BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Anything and everything Everclear.

yourstupidgame

Re: BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Post by yourstupidgame » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

I hope they get whatever success they're hoping to get with this. Maybe have a charting single on the mainstream rock or alternative charts? More sales than Invisible Stars? I'm not sure what the goal might be. I think they held back the album for nearly a year specifically for a strategic marketing plan, so I hope it works. I'm assuming a proper music video will be out soon and perhaps a TV performance. They'd have to do that within the next week or wait till the Australia / New Zealand tour is over. They might be waiting until right before Summerland starts.

Alex

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:17 pm

heartspark4ec wrote:Per Eric's Wisdom:
ekeown wrote:I emailed Art about the song this morning. I asked him the following
Eric Keown wrote:Last week someone uploaded an unreleased Everclear track titled "This Is your Death Song" to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4sZUw3hkE

The only information they've included about the recording was "Recorded for So Much for the Afterglow but never released. Mixed by Brian Malouf." Can you fill in any details about the song?
Here is what he said about This Is Your Death Song
Art Alexakis wrote:this "song" was an idea....not a real song
it's a demo from around that time but not from those sessions
and brian did not mix it to the best of my knowledge
but it could have been a rough board mix
Original thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4261&start=0
Just to peek my head in - Art was wrong here. Later in that thread, I posted a picture that was taken during the PWE/SMFTA sessions - "Death Song" was the second song on the list of songs. It was definitely recorded for PWE/SMFTA. (It was also on the list of tracks that Greg posted to the original White Lighting mailing list as they were working on the album.) There is the open question of whether Malouf mixed it (though it sounds like it to me) - the uploader told me that the source of that one song was a disc that had "Brian Malouf 6/97" written on it, so I guess they assumed he mixed it.

This album has kind of a Vol 2 crossed with SMD kind of vibe. Admittedly, my first thought was that the whole thing had a little bit of a Tri-Polar vibe.

SlowMotionTimmah

Post by SlowMotionTimmah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:53 pm

Has there been any confirmation of bsides or if they'll see the light of day?
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 pm

Art said on the Pledge update that the band is rehearsing Sparkle and Fade and new songs this weekend. If you have requests, you might want to send a Facebook message or tweet. Not sure if it would do anything, but I really hope they play more than just the single on the Australian tour. I think they should do 2 new ones even on a short Summerland set, but 3 or 4 on normal concerts.

My top picks for the new songs to be played live are:
The Man Who Broke His Own Heart
American Monster
This is Your Death Song
Sugar Noise

I also think they could pull off Pretty Bomb or Complacent.

Alex

blasman

Post by blasman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:00 am

I am currently listening to the Pandora stream... I'm digging this album. Songs that have have stood out for me so far are COMPLACENT, YOU and ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN IS. I like the whole vibe with this album on first listen! VAN GOGH SUN is really cool ... great drum work. The production is better than anything they've released since SFAAM Vol. 1. This album feels like it could have been released after that album. Invisible Stars was a great album as well. More of a mature sound rather than a straight pop rocker like BLACK. I really hope it gets radio play at least on XM Radio ... That's where they should do some interviews. Like a take over of LITHIUM. that would work great. Scott Weiland did it for his latest release BLASTER.

SlowMotionTimmah

Post by SlowMotionTimmah » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 am

Has Lithium played the singles at all? I'm surprised with as much of an online push the label has made for this record there's been no mention of promoting on at least XM or asking people to request it on Lithium. This could have helped sales at least a little.

Art mentioned in a pledge music update that Simple and Plain was co-written by Chris Taylor Brown of Trapt. Apparently him and Art are friends. I didn't know that. I like Trapt.

Still listening to the album over and over on Pandora. Love love love it. Safe is really great right now. It's not like anything else they've done. And damn is Sean poppin off on that track. Get it kid.
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:02 am

Got my download link from Pledge.

abw123

Post by abw123 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:09 am

Man, Art wasn't kidding about the heavy guitars. This thing just pummels you the whole way through. I really, really liked it on first listen. Reminds me more of When it Goes Wrong Again overall than anything off Sparkle and Fade though.

Random comments:
Complacent, You, Van Gogh Sun, and Safe stood out to me

This is Your Death Song guitars remind me in spots of Happy Hour

Pretty Bomb in certain spots reminded me of Heroin Girl

Frasbul

Post by Frasbul » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 pm

So I finally listened to the album now. Twice. And I really like it. I love love love the guitars of "Sugar Noise". And "Van Gogh Sun" does relate to me a lot right now.
"Safe" is kinda cool too. I actually think "The Man Who.." is the weakest song of the album, but I never understood the love for "Almost Instant Karma" anyway.
And I like the original version of "Death Song" better.

Still, great album!
You suffer from depression, it don't mean that you're sad.

andrewperry1234

Post by andrewperry1234 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Anyone have the physical copy yet?

If so can you take pictures of the artwork and booklet?

Thanks

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:34 pm

I have listened to it a couple of times and just am not really feeling it. I feel that many of the songs are close to being good but just lack IT. I did enjoy VGS a lot and S&P but other than that I thought some of the songs were just bad (specifically You) . My feelings on the three I had previously heard (AM, TMWBHOH, SN) have not changed so I was just really listening at the other 9 I hadn't heard. Overall the album as a whole is not bad but not in the top tier of Everclear albums in my opinion, not making my top 5 also means you have been relevant for a LONG time and put out a bunch of stuff. The one really neat thing was hearing the effect of nearly 20 years on This Is Your Death Song.

PureWhiteEvil

Post by PureWhiteEvil » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 am

What a kick-ass album!
I'll be honest, it's much better than I thought it would be. Even when I heard some of the songs through PledgeMusic, I had my doubts. Just a kick-ass album.
Good for you, Everclear. I look forward to seeing you at Summerland.
Anyone else going to the Irving Plaza NYC Summerland show? I've seen Fuel once or twice. Good show. Toadies and Hi-Fi, I'm not that familiar with other than one or two songs from early in their careers.
"Tell me, do you feel it, too?
The way I feel when I am blue?
Do you feel it? 'Cause I can feel it still
You cut me into pieces
Said, you cut me into pieces
And now I wished I'd never let you in!"
~ Brad! The Musical

abw123

Post by abw123 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Toadies are great great great live. Fuel has good tunes but like Art, Bret can't really sing all that well anymore.

Toadies will be the most polished of the 3 and they rock HARD.

meerko

Post by meerko » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:14 am

Hi All,

I've been checking the forum on a regular basis, but it's been a while since I last posted here.

I think I can speak for all Everclear fans in Poland (of whom there are about 8 in total): Black is the New Black is exactly what we were expecting.
It did not grab me by the crotch at first, but as soon as I played the album through my car audio I was totally hooked. On a side note, how is it that a Saab car audio can blow the socks off of a 5.1 Logitech entertainment system?
But I digress. Earlier this morning I was driving my fiancé to work. She's been an Everclear fan since Father of Mine. Anyway, when The Man Who Broke His Own Heart came on, she said: "Wow, this sounds pretty heavy for them."
If that's not a compliment, I don't know what is.

Off the top of my head, my favourites at the moment are: Complacent, American Monster, Pretty Bomb and Anything Is Better Than This.

My best regards and thanks to Eric and all of you for keeping this site alive.
Also, Art, if you're reading this, I hope Everclear come to Europe again :-)

Cheers!
Mirko
Never trust a man who does not sweat.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Nice to hear from you, Mirko! I agree - I just love listening to it in the car turned up! Before, you would listen to Everclear for the lyrics and Art's distinctive melodies and voice. But now you might listen to Everclear because they have one of the best guitar and drum sounds out there now (and pretty catchy riffs). It's just another thing that catches your ear.

Alex