Summerland 2017

Anything and everything Everclear.

kmk182

Summerland 2017

Post by kmk182 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Saw the band did a show with Tonic and XEB (Third Eye Blind without Stephen Jenkins basically). Made me think of what we'd expect for 2017. I think it would be cool to see those bands. Also with Letters to Cleo back I'd like to see them on the bill. What's everyone else want to see?

worldofnoise

Re: Summerland 2017

Post by worldofnoise » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:43 am

How big of a band do you think they could/would get to join? I'd like to see some bigger names.
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:20 am

worldofnoise wrote:How big of a band do you think they could/would get to join? I'd like to see some bigger names.
Funny, I was actually thinking about this today. I've been on a bit of a Weezer kick lately and was wondering if they (or one of the few 90's bands that was able to keep evolving to avoid the nostalgia thing that Everclear unfortunately have mostly become) would ever do Summerland, as a headliner of course.

Lee Harvey Oswald

Post by Lee Harvey Oswald » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:44 am

Logically lots of these bands are stupid expensive and would not fit the summerland tour as being affordable. Weezer is a good example of this, so it Third Eye Blind.

Fastball and Vertical Horizon for the SMFTA 20th tour it seems, maybe they will do summerland too, and just tour all year...

I'm not really looking for bigger bands, it's a everclear show, I want the focus on them, I wanna see a 2 hour everclear set, and a couple other opener bands at most.

Bigger bands like sugar ray for example had everclear play a much shorter set like 40 minutes, way too short, I don't want that for next year, I want them to headline, play a longer set.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:24 am

Lee Harvey Oswald wrote:Logically lots of these bands are stupid expensive and would not fit the summerland tour as being affordable. Weezer is a good example of this, so it Third Eye Blind.

Fastball and Vertical Horizon for the SMFTA 20th tour it seems, maybe they will do summerland too, and just tour all year...

I'm not really looking for bigger bands, it's a everclear show, I want the focus on them, I wanna see a 2 hour everclear set, and a couple other opener bands at most.

Bigger bands like sugar ray for example had everclear play a much shorter set like 40 minutes, way too short, I don't want that for next year, I want them to headline, play a longer set.
Agree that it would be amazing to see EC play a 2 hour set, but....when was the last time they did that? Not counting the S&F 20 tour, they've been playing the same 15 song headline set since like 2009. I wouldn't hold your breath hoping for a long EC show. Even with EC headlining, Summerland has always been short sets, and I think that's intentional, since Art likes to talk about "the hits".

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm really not sure which direction Summerland could go in for 2017. 2015 had Fuel which was number one on my Summerland wishlist. Toadies was a good pick too, even though I couldn't stay for their set (headlined in San Antonio). 2016 was a best of Summerland lineup. How many other bands are there? Better Than Ezra and Blues Traveler are lighter picks. (Better Than Ezra was very entertaining when I saw them two years ago). More bands along the lines of Filter and Sponge are Candlebox and Local H, at least in my mind. Don't know if they're still around. The Nixons? Wheatus? Bowling for Soup? IDK, just throwing out names. Sure, we love Weezer and Third Eye Blind, but Weezer is doing their own thing. I think Third Eye Blind is a possibility, though. My 1997 - 1998 pop-rock loving self would love Semisonic, Fastball, Everclear and even let Third Eye Blind headline.

Alex

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Bowling For Soup! That's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Would be a lot of fun, although I lump them in with early 00s poppier pop-punk (like the Ataris).

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 am

Weezer is too big...3EB (Stephen Jenkins) THINKS they are too big...

Would love: Semisonic, Fastball, Everclear

It would be 1997 all over again.

yourstupidgame

Post by yourstupidgame » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:36 pm

ndfan1993 wrote:Weezer is too big...3EB (Stephen Jenkins) THINKS they are too big...

Would love: Semisonic, Fastball, Everclear

It would be 1997 all over again.
LOL at 3EB - yes!

Yeah, I've never seen Fastball or Semisonic and I love both of their first two albums at least. Some of Fastball's third album is good, too and I liked Dan Wilson's '07 solo album. Fastball is just down the road in Austin, so I could go see them and sometimes they're here I think, but it's never worked out, apart from Miles Zuniga solo acoustic opening for Gin Blossoms. Semisonic rarely gets together and doesn't really do touring, but I wonder if Summerland would be attractive to them.
Steve wrote:Bowling For Soup! That's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Would be a lot of fun, although I lump them in with early 00s poppier pop-punk (like the Ataris).
Yeah, I was thinking back to when they did Fuel and American Hi-Fi, so it seems that early 00s bands are at least in the conversation. Along those lines, how 'bout Sum 41? But I really prefer the 90s. Never owned a Bowling for Soup of Sum 41 CD.

ndfan1993

Post by ndfan1993 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 am

Warped Tour is doing a throwback cruise to the early 2000's so that might help awaken some of these other bands to do something with the Summerland tour.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:21 pm

yourstupidgame wrote:
ndfan1993 wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking back to when they did Fuel and American Hi-Fi, so it seems that early 00s bands are at least in the conversation. Along those lines, how 'bout Sum 41? But I really prefer the 90s. Never owned a Bowling for Soup of Sum 41 CD.
Sum 41 surprisingly stayed relevant and are actually pretty popular. I mean, they haven't put out a good record since 2005, but they kept doing pretty big tours, even if their records were getting poorly reviewed. The market they appeal to is too different from EC/90s bands for them to do Summerland, I'm sure, but I would greatly enjoy if they combined some early 00s pop punk with EC for Summerland.