Fire Maple Song and Weezer's Say it Ain't So

Anything and everything Everclear.

yourstupidgame

Fire Maple Song and Weezer's Say it Ain't So

Post by yourstupidgame » Tue May 27, 2014 12:37 pm

I just realized these two songs share some musical similarities. Has anyone else noticed that? What do you think? I'll let you guys go first and then I'll share any other observations. I wonder if one influenced the other. I know Everclear was performing FMS and it was released independently in 1993, but I don't know the history of Say it Ain't So, besides being on the debut Weezer album in 94. Didn't the two bands do some shows together pretty early on?

Alex

yourstupidgame

Re: Fire Maple Song and Weezer's Say it Ain't So

Post by yourstupidgame » Tue May 27, 2014 10:09 pm

Anything? Here's a link to the YouTube video if you need a refresher on Say it Ain't So:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo

Alex

clifornia_king

Post by clifornia_king » Wed May 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Yeah I play guitar and have always thought this. They have a few differences but many similarities between chords and progressions. Probably could say this for a lot of alternative rock from the era, I think the tone and lyrical make up are really what differentiates a lot.
"My girlfriend is like magic in my hands, when I lose my sparkle she's the only one that understands"

"This is where I want to be Now"

Copper

Post by Copper » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 pm

"Say It Ain't So" was written in 1992. http://web227.xps8.microserver.de/ng/COR.html

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Thu May 29, 2014 11:25 am

Interesting.

Well, both songs are in the key of E. The harmonic progression during "I can't smile" for Fire Maple Song is : G# C#m A E. Say it Ain't so differs only in order: C#m G# A E. During the 2nd chorus and every time after, Rivers hits an E note between those chords. After the bridge in FMS, one of the guitars plays an E note with the chords. Almost the same thing.

Both songs feature a well developed bridge. They use interesting chords outside the "normal" chords for the key. FMS: "Now I live alone and you're so far away" and from Say it Ain't So: "Dear daddy, I write you." Those are really cool parts in both songs and they both lead to an instrumental section.

Maybe I've forgotten my alternative rock from the earlier 90s, but this arrangement with the unusual bridge seemed somewhat unique to me. In the case of these two songs, the lyrics reference childhood memories, so there is a similarity there. In FMS it seems to be recalling a sweeter memory in contrast to a current hardship while Say it Ain't So recalls a memory of fear and uneasiness.

Alex

bravedisease

Post by bravedisease » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:05 pm

you guys are over analyzing way to much.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:46 am

Nice first post.

Even though there's a tour going on now, there's not a lot to talk about. I'm a music guy. I hear patterns and notice trends in music. I thought it might spur a discussion on trends in alternative music but we didn't get very far. Oh well.

Alex

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 pm

A gem of a first post.

While this thread may be over analyzing it did get me to bust out the Blue Album - so thank you!

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:21 pm

That's cool! I've also been listening to some old Weezer while anticipating their new album. I even played "In the Garage" at my covers show for the first time in a long time last night! Ever since I made this thread, "Say it Ain't So" has been on my mind, but I haven't played it yet.

Alex

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:53 pm

While some may consider it over-analysis, it was a interesting conversation to read and consider. I did find it very amusing that someone felt the need to join the boards to comment on a topic that had overwise run it's course 3 weeks earlier, but now I might be guilty of over analyzing his motives... :D
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

Lee Harvey Oswald

Post by Lee Harvey Oswald » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:16 pm

I just wanna say that I hate Weezer

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Lee Harvey Oswald wrote:I just wanna say that I hate Weezer
Say it ain't so.

grantprobst

Post by grantprobst » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:30 am

yourstupidgame wrote:That's cool! I've also been listening to some old Weezer while anticipating their new album. I even played "In the Garage" at my covers show for the first time in a long time last night! Ever since I made this thread, "Say it Ain't So" has been on my mind, but I haven't played it yet.

Alex
"In the Garage" has always been one of my favorite Weezer tunes. Far better than Say It Ain't So.