Art Alexakis Solo vs. Everclear

Anything and everything Everclear.

northwestrocker

Art Alexakis Solo vs. Everclear

Post by northwestrocker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:18 am

Last week I mentioned in one of my posts that I wouldn't mind if 'Invisible Stars' was EC's last album. Obviously I, like most others, would love to have new EC to listen to till the day Art croaks, but realistically that's not... well, realistic. The new album really blew me away in terms of overall quality. Head and shoulders above WTTDC, SMD, and Vol. 2 in my opinion, even through some shoddy lyrics at times. This album just feels like a classic EC album, and not only added some new elements to EC's sound, but summarized a lot of Art's sound throughout his career overall (at least post-WON/S&F). With this being said, we have to ask how much EC does Art have in the tank? I don't think he's really written anything superior lyrically to EC's first 4 albums. The albums aren't selling either, not than many bands are now days. For Art, EC is his 9-5 job right now, and probably will be until he is stable financially.

I'll give him credit though, despite being 50 and having gone through what he has with his vocals and personal life (and playing the number of shows he has -more than most artists), the guy could be in a lot worse shape. I've also noticed that when he's rested and not playing a lot of shows, his performances are much better vocally & overall. This draws me to my main point, which is that Art solo is superior to EC as a band these days. An acoustic guitar downtuned just compliments Art's voice so well and covers his lack of range these days, it's ridiculous. I think because he isn't trying to sing over a full band he's able to sing more comfortably and hit the softer notes. Ever catch his performance of 'The Weight'? If not, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMxZ1a_uk0

or here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oE39y4tCyU

Art's solo shows just seem so much more enjoyable to me these days than EC, and I think the crowd reactions are a lot better too. Art is great in small, intimate settings and has great fan interaction; I can't say the same for EC shows all the time. The product Art puts out solo is a pretty good product for fans (at least live), I think he could have a pretty decent solo career post-EC a la Elliot Smith. What do you all think? Would you rather see Art solo or see EC? What about the future? I think an "Arthur" album would be neat, at least the idea of it, you guys? And would you mind if 'Invisible Stars' was EC's last album?
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

JuanCarlosVejar

Re: Art Alexakis Solo vs. Everclear

Post by JuanCarlosVejar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am

I think they can do 1 more album in the next 2 years and then Art could consider doing the solo acoustic stuff .
I think the same he sings better when he is rested and alone with his guitar.

JC

grantprobst

Post by grantprobst » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Art doing acoustic music COULD be great.
I think it just depends on the kind of music that he wants to write/record.

If he is writing songs like "Falling In A Good Way", then he is better off with everclear.
But if he were writing more laid back songs like "Portland Rain", and "Santa Ana Wind",
he could easily do some cool, bluesy, solo versions with songs like that.

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Post by Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:02 pm

The deal for Art is that he needs to make money, and he probably just doesn't have much opportunity to make money as a solo artist because a lot of Everclear fans are "rock" fans.

I've seen his acoustic show. There were maybe two hundred people there (or less) at a free show at the Hard Rock Cafe. I am sure there isn't much money in that.

clifornia_king

Post by clifornia_king » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 pm

There is no reason for Art to not tour and write under Everclear, I mean the band name means something to a lot of people. I think if he really wanted, he could go solo and do that, but to some extent, I think that is what Everclear has always been. I know this is the same debate we have in a few threads, but really, from a song writing perspective, it is true. It would be interesting to see if any "new" traction would be gained or maybe more of an "adult contemporary" / more mellow following would come out of it.

I am perfectly fine with it how it is - keep Everclear going with a good mix of story telling, rock and pop. It is what Art does best in my mind.
"My girlfriend is like magic in my hands, when I lose my sparkle she's the only one that understands"

"This is where I want to be Now"

Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk

Post by Crzy_Wth_N_Evl_Strk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:13 pm

clifornia_king wrote:There is no reason for Art to not tour and write under Everclear, I mean the band name means something to a lot of people. I think if he really wanted, he could go solo and do that, but to some extent, I think that is what Everclear has always been. I know this is the same debate we have in a few threads, but really, from a song writing perspective, it is true. It would be interesting to see if any "new" traction would be gained or maybe more of an "adult contemporary" / more mellow following would come out of it.

I am perfectly fine with it how it is - keep Everclear going with a good mix of story telling, rock and pop. It is what Art does best in my mind.
Agree 100%. I would like to see the guys change the set lest dramatically though. Art could go a long way toward making WTTDC and Invisible Stars relevant Everclear albums if he actually mixed songs from those albums into the set.

And frankly, it's obvious that he is sick of playing certain songs.