SMFTA
Everything to Everyone
Father of Mine
Wonderful
AM Radio
I Will Buy You a New Life
Santa Monica

A few days late here.

The set was shortened because during LIT's second song the power went out. This was the second time I've seen them. The last was also at the same place ten years ago and the Art's voice sounded grainy and off so when I heard him this time I was pleasantly surprised because he sounded much better.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

ndfan1993

Re: 9/4 Naperville, IL

Post by ndfan1993 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:32 am

Any recordings or pics?

How were the other bands - sans power outage?

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:09 pm

I took one picture and since I was so far back I honestly can't say whether or not it was Everclear.

Sponge played 4 or 5 songs, but I've never really listened to them so I have no idea what they played. Their energy was good.

Lit's second song was Miserable which got cut off. Again, lots of energy and they sounded good. They kept playing even with the power off. They then replayed Own Worst Enemy with power.

The last band was Sugar Ray. They sounded the closest to their albums and one guitarist had his birthday apparantly. They played all of their well known songs and Mark talked a lot between them.

I was definitely satisfied with all of the acts.

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:29 am

worldofnoise wrote:I took one picture and since I was so far back I honestly can't say whether or not it was Everclear.

Sponge played 4 or 5 songs, but I've never really listened to them so I have no idea what they played. Their energy was good.

Lit's second song was Miserable which got cut off. Again, lots of energy and they sounded good. They kept playing even with the power off. They then replayed Own Worst Enemy with power.

The last band was Sugar Ray. They sounded the closest to their albums and one guitarist had his birthday apparantly. They played all of their well known songs and Mark talked a lot between them.

I was definitely satisfied with all of the acts.
Awesome, sounds like a fun time!

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:42 am

It certainly was enjoyable. Hopefully next time there aren't any problems!

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:47 pm

worldofnoise wrote: The last band was Sugar Ray. They sounded the closest to their albums and one guitarist had his birthday apparantly. They played all of their well known songs and Mark talked a lot between them.
Ok, let's talk about this. Was it the bass player? And did he say that he wrote the song "Unbelievable" so they would play it for his birthday? That's what they said at my show in San Antonio. I really thought it was his birthday, but a little less sure about him having written that song. Then I saw some other videos of them doing the same thing. It was a total lie! I just thought that was a bizarre bit. I think a lot of people believed it was true. Other Summerland attendees - did he do this bit? Did you believe it or was it more obvious that it was all a "joke"?

I thought it was kinda sad that Mark McGrath talked so much. There was 3, 4 or 5 minutes of talking between most songs. I thought it was ridiculous, especially for a headliner. When you consider the amount of covers they did in 2012 and 2016, combined with all that talking, its obvious he's not so confident in his own music.

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:50 am

I don't remember what he was playing, but he had long black hair and Mark said he was Australian or Austrian. The guy didn't seem to have a foreign accent though. Mark did say he wrote Unbelievable and then proceeded to sing it. Mark did not hint at it being a joke and neither did anyone else.

The only thing that, to me, would even remotely suggest a lack of confidence was when he said something along the lines of how it was bad to name their last hit single When It's Over.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Yep, that was him. The bass player from Australia. I picked up on a slight accent only after he had been talking for a while. I mean, he didn't write that song, right? Was he in the group EMF like 25 years ago? Is he that old? Somebody, set us straight.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Wait, wait, wait! Wait a minute! I still think it's weird because a lot of people believed him. But the whole point is that the song is "Unbelievable" so he tells a bunch of lies which aren't to be believed. But he lies too well so people miss the gag. Two months later, I figured it out. Wow!

I searched for "Sugar Ray Unbelievable" on YouTube and the first video's description says "At the Under The Sun Tour, Sugar Ray played Unbelievable, which his guitar player wrote when he was just 12 years old. Enjoy!" So either that person also believed it, or they're perpetuating the joke. Then somehow, it just hit me. Not sure if the "joke" was too stupid or too clever. I can just imagine Mark McGrath explaining to his bandmates. They're like "why are you saying it's his birthday? Why are you saying he wrote it? Wouldn't he have been like 10 years old? It doesn't make any sense." Mark: "No, it will work great! I'm telling a bunch of lies because we're doing "Unbelievable." Get it?! Haha, great joke!"

Ok, so out of all the Summerland attendees, did you get this? Be honest!

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:03 pm

When I searched for Sugar Ray and some key words about him it gave me a name, but that name is not on Wikipedia. Wikipedia doea list the writer of Unbelievable as EMF so if I found a wrong name and he was in the band then I guess he has writing credits?

I just saw your latest post. I do get it, but I'm not a fan of when bands do stuff like that.