07/02/04 - Atlanta, GA

Anything and everything Everclear.

Chris_B
Site Admin

Post by Chris_B » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:43 pm

BigMike wrote:Rudolph is in jail (finally) and this time we're reasonably sure we got the right guy. I wouldn't worry so much about the bombing thing...
True, but I was thinking more in the "pain-in-the-ass security" department. They didn't pat me down last year, but I have a feeling if I took my equipment, I wouldn't be so lucky. (And, unfortunately, if I take the equipment and can't get in, my only real option is to turn around, walk back to the subway, and go home.)

Hey, look, it's almost 7:00pm - I should probably leave.

Chris_B
Site Admin

Post by Chris_B » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:05 am

Show report.

Okay, I'll admit to the same mondo-bizarro weirdness that others have expressed. It's really weird seeing different guys playing with Art.

At first, I thought the new bass player was singing the backing vox off-key. Then I realized that it was just the guy behind me that couldn't hit a note to save his life. Actually, Dave and Sam's backing vocals are solid, probably the most noteworthy thing about the new guys. Strangely, the backing vox were especially good on "This Land Is Your Land", even if that song is just flat out bizarre. (It sounds like an Everclear song in a "Santa Monica"-strum kind of way, until you realize what song it is.)

One notable thing - most of the songs were a good bit slower than previous live shows. (Possibly even than the studio versions.) That, however, didn't stop a major mosh pit from kicking into gear during a half-speed "groove" version of "Heroin Girl". You'd think you were at a punk rock show the way those goofballs were circling and slamming. And I'm 100% serious - they even moshed during "This Land Is Your Land", which MUST be a first in the long history of that song. (This one dude with a mohawk sailed into the security pit at least twice, and acted like it was greatest thing ever.)

The ladies love Dave (new guitar player). No doubt about it.

It was a solid size audience - a solid number of people singing all of the songs. If I had to guess, I'd say there were more people there last year, but it was still a pretty good size crowd. (Admittedly, there was a Braves game running simultaneously - the post-game fireworks were going off as we left.)

On the whole - I'm not really sold on the slower versions of the songs. And I felt like they weren't quite to "perfect" yet. But it was hard to say how much of that was inexperience with the songs, the light tour schedule, or because of technical difficulties. (Their set started a good bit late because of the problems. I'll add: a good thing I didn't take my recorder, even if I could have walked in with it in my pocket. The mix was off a lot of the time.) The guys don't yet know the songs well enough to cover for when Art misses a lyric. ;)

I didn't think much of "Glorious", but I'll admit that I have intentionally not listened to the solo MP3, so it was almost totally new to me. The sound problems (maybe?) made it sound generic, but I'll reserve judgement for the studio version (which Art apparently still hopes will be released later this year).

Oh, they had a new keyboard player. My notecard says "Josh Crawley". This was his first show, and I could tell before Art noted it. (Josh had that tentative "looking around to make sure I'm doing the right thing" look on his face for most of the show.)

The notecard also says:

Song from an American Movie, Pt 1 [Art solo] / Wonderful / Heroin Girl / Heartspark Dollarsign / Loser Makes Good / Strawberry [Art solo] / Brown Eyed Girl [Art solo] / Glorious / Volvo Driving Soccer Mom / Father of Mine / I Will Buy You a New Life // Everything to Everyone / This Land Is Your Land / Santa Monica

It would be hard (and probably unfair) for me to compare this show to the other Everclear shows I've seen. I had a good time, but I felt like I was out of sorts the whole show. It doesn't help that the show at the same venue last year was the beginning of a phenomenal weekend, so I had that on my mind most of the night. But I'll admit it was nice seeing the people around me having a great time enjoying Everclear.

everclear311

Post by everclear311 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:52 am

I do not see how anyone could mosh to the new style of everclear concerts, it must have been forced. when i was in wisconson this 14 year old ish kid tried to mosh but almost got in a fist fight with a 40 year old because the kid knocked the old mans beer all over. also if you are using the excuse that the crows could have been bigger if there wasnt a braves game, then you dont know baseball. the braves have a tough time selling out their playoff games. Everclear shows are going to get less and less of a crowd because people are going to see the same 13-16 songs played over and over. Everclear really need to change their set lists when they play different cities or even differeent tours. I cannot see how anyone could have an awesome time following them on tour.

everelizabeth

Post by everelizabeth » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:49 am

Chris B wrote:Show report.

Okay, I'll admit to the same mondo-bizarro weirdness that others have expressed. It's really weird seeing different guys playing with Art.
So it wasn't just me who felt the "mondo-bizarro weirdness". It was like being stuck in some sort of time warp or something. You know I'm here but I'm not really here because something isn't quite right kind of thing. :?
Chris B wrote:The ladies love Dave (new guitar player). No doubt about it.
Agreed.

So Chris, did ya get to talk to Art. Does he seem like he's in a pretty decent mood now and most importantly did he dye his hair back to blonde?????(crossing finger and wishing real hard.)

The whole hair thing was a lot of the weirdness for me last time. It was like look'g at a guy who kinda looks like Art but not like looking at Art. Copish?
Beshie

When I think about you now it makes me think of summertime....we were laughing in the sunshine

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:14 pm

speaking as one of the ladies who stood in front of dave, i am happy to report that he is indeed easy on the eyes.

the faux-mosh pit blew.

everclear is definitely a different band.

art looks very thin, and seemed...i don't know. depressed? sad? i think mesham said it best when she said it looked like he was "working," which i can honestly say i've never seen until last night. but yeah, he didn't seem as happy as he has in shows' past. but to his credit, he still put on a show that left me feeling happy about. it's a different band that sounds the same, only with a slower tempo on songs like "heroin girl" and a couple of others. but the music itself was very good. very, very good. to be honest, i wasn't expecting it to sound as tight as it did...and to be sure, the new band mates still have a long way to go before they will likely feel "comfortable" -- but i have definitely seen and heard everclear sound much worse, i'll say that. musically, i honestly think the band sounded better than they did last summer.

no backstage anything, no meet-and-greet with the fans afterwards, and that was fine. art looks very different with his dark hair, but to be honest, i may just prefer the new art to the old one...he seems more...i dunno...real? there wasn't a ton of swearing (only within the confines of the songs did he say "fuck," and perhaps he said it one other time, when he was doing some banter with someone in the audience)...but he mentioned god a couple of times, and talked about how, even when things are going badly, that god is good...not a christian rock thing, don't get me wrong. he just seemed very reflective and more contemplative than he did last year...honestly, i think the mood was a continuation of his solo shows late last fall. he was simply more subdued. but he still rocked hard.

all in all, it was a good time. seeing chris b was great (chris, your HAIR is why you seem so different -- your new style is fantastic, and you looked great!!!), but for those of you thinking of going to nashville, just understand: everclear is different. they're no worse for the wear, and in many ways, they are better...but it's a different band. if you go, expecting to see the craziness of craig, you might be disappointed. but if you go for the music, i don't think you'll be too disappointed. just be prepared for the tempo to be considerably slower than in previous shows.

and "glorious" is a very, very VERY good song. i absolutely loved it. i can't wait for the studio version!
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

stickyinsidePDX

Post by stickyinsidePDX » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:41 pm

well you guys mentioned slower tempo songs, especially heroin girl. if you have white trash hell, i noticed heroin girl is slower then the S&F version.

also the god thing kinda creeps me out, i wonder where hes goin with that one.

but i am glad that hes still out there doin everclear, and i cant wait til a PORTLAND show, i mean come on. i guess hes saving the best for last :wink: . hehe.

Memphis Mafia

Post by Memphis Mafia » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:11 pm

I certainly wouldn't mind Seattle, either.

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:31 am

oh, yeah...beshie, art hasn't dyed his hair back to blonde -- i forgot to mention that. i, for one, prefer the brown hair!

summerland

Post by summerland » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:30 pm

i like the brown hair also. I got to talk to art afrer th show he did seem very tired we talked about the divorce. we didn't talk long but anyway i liked the new guys and i can not wait for nashville :lol:

everelizabeth

Post by everelizabeth » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:10 pm

stupid happy wrote:oh, yeah...beshie, art hasn't dyed his hair back to blonde -- i forgot to mention that. i, for one, prefer the brown hair!

Boo to you!!!! j/k

I didn't get to see Art upclose very good last time so we'll just have to wait for Nashville for my final decision. (Like it matters anyway :lol: ) Plus, he had a baseball cap on last time for part of the show.

Still planning on Nashville?
Beshie

When I think about you now it makes me think of summertime....we were laughing in the sunshine

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:55 pm

i'm very much planning on nashville!

here you go, y'all -- from friday night...art with brown hair!
http://www.accessatlanta.com/hp/content ... index.html

grady

Post by grady » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:46 pm

he looks even older with brown hair
DON'T FAKE THE FUNK

OddEyes

Post by OddEyes » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:48 am

summerland wrote:we talked about the divorce. we didn't talk long
What'd he say about it?

_d.
You are neurotic and depressed, that doesn't mean that you are sad.
HEY, check out my art site.
http://oddeyes.deviantart.com/

mrbean83

Post by mrbean83 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:36 am

uh oh...looks like Art's having a "born again" experience.

I'm a born again Christian. HOWEVER, im also way too liberal (yes, liberal) to think it's a good thing for just anybody to do. I tend to disagree theologically with a lot of born-again Christians.

Wish I could talk to Art about what he's going through. I bet I could understand his troubles better than a lot of people.
swimming in the heavy water, buried in the sand, I can't hide my sexual life...

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:41 am

art returned to christianity years ago, if he ever really left at all (i think he's talked about not attending church, rather than "leaving" christianity, but to me, church-going has nothing to do with whether or not someone is a christian). friday night, he didn't strike me as going through some sort of "born again" thing -- just because someone mentions god a couple of times doesn't exactly qualify him/her for "born again" status. i just thought it was worth mentioning, is all. yes, he's probably going through a tough emotional time, as anyone who's ever been divorced usually does...but i wouldn't assume that just because i've been divorced or whatever, i'd have an inkling as to what he's going through or would understand him better than the next person. he's just a guy going through life, like the rest of us. so, no need to give it the old "uh-oh" attitude and assume anything about the man.
Last edited by stupid happy on Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.