change the lineup of the band, and other nonsense. Craig and Greg tried to take the high road - they said NOTHING about the breakup. Months later, when it was clear that people were starting to believe Art's bullshit, Craig finally had had enough. And I really can't blame him for that.

Craig and Greg quit the band. There is no alternative version of that story. Art lied (repeatedly) to try and save face.

Should Craig have continued to keep his mouth shut? Probably. But if a former bandmate spends the better part of a year trashing you in public, would you have the strength to just let it go?

An example, from a 2004 interview:
Alexakis parted ways with longtime band mates Craig Montoya and Greg Eklund last year only to rebuild Everclear with different members as a quintet months later. "We were kind of getting sick of each other," Alexakis said of the power trio that climbed the charts with hits such as "Father of Mine" and "AM Radio." "I think I was getting tired of writing songs to make a certain member of the band happy," he said. "And it wasn't the kind of music I wanted to play, per se. Even though I like the rock, I'm 42, man, and I've done it for a long time."
With his new lineup, he said he has found a better symbiosis. "Me and the guys in my band now, we're all grown men," Alexakis said. "We all act like grown men. There's no heavy drinking or drugs. We've had those problems in the band in the past with a certain member of the band."
Wow. I think that is a pretty bold thing to say that Art repeatedly lied to try and save face. I have seen him make petty rips of Craig, lots of them, but I've never seen him make an attempt to claim that it was his idea to get rid of Craig. I have actually seen him say the opposite.

Do you have any better quotes to back that up? Because the one's you provided certainly don't. I think he is just reflecting on the positive aspects of the change.

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Post by Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Don't get me wrong, Art can be extremely arrogant and petty at times. I just think calling him a liar is awfully aggressive.

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Post by Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Also the whole he said, he said thing with Art and Craig is kind of not my point.

The point is that Craig has made every effort to disassociate himself with both the band and the music that he played on, so I doubt he'd even want to accept it if the Oregon Music Hall of Fame was picking particular band members.

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk wrote:Do you have any better quotes to back that up? Because the one's you provided certainly don't. I think he is just reflecting on the positive aspects of the change.
"He's a Drama King", Asbury Park Press, February 23 2007.
Alexakis fired his longtime rhythm section, including bassist Craig Montoya and drummer Greg Eklund.

"I was just tired of carrying the band," Alexakis said. "The old bassist wasn't that much of a bassist. He had a great stage personality and he could sing, but there wasn't much more than that. I couldn't continue on with what I was working with."

Copper

Post by Copper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 pm

That, and ever since they quit Art's been pushing this angle that Everclear has, like, totally always just been his solo project. Which is total bullshit. NOW it is. When he does interviews he's always on his own, I've noticed he's the only guy in the meet and greet pictures from the summerland tour, and he replaces band members with little fanfare. Basically he tours as Everclear because his name isn't well known enough to book the kind of shows he can as Everclear. But if you go back to the "classic lineup" days you'll notice there's no interviews where Art is like "Yeah, my bassist is Craig Montoya... etc etc" like he does now. Hell, if that was really his outlook from the beginning he would've just released "Arthur" as an Everclear album instead of bringing in Greg and Craig. Art's always been into this revisionist history thing, even in the old days. I remember he got pretty irritated when someone sent a polite e-mail asking about Pure White Evil and said something like "Pure White Evil does not exist!"

It just seems really petty and dishonest to keep pushing this "the old guys didn't matter" angle almost ten years after they quit.

grantprobst

Post by grantprobst » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Copper wrote:It just seems really petty and dishonest to keep pushing this "the old guys didn't matter" angle almost ten years after they quit.
<---- this.