Finally: The Man Who Broke His Own Heart

Anything and everything Everclear.

grantprobst

Re: Finally: The Man Who Broke His Own Heart

Post by grantprobst » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Josh Santo wrote:I think too many people are religious and that causes unnecessary hate for JWAD. It's one of the best songs Art has written since SMDD. Fuck Jesus!
One thing can be said about this song, it has certainly been discussed to death!
(...Even in a thread that is supposed to be about The Man Who Broke His Own Heart)

I hope that JWAD isn't rerecorded, however. 1. because we already have a decent studio recording of that particular song, and 2. It would be just one less new song that we could be hearing on the next album (presumably)

But either way, it doesn't matter all too much.
I am just hoping for a good record! A "Jesus Was A Democrat" rerecording is hardly going to kill that. It is just less desirable to me than some more new songs.

grantprobst

Post by grantprobst » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm

But back on topic (slightly), Only A Fool Breaks His Own Heart. :wink:
http://youtu.be/dX9gEL8jRFE

Copper

Post by Copper » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Rob wrote:
Copper wrote:Jesus Was A Democrat is far and away the worst thing Art has ever written. Volvo Driving Soccer Mom seems subtle and thoughtful in comparison.
I'd put Jesus Was a Democrat in the top 50th percentile of Everclear Songs. Not every piece has to be subtle
Not every piece has to be subtle but every piece should be good. JWAD is a bad song. It is poorly written and poorly executed and the thought of Art listening to the finished recording and going "Oh yeah, that rocks, let's put that out" makes me cringe.

And I say this completely separate from the message of the song. I don't hate the song for religious or political reasons, I hate the song because it sucks. Compare it to something like WIDBIG, which uses an interesting musical arrangement and great vocal performance (I know it isn't all Art's fault that his voice is gone, so maybe this isn't fair to reference) combined with interesting and thoughtful lyrics to convey the message of the title. If that song was written now it'd have a two chord CHUG CHUG STOP CHUG CHUG STOP riff and the chorus would literally be "This is why I don't believe in God!" I know Art can do better because he has many times in the past. He's a talented dude and to me JWAD is an example of him at his laziest.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Josh,

I don't think that's why people dislike that song. I am a Christian and I believe in Jesus. An overwhelming majority of my Christian friends are conservatives as you would expect. I am not - it's been a while since I've listened to that song because I'm one of those people who don't particularly care for it. But I'm pretty sure I pretty much agree with what Art says in it. I don't think it's an anti-Jesus or anti-Christian song. It's a statement against hypocrisy within the Christian community.

Although I mostly agree with Art politically, I usually don't like his political songs as much.

Alex

Lee Harvey Oswald

Post by Lee Harvey Oswald » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:02 am

I'm thrilled to see everyone so excited for "Jesus was a democrat" LOL. Is everyone seriously gonna skip it on the new record? Wonder if enough people complain about it, Art will make sure end all shows with it.

Can't really compare any colorfinger songs to anything everclear, especially now a days.

Josh Santo

Post by Josh Santo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:49 am

*sometimes it's just fun to play devil's advocate.

clifornia_king

Post by clifornia_king » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:11 am

They played last night in Cleveland. Show rocked pretty hard! Got to say that EC is carrying this tour, and rightfully so. They sounded probably the best I have heard them over the past 10-12 years, both musically and vocally (and that is with the sound system and acoustics of The Agora). They really looked to be all in on the performance which added to the show!

Setlist seemed to be on par:

Intro of Santa Monica (think this was a throwback to the 97-98 SMFTA tour)
El Distorto
Heroin Girl
Father of Mine
The Man Who Broke His Own Heart (sounded pretty good and had the crowd rocking to it)
Wonderful
AM Radio
Everything to Everyone
I Will Buy You A New Life
Classic Rock
Santa Monica

Great show overall. Can't wait for the album to drop! And hope a full tour follows it!
"My girlfriend is like magic in my hands, when I lose my sparkle she's the only one that understands"

"This is where I want to be Now"

Frasbul

Post by Frasbul » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:17 am

Sounds like a great show!

Here is a better recording of TMWBHOH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSae4frnA-s
You suffer from depression, it don't mean that you're sad.

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:38 pm

ndfan1993 wrote:
Rob wrote:Not every piece has to be subtle
It is not subtle....it comes right out and says how awful it is from the first second.
Humorous and harsh, but true.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

tzdtmm

Post by tzdtmm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:20 am

I'm going to ask a stupid question, but the "is anyone else in their 40's getting blind" joke on the acoustic version, what the heck
is that referring too? I love the full band electric version on youtube, bring on that new album. Any other Detroiters miffed Summerland
is making no stop around us?

-John

Lee Harvey Oswald

Post by Lee Harvey Oswald » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 pm

tzdtmm wrote:I'm going to ask a stupid question, but the "is anyone else in their 40's getting blind" joke on the acoustic version, what the heck
is that referring too? I love the full band electric version on youtube, bring on that new album. Any other Detroiters miffed Summerland
is making no stop around us?

-John
I haven't listened to the rest of that recording in years, but I'm just assuming he's referencing himself and his deteriorating vision, I'm sure the bright lights at every show don't help. Then imagine trying to read a set list on the floor after staring at the stage lights, it's no easy task to say the least. So then he makes a joke about it, my guess.

andrewperry1234

Post by andrewperry1234 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:45 am

I would imagine he is referring to gradual his loss of near vision, requiring the use of reading glasses. Most people when they cross over 40 start to not being able to read up close more and more as time goes on.

tzdtmm

Post by tzdtmm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 am

I got ya, I should have guessed that seeing that I wear glasses myself, not sure why that went over my head :roll:

John

Frasbul

Post by Frasbul » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:04 pm

I also wear glasses.

Offtopic: Another version of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj8we97bflg
You suffer from depression, it don't mean that you're sad.

Sea Change

Post by Sea Change » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:13 pm

JWAD was a great song. I'm staying away from The Man Who Broke His Own Heart for now...I don't want to spoil (hopefully) seeing it live in Portland on Tuesday.