A new interview with Art (new band info.)

Anything and everything Everclear.

everclear311

Post by everclear311 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:30 am

i like the new guy because i have been saying that for a long time!

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:57 am

Art Ownz U wrote: Who would give a crap about Tripolar if Art had not had Craig as Everclear's bass player??
As a Craig fan, I will say you do have a point. Even IF Craig didn't join Everclear, it wouldn't matter. Tri-Polar would eventually come around. Same with Greg and The Oohlas. Wait a sec, did Jollymon split before Greg was picked to replace Scott?

And you are right -- We'll have to give Art some credit. He DID introduce us to Craig, Greg, and the other former members/roadies (Steve, Brian, Davey, James, Basil, Robbie, Alessandro, Jeff, etc.).

btw, I'm Elizabeth. Nice to meet you.
~Elizabeth

"The goal of the emerging scholar is to write books, sell millions, and change the paradigms of the world." ~ Dr. C.D. Oliver on the first day of RELST 251 Fall 2007

Chris_B
Site Admin

Post by Chris_B » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:57 am

Art Ownz U wrote:I would love to play music with a genius and ride their coat tails to fame and financial sucess.
You know what? I've seen this statement made on several occasions and I think it's ABSURD.

For starters, supporting Art does not require bashing Craig and Greg. It's perfectly fine to be supportive of all three - or, at least, not be disrespectful to one or more.

But here's the greater point:

While Craig and Greg certainly did well while in a band with Art, Art himself did FAR better financially than they did. While Craig and Greg get royalties from sales and airplay, Art gets a far higher percentage. Contrary to what you might think, Craig and Greg are probably not millionaires (unless they've been saving the entire time and are savvy investors). Selling five million copies (total) of six albums does not make you wealthy, particularly if you're receiving a reduced rate. Keep in mind that most bands make their big bucks by touring, and Everclear's 2003 schedule was so limited (and the 2002 UK tour was cancelled) because they couldn't break even without tour support money from Capitol.

Furthermore, saying that Craig and Greg "rode their coattails" completely ignores the fact that Art NEEDED THEM to get where he is today. Art recorded a solo album in 1998, and very easily could have released it under the Everclear name, even if Craig and Greg didn't play a note on it. But he opted instead to bring them in and re-record the songs for LHTS. He's admitted on several occasions that he thought the finished product was better than what would have been his solo record.

You say Art could play with "just anybody" and be successful. Well, Art decided that he needed Craig and Greg. He tried with some other folks, and it didn't work as well.

Saying that Craig and Greg "rode Art's coattails to success" is simply untrue. They deserved every dime they earned. (Some might suggest they deserved more.)

Certainly, Art can do just fine with new musicians, and I'm 100% supportive of the change. Everclear can succeed without them. But discrediting Greg and Craig's involvement in Everclear's success is completely unnecessary, and doesn't help or support Art one iota.

Chris_B
Site Admin

Post by Chris_B » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:05 am

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth wrote:Wait a sec, did Jollymon split before Greg was picked to replace Scott?
As far as I know, Greg left Jollymon, even before he got the Everclear gig. (As noted in a 1997 interview [link], though it could be journalistic license.) I believe Jollymon replaced him and recorded a couple more albums.
everclear311 wrote:This was the worst everclear show that i have been to. I am deffinately not going to tennessee now. the new members were not bad at all but it felt like they just did what art told them to do. sit there play these songs and ill sing.
Interesting. Where's the love for the "new" Everclear?

everclear311

Post by everclear311 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:43 am

the love is not here yet. art said he was going to mellow his shows down and he did. like i said before that is the reason the concernt wasnt that good. hopefully art sees that people arent happy with these shows and turns up the tempo. i hope that one day i will hear amphedimine and when it all goes wrong again one more time live. and i hope i never hear brown eyed girl or this land is my land

Silver Ginger

Post by Silver Ginger » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:54 am

Chris B wrote: Keep in mind that most bands make their big bucks by touring, and Everclear's 2003 schedule was so limited (and the 2002 UK tour was cancelled) .
Yeah ok, ok, don't rub salt in the wounds! :( :lol: :lol: [/b]
I f**king love this band.
And anyone that doesn't is, quite frankly, a c*nt. - Ginger / The Wildhearts

stupid happy

Post by stupid happy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:40 am

yikes!

but welcome, nonetheless.
Stupid happy with everything....
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

RockPhotoGirl84

Post by RockPhotoGirl84 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:33 pm

stupid happy wrote:as for asbury park...god, you should've just done the whole springsteen pilgrimage, and made your way to the stone pony, or to the boardwalk....3 a.m.? i'd think the shore'd be hoppin'! but i don't know anything....i hail from stupidville....
Joan Jett was playing the Stone Pony and it was $10 to get in, which we didn't have plus I was just tired from shooting (went down for a band called Moneen who are friends) and we just wanted to get back to the hotel. Every venue had bands playing in them and cover charges, besides, where we were, it was scary to walk down the street...I got invited up to a "party" by this HUGE scary lookin' dude...I politely declined his offer...lol :x

Post by 1975 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:02 pm

Craig and Greg aren't wonderful musicians, they are replaceable, Greg never did any great drum solo that I've heard, and although Craig is a decent bassist, he's far from great, I don't know where Art would be without them, but personally, I enjoy Arts solo work better than Everclear's.
Yeah I hear the hum in my ear.....it keeps me awake sometimes.....Why do you have to be sloppy drunk just to say I am your friend

Everman

Post by Everman » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:04 pm

1975 wrote:Craig and Greg aren't wonderful musicians, they are replaceable, Greg never did any great drum solo that I've heard, and although Craig is a decent bassist, he's far from great, I don't know where Art would be without them, but personally, I enjoy Arts solo work better than Everclear's.
And Art is a great guitarist?

Post by 1975 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:06 pm

Art is a wonderful singer, very distinct voice, and a good songwriter, are you saying that without Art, if was Craig,Greg, and JoeBlow singing, that you'd still love Everclear without Arts voice?
Yeah I hear the hum in my ear.....it keeps me awake sometimes.....Why do you have to be sloppy drunk just to say I am your friend

sunflower

Post by sunflower » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:11 pm

[quote="1975"]Art is a wonderful singer, [quote]

***still has nightmares about the chattanooga show where art couldn't make it through 3 songs before his voice was gone*****

Post by 1975 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:12 pm

Yeah, his voice tends to drop sometimes, haha, but still, I like the scratchyness of it sometimes, I have a version of Strawberry where he sounds awful, but I love it.

OddEyes

Post by OddEyes » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:38 pm

***still has nightmares about the chattanooga show where art couldn't make it through 3 songs before his voice was gone*****
hey dood...people lose their voices.
shit happens. he's not a god, whether or not we want him to be.

_d.
You are neurotic and depressed, that doesn't mean that you are sad.
HEY, check out my art site.
http://oddeyes.deviantart.com/

Chris_B
Site Admin

Post by Chris_B » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:38 pm

To be honest, his voice hasn't been the same since the surgery. Still has a great tone, but it's not as strong as it was.

OddEyes wrote:hey dood...people lose their voices.
shit happens. he's not a god, whether or not we want him to be.
I don't think Becky was criticizing him for what happened. I think her point was exactly that - that it happened. (By all accounts, that particular show was a total disaster.)

1975 wrote:are you saying that without Art, if was Craig,Greg, and JoeBlow singing, that you'd still love Everclear without Arts voice?
Eh? Is anybody saying that?

What Ryan is suggesting is this: Art is a solid guitarist. But he's not a Hendrix or a Clapton. Kurt Cobain was not a brilliant guitarist in terms of technical skill, but he was a brilliant songwriter. I'd put Art in the same category.

1975 wrote:Craig and Greg aren't wonderful musicians, they are replaceable, Greg never did any great drum solo that I've heard, and although Craig is a decent bassist, he's far from great
Well, for starters, Art liked them as musicians because they weren't flashy - they were solid, steady musicians - which is exactly what you want if you're aiming for mainstream success. Both of them wrote their parts for songs, but were generally (and intentionally) restrained. No bass solos, no drum solos. Everclear was intentionally not Zeppelin.

If you want to hear Greg turned loose, I point to "White Noise".