BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Anything and everything Everclear.

grantprobst

Re: BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Post by grantprobst » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:33 am

northwestrocker wrote: Also in the review the band posted on Facebook earlier this week the review said 'Complacent' would be a smart choice for a single. I kind of agree with that, the song is pretty much everything Everclear has always been.
Yeah, but we all know Everclear doesn't have the best track record when it comes to picking the singles off of an album.
I mean, I love Volvo Driving Soccer Mom, Hater, etc... but there were far better single choices to choose from.

Though, in this digital day and age, I don't think it matters quite as much as it did back in the "music video" age.

glamdude

Post by glamdude » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:12 am

Actually, the more I listen to this album, the more I like it. :D

Josh Santo

Post by Josh Santo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:37 am

It's nice to hear someone make a straight forward rock album these days. I'm fucking loving this album.

heartspark4ec

Post by heartspark4ec » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 am

I am listening to the full album right now on Pandora... I have to say, I am liking it a lot more than I expected to! (I mean... I expected to enjoy it, but it's really good... and I feel like it's very representative of everclear.

So far, listening to this album at work has been the one saving grace of my work day. :mrgreen:
~*Melissa*~

I wish I could be like all my heros, I wish I could be like all yours too...

Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:00 am

Only listened once, but really loving this album so far, it will take a few more listens though. I haven't been this excited in a long time for a new EC album. A little bummed the tour isn't coming to Portland this summer, I finally moved out here and now the band is hardly ever here lol. Super psyched for the release of the actual album though. Can't wait.
Spongebob is not a contraceptive -(Simpsons)

Flowers the painted whores of the plant world - Homer Simpson

SlowMotionTimmah

Post by SlowMotionTimmah » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 am

Really like the album. At times I feel like it's going a little all over the place, but I have a feeling once I get a few listens in I will be used to it and totally love it.

I am so happy with the direction. I listen mostly to metal and alt-metal bands so the heavier the better for me. This album definitely has an alternative metal vibe to it. I remember Art mentioning he was listening to bands like Seether before recording this.

It's not fair to say "it's the heaviest album since..." because they've never sounded like this. The closest I can compare it would be a more heavier vol 2?

Anyways, so glad it's finally here. Now... wasn't there supposed to be some b-sides or bonus tracks somewhere? :D

PS - What was the original Death Song from or cut from? I forget it..
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis

heartspark4ec

Post by heartspark4ec » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 am

Per Eric's Wisdom:
ekeown wrote:I emailed Art about the song this morning. I asked him the following
Eric Keown wrote:Last week someone uploaded an unreleased Everclear track titled "This Is your Death Song" to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4sZUw3hkE

The only information they've included about the recording was "Recorded for So Much for the Afterglow but never released. Mixed by Brian Malouf." Can you fill in any details about the song?
Here is what he said about This Is Your Death Song
Art Alexakis wrote:this "song" was an idea....not a real song
it's a demo from around that time but not from those sessions
and brian did not mix it to the best of my knowledge
but it could have been a rough board mix
Original thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4261&start=0
~*Melissa*~

I wish I could be like all my heros, I wish I could be like all yours too...

SlowMotionTimmah

Post by SlowMotionTimmah » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Was it uploaded along with the other Pure White Evil tracks last year? Last year. Holy shit. I just looked up that thread and it was from 2011. Where does the time go??
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis

Frasbul

Post by Frasbul » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:23 pm

SlowMotionTimmah wrote:Was it uploaded along with the other Pure White Evil tracks last year? Last year. Holy shit. I just looked up that thread and it was from 2011. Where does the time go??
It leaked a couple of months before that. But it was uploaded again with the PWE tracks.

About the album: I don't want to spoil the experience so I'm waiting. I can't access Pandora from Germany anyway.
You suffer from depression, it don't mean that you're sad.

Paxil Rose

Post by Paxil Rose » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:58 pm

this album has brought me out of the shadows... I am thoroughly impressed with it.... that is all for now :P
(insert signature here)

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm

A lot of people really like Complacent, I got to hear the album last December and there is a line in the song that really stands out in my mind. After mentioning his kids he sings "move down the street and be a man", Art told me that this was something that his Mom used to say in reference to his Dad. I'm paraphrasing, but she would say something to the effect of "a real man doesn't move across the country, a real man moves down the street and raises his kids".

To me song fits with the new album, but I would easily believe Complacent was an old unreleased song that got reworked for the album (like This Is Your Death Song) there is a sound and a style to it that really seems to fit in with past albums.

So now that we have the album... who is ready for b-sides?
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

Raptorbite

Post by Raptorbite » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

I also think that complacent could fit right in with S&F and Afterglow materiel. Is there really any known B-sides? Too soon to be asking such things lol. I have a very different feeling after hearing this album than I did with Invisible Stars. IS left me thinking, yeah, that was a solid album, If this was the last EC Album, at least they ended on a positive note. With BITNB, im thinking, this is so fucking great I can't stand to think about there not being more. Its making me feel greedy... and that's a very good thing. Also, huge props for Pretty Bomb as well...
Man..... I really need na better Sig.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:11 am

Eric, thanks for sharing that. I didn't really know what that line meant, so thanks for the background info.

I really enjoy listening to this album. I like the rock. Like on Invisible Stars, there are a few songs that sound like rewrites of songs from Vol. 2 and Slowmotion Daydream.

This is the sound that might have kept Everclear more relevant in the early 2000s. I'm really impressed with the riffs and chord progressions. Agreeing with Timmah, they've never sounded like this before with the metal guitars. To me, it's the biggest progression of style from one album to a next or probably from any previous Everclear album to this one. Some of the riffs and chord progressions are slightly reminiscent of some stuff from the first 2 albums or even Colorfinger. But that was a really long time ago, so it's pretty surprising for this to be somewhat similar, but even more aggressive than some of those old songs. Most of all, I think the album really benefited from co-producers who are experienced in this sound. It's a big, tight sound.

Alex

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:20 am

It's been a while since we've heard a sequence as powerful as the 'show me" breakdown on 'Simple and Plain'. It reminds me a lot of 'California King' breakdown ("I will find you in a crowded room..."), which to me was always a powerful moment in EC's "history" so to speak.

Oh and I'm pretty sure after Art yells "everything sucks!" on 'Death Song' my brain comes close to melting. I'm not sure I've ever felt that much octane in an EC song.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

Frasbul

Post by Frasbul » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 pm

how do you guys think it will do commercially? a lot of people seem to like it so far, but I also get the impression that the album isn't being promoted too well.
You suffer from depression, it don't mean that you're sad.