BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Anything and everything Everclear.

Deano

Re: BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK

Post by Deano » Sat May 16, 2015 1:12 pm

...did any of you Pledgers download the acoustic version of 'The Man Who Broke His Own Heart' that they recently offered? It's pretty good, and I think it's more powerful lyrically this way. Wish there was more additional recordings...the whole album acoustic like this would be an amazing extra for fans who pledged in advance...

Copper

Post by Copper » Sat May 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Listened to the new album a couple times on Spotify. Can't really remember how much of it goes.

As for rankings:

1. Sparkle and Fade
2. LHTS/Afterglow
3. World of Noise
4. Drama Club
5. GTFABA
6. SMD
7. Invisible Stars
8. BITNB

I actually like Drama Club a lot. I like that he isn't trying to sound like the "traditional Everclear sound", which I think to a lot of people really means trying to sound like Afterglow. My biggest problems with SMD and IS is that they both seem like attempts at redoing Afterglow. Drama Club has a nice mellower sound to it. And aside from Hater the lyrics are pretty enjoyable on it, although even with the shitty lyrics Hater is still pretty catchy and enjoyable. I honestly find myself going back to Drama Club more often than any other post-LHTS album and would be very interested in seeing Art exploring more of that type of calmer, more thoughtful music.

heartspark4ec

Post by heartspark4ec » Mon May 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Jumping on the ranking bus...

1. Sparkle and Fade
2. World of Noise
3. So Much for the Afterglow
4. Learning How to Smile
5. Welcome to the Drama Club
6. Good Time For a Bad Attitude
7. Black Is the New Black
8. Slow Motion Daydream
9. Invisible Stars

That was actually a LOT harder to rank than I thought it would be. I mean... there are parts about all of them I LOVE. And certain songs on certain albums (*coughgoodwitchofthenorthcough*) made me feel bad to rank some of the albums where I did but... all over quality and interest plays a part. All in all it's like trying to pick between thin mints and samoas. You gotta pick one, but they're both freaking delicious.

BITNB honestly really surprised me. I think my mind had just built up the idea that I wasn't going to like it very much that when I heard it I thought, "Oh wow, this is better than I expected!" I think hearing MWBHOH live really helped too. It's a very high energy song when played live, and it was nice.
~*Melissa*~

I wish I could be like all my heros, I wish I could be like all yours too...

kmk182

Post by kmk182 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Has anyone actually gotten pledge items yet? I just ordered the cd and haven't gotten it.

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:41 am

kmk182 wrote:Has anyone actually gotten pledge items yet? I just ordered the cd and haven't gotten it.
Nope, still nothing.

SlowMotionTimmah

Post by SlowMotionTimmah » Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 am

Is the acoustic version downloadable? I listened to it on there, but I didn't try to download it..

You guys aren't going to believe this, but I'm ready to go public. Black is the New Black is now my favorite Everclear album. Boom.

1. BITNB
2. S&F
3. SMFTAG
4. WON
5. vol 2
6. IS
7. SMD
8. Vol 1
9. WTTDC

Some of these are interchangeable in the rankings, but that's where I'm at.
"I think in all my songs, even though they seem depressing and dark, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a long ass tunnel, but there's a definitely a light." - Art Alexakis

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 am

Deano wrote:...did any of you Pledgers download the acoustic version of 'The Man Who Broke His Own Heart' that they recently offered? It's pretty good, and I think it's more powerful lyrically this way. Wish there was more additional recordings...the whole album acoustic like this would be an amazing extra for fans who pledged in advance...
I have, Deano. My favorite version might still be the several year old live version of Almost Instant Karma. Not sure, but I definitely like this new one and would love the whole CD being recorded like this.

Actually, I hope the next release is "Arthur" and sounds like a mix of this acoustic download and Closure, with all new songs

Sea Change

Post by Sea Change » Thu May 21, 2015 6:50 pm

I finally got a shipping confirmation email from Pledge, so hopefully my signed CD will be here in a few days. After paying so much and having to wait nearly a month, I won't be dealing with them again.

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:35 am

Since all the cool kids are doing it:

1. SMFTAG
2. S&F
3. IS
4. Vol 2
5. Vol 1
6. SMD
7. BITNB
8. WON
9. WTTDC

Deano

Post by Deano » Fri May 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Rob wrote:
Deano wrote:...did any of you Pledgers download the acoustic version of 'The Man Who Broke His Own Heart' that they recently offered? It's pretty good, and I think it's more powerful lyrically this way. Wish there was more additional recordings...the whole album acoustic like this would be an amazing extra for fans who pledged in advance...
I have, Deano. My favorite version might still be the several year old live version of Almost Instant Karma. Not sure, but I definitely like this new one and would love the whole CD being recorded like this.

Actually, I hope the next release is "Arthur" and sounds like a mix of this acoustic download and Closure, with all new songs
I haven't heard the old demo, is it available on here somewhere?

I'd like to hear the pre-everclear version of 'Arthur'. I love volume 1 but it feels disjointed/unfinis
unfinished to me, like it needs a couple of extra songs...was anything left on the cutting room floor?

Sea Change

Post by Sea Change » Sun May 24, 2015 6:04 pm

I finally got my autographed physical copy in the mail! Look for "Spencer Montoya" in the Pledge Music Thank You section...that's me! :mrgreen:

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Mon May 25, 2015 11:32 am

Any word on TV appearances or a music video? Seems odd, the level of promotion for BITNB compared to Invisible Stars. Maybe Art is wanting to do more promotion this summer in unison with Summerland?
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

clifornia_king

Post by clifornia_king » Mon May 25, 2015 7:41 pm

northwestrocker wrote:Any word on TV appearances or a music video? Seems odd, the level of promotion for BITNB compared to Invisible Stars. Maybe Art is wanting to do more promotion this summer in unison with Summerland?
Haven't seen much on it outside I pages I follow or EC shares on Social Media. I feel like the lead up was much more promotional than IS, but that may have to do with the Pledge campaign, and it sounds like they aren't really executing on the basic items for delivery, which is a bummer.

Would love to see them on a TV spot to kick off Summerland - the tour is legit, and hopefully, they can keep it in the front of fan's minds and capitalize on a great album.
"My girlfriend is like magic in my hands, when I lose my sparkle she's the only one that understands"

"This is where I want to be Now"

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Mon May 25, 2015 9:05 pm

I think TV commercials would vary by city and promoter. Just depends on what they decide to do.

I've been checking the two local rock radio station websites. I just checked again right now, and finally one of them has the concert listed on their calendar. The radio station is "sponsoring" it or whatever. I was worried that no one would know about the concert unless they were hardcore followers of the bands, but maybe now they'll start talking about it. I'm glad they're coming to my hometown, but I'm a little worried about the turnout, unless the radio station starts promoting it hardcore. (For years, this radio station has only played Father of Mine and Santa Monica in their playlist, and now they're just down to Father of Mine. They don't seem to be playing a whole lot of Toadies or Fuel, either.) We have a new one month old baby here, so I don't even know if we can go (we haven't bought tickets), but maybe.

Alex

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue May 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Deano wrote:
Rob wrote:

I haven't heard the old demo, is it available on here somewhere?

I'd like to hear the pre-everclear version of 'Arthur'. I love volume 1 but it feels disjointed/unfinis
unfinished to me, like it needs a couple of extra songs...was anything left on the cutting room floor?
It was on here as part of the "Sparkle - Rarities Remastered!" package.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4318&p=66588&hilit= ... red#p65950
Grantprobst uploladed it and then reuploaded it back in 2011. I'm not sure where you can find it now. Would you like me to email it to you?