Another excellent show - Elgin, IL 10/1/2016

Anything and everything Everclear.

everArt

Another excellent show - Elgin, IL 10/1/2016

Post by everArt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:36 pm

I feel so lucky to have been able to see Saturday night's show in Elgin. I was at the Naperville show last month and while it was good, it was so disappointing that their set got cut so very much by technical difficulties. Saturday was just Everclear and Vertical Horizon. The crowd was really into it and so was Everclear! Here's the set list, not including their heavy metal medleys...

So Much for the Afterglow
Everything to Everyone
Father of Mine
Heroin Girl
You Make Me Feel Like A Whore
The Man Who Broke His Own Heart
Amphetamine
Song From An American Movie, Part 1
Strawberry
AM Radio
Wonderful
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom
I Will Buy You A New Life
Heartspark Dollarsign
Santa Monica

What?!?!? Yeah, like I said...very lucky! And tickets were only $15! They were full of energy, no messed up lyrics, no short cuts...one of the best of their shows I've seen, not including the Sparkle and Fade anniversary show. Art was his usual gracious self afterwards and came out for autographs and photos. Funniest moment: there was a guy right behind me who seemed to be really into them...knew all the lyrics, etc... Then he yelled out, "I love you Alex!" Who???? LOL!
I have made it through bruised and scarred and half alive.

ekeown
Site Admin

Re: Another excellent show - Elgin, IL 10/1/2016

Post by ekeown » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:00 am

That's great! I'm glad you got to see them again especially since last time had issues.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:24 am

Sounds like a good time!

worldofnoise

Post by worldofnoise » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:33 am

That's a nice setlist. I hadn't even paid attention to any other shows around here. It sounds like it was pretty good!
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

everArt

Post by everArt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:00 pm

worldofnoise wrote:That's a nice setlist. I hadn't even paid attention to any other shows around here. It sounds like it was pretty good!
I'm pretty sure it was announced only a couple of weeks before. I'll try to reach out to you next time I become aware of a local show :D
I have made it through bruised and scarred and half alive.

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Glad you had a good time! They definitely sound pretty good these days, at least on YouTube. It's nice that they've set into what seems to be a pretty permanent lineup, too.

I will say that it bums me out how little they change up the set lists. I saw them in 2011 and the only difference between the set list then and this set list is I got White Men in Black Suits instead of the new song. I know every Summerland they've subbed out an old album cut here and there like Twistinside and Normal Like You, but I just can't understand why they've essentially played the same album cuts for five+ years at every non-Summerland headline show. They obviously know all of Sparkle and Fade from the tour, and most of SMFTA. Come on Art, swap out Heartspark for Pale Green Stars or VDSM for Nehalem every now and then. Live a little!

Rambling aside, I'm glad you had fun and I'll have to catch them the next time they're in town.

Copper

Post by Copper » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm definitely puzzled by VDSM continuing to be a set staple 13 years later since it wasn't a hit or anything and I've never seen anyone express any particular appreciation for it.

Just Art being stubborn since he thought it'd be a hit?

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:15 pm

I thought Art didn't think it was going to be a hit and instead was behind NYT...Capitol pushed it. It is his "newest" true "hit."

northwestrocker

Post by northwestrocker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:46 pm

ndfan1993 wrote:I thought Art didn't think it was going to be a hit and instead was behind NYT...Capitol pushed it. It is his "newest" true "hit."
It is actually the opposite. Capitol thought NYT should have been the single to push especially post-9/11 but Art was adamant with VDSM. Capitol relented and didn't give SMD much of any push after that. I've heard Art say several times in interviews that VDSM was one of the "best performing" songs ever with test audiences before the album release and I think he really had that song chosen as the single in his vision for the album from day 1.
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

Chris B

Post by Chris B » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:42 pm

I know I haven't necessarily been around Everclear fans as much in the modern era, but I genuinely think there's a newer audience in there somewhere that actually likes VDSM and expects it to be played. I'm having a hard time putting it into words without coming off as a little bit condescending, and I really don't feel that way. But I don't know if it's that they simply think it's catchy or if they identify with it somehow.

ekeown
Site Admin

Post by ekeown » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Chris B wrote:I'm having a hard time putting it into words without coming off as a little bit condescending, and I really don't feel that way. But I don't know if it's that they simply think it's catchy or if they identify with it somehow.
Whatever Chris, we all know you used to be a bad girl.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 am

northwestrocker wrote:
ndfan1993 wrote:I thought Art didn't think it was going to be a hit and instead was behind NYT...Capitol pushed it. It is his "newest" true "hit."
It is actually the opposite. Capitol thought NYT should have been the single to push especially post-9/11 but Art was adamant with VDSM. Capitol relented and didn't give SMD much of any push after that. I've heard Art say several times in interviews that VDSM was one of the "best performing" songs ever with test audiences before the album release and I think he really had that song chosen as the single in his vision for the album from day 1.
Yeah, I mixed up my thought process - getting older with my first kid on the way will do that to your brain.