It's evolution, baby!

Talk amongst yourselves.
User avatar
cien_bolas
Posts: 1469
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:35 am
Location: Monterrey, Mexico

Post by cien_bolas » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:39 pm

It requires more faith to believe in evolution than to believe in creation.

attE: cien_bolas
The only hardcore everclear mexican fan. VIVA!

User avatar
Eager To Please
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: JMU
Contact:

Post by Eager To Please » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:21 pm

except for the fact that weve got thousands more peices of evidence to support evolution.
and what do we have for creation?

weve got 1 book. that was written by people of the church, the same people who didnt admit that the sun was the center of the universe untill the 1900's.

So geuss what, the church has got just as much a chance at being wrong as scientists do, but weve got something besides blind faith on our side
H&H Fantasy Football : 0-2

Image

www.myspace.com/cochisechilipepper

User avatar
ekeown
Site Admin
Posts: 2009
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:39 am
Location: Tejas
Contact:

Post by ekeown » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:39 pm

cien_bolas wrote:It requires more faith to believe in creationism than to believe in evolution.
OK, I fixed your grammatical errors.

Also, here is the definition of faith because you seem to be misinformed

Main Entry: faith
Pronunciation: 'fAth
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/
Etymology: Middle English feith, from Old French feid, foi, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
synonym see BELIEF
- in faith : without doubt or question : VERILY

Sorry evolution does not require any faith, but mearly the open interest in the facts, and possiblities that might contradict the views of our forefathers and some religions.
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

User avatar
neverclear
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:06 pm
Location: kansas
Contact:

Post by neverclear » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:48 pm

I went to a Church-easter thing where they said that the reason why there is no evidence backing up creation is because God wants people to have faith.

I for one cannot be completely for certain about anything, and I feel bad going to church because I'm the one going "maybe he isn't real" and thinking everyone might be wasting their time.

I hope not, but who knows for certain?
Umm... Nevermind that.

User avatar
HydrogenElf
Posts: 1014
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:42 am
Location: Texas

Post by HydrogenElf » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:09 pm

This thread has gone from facts versus cien's nonsense about "scientifics" to facts versus cien going "NUH UH!".

he was better off sticking with the world-is-a-big-turtle argument, i think.
Oh, those sloppy tarts have sulphurized hearts.

Dylan
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:28 pm
Location: UK

Post by Dylan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I'm studying for a degree in biology, so can offer a bit of insight into the subject.

Firstly, I am rather miffed at the amount of people misquoting Darwin. Darwin published the Origin of Species in 1859. It doesn't take a lot of brain power to work out that was a long time ago, and that a lot of work has been done since his time. One of the major problems with people assessing Darwin's work is that he was unable to explain the mechanisms underlying his principle of evolution. This is quite acceptable, since it was not since the work of Gregor Mendel- investigating the inheritance of traits in peas- that the basis for evolution became clear. Mendel's work became the pillar stones for the science of genetics. Therefore when defining the modern concept of evolution, please refer to it as a fusion of Darwin's theory of "descent with modification" and Mendelian genetics.

Secondly, for those doubting the evidence for evolution should have a read around. I can't be bothered to get into a lot of it here, since there are so many important examples that highlight descent with modification.

I'll only touch very briefly on the evolutionary history of the world because I don't have the time to explain it all, but there are all kinds of lovely annotated textbooks to help you along. Those doubting our relatedness to the Great Apes (or even further afield; a lung fish) should pay particular attention to the homology in all tetrapods, such as the pentadactyl limb. Next time you see a frog or sea gull or hippo or crocodile check out the anatomy of the creature's limbs. You'll witness a surprising and fantastical pattern emerge. Bats? Same bauplan as humans? Heresy!

One of the most important animals that Creationists hate to have to deal with is Archaeopteryx. This is an animal that has key morphological (body design) characteristics shared with both birds and dinosaurs. In this way, it can be thought of as an intermediate species. It has a tail bone and a skull to heavy for a modern bird, but has feathers and a wrist movement typical for bird flight. The wrist movement is the key feature linking birds and theropod dinosaurs (predators such as velociraptor, dinonychus etc). The validity of the animal is certain; don't you even dare mention that someone went around sticking feathers on compsognathus fossils in over 100 recurrences of Archaeopteryx. That's very silly

There are several other extinct species with similarly primitive bird-like functions. Mostly chucked up in China in the Jehol biota (this is ace, you should check it out). My particular favourite is the Microraptor, which has......

wait for it....

4 wings!
(sweet)

Belief in God does not mean synonymous rejection of evolutionary theory. Methodological Naturalism assumes, for the sake of inquiry, that nothing else exists outside the natural world. Ontological Naturalism is the belief that nothing else exists. Just because you're working on evolution all day, doesn't mean you can't go and love God over the dinner table at home.

User avatar
Colorfinger
Site Contributor
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:44 pm
Location: Allentown, PA

Post by Colorfinger » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:05 pm

Dylan wrote:Interesting things
I don't think anyone else will or can actually sit and read that but I enjoyed your post.

I took a term of biology for Engineers and as far as evolution was concerned, we touched briefly on dominant traits and other genetical ideas...

It's hard for me to really fathom how people can deny the existence of evolution when it surrounds us even in this present day. Plants, animals, even humans are evolving. Humans are growing taller, maturing faster due to medical breakthroughs. Animals and plants have evolved in order to adapt to new surroundings. To me, it seems to be common sense.
the only thing worth listening to these days
http://www.myspace.com/mycontrolpanel

User avatar
Eager To Please
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: JMU
Contact:

Post by Eager To Please » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Colorfinger wrote:
Dylan wrote:Interesting things
I don't think anyone else will or can actually sit and read that but I enjoyed your post.
I did, and i understood it too.
Im a big boy
H&H Fantasy Football : 0-2

Image

www.myspace.com/cochisechilipepper

User avatar
Colorfinger
Site Contributor
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:44 pm
Location: Allentown, PA

Post by Colorfinger » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:31 pm

Eager To Please wrote:
Colorfinger wrote:
Dylan wrote:Interesting things
I don't think anyone else will or can actually sit and read that but I enjoyed your post.
I did, and i understood it too.
Im a big boy
Big boys use correct punctuation.
the only thing worth listening to these days
http://www.myspace.com/mycontrolpanel

User avatar
stupid happy
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:57 pm
Location: atlanta

Post by stupid happy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:07 pm

cackle....

kids, it's all about who has a right to his/her own opinion. and last i checked, we all have the right to think what we will. revel in that, instead of our differences.
Stupid happy with everything....
* * * * * *
Yeah, I'm a crack-smoking board cougar nun. You got a problem with that?

Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me! OOOOOOOOWWWW! OOOOOOOOOWWWW!

User avatar
northwestrocker
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:08 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Post by northwestrocker » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:59 am

stupid happy wrote:cackle....

kids, it's all about who has a right to his/her own opinion. and last i checked, we all have the right to think what we will. revel in that, instead of our differences.
I didn't know women had opinions.........





I kid! I kid! Don't crucify me!
There're people who said I used to be a dwarf. Just not true! I was a dwarf tosser for a while, but I was young, it was dark, it was raining. -Art

defytheodds
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by defytheodds » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:51 pm

lets make this simple and short. There is no god. Yes i do have proof. Think about human civilization and you'll realize how there is no god. .or angels. or any of that heavenly crap. Sorry to break it you all. God did not create humans. . .Aliens didn't bring us to earth either. if you want me to explain i will go right ahead. if you want to try to prove to me there is a god and evolution is bs. .feel free too. You have a right to believe whatever you want. truth of the matter is the same. .we evolved over time (proven fact) and god does not exsist (proven fact). if we evolved from monkeys. . .eh it's possible. .but it's a sub spieces. . i do think it is the earliest form of man. once again look at human evolution and it will explain it's self

User avatar
Copper
Posts: 1059
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:53 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by Copper » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:28 pm

You really can't prove or disprove the existance of God.

User avatar
worldofnoise
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: Chicagoish
Contact:

Post by worldofnoise » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:44 pm

defytheodds wrote:lets make this simple and short. There is no god. Yes i do have proof. Think about human civilization and you'll realize how there is no god. .or angels. or any of that heavenly crap. Sorry to break it you all. God did not create humans. . .Aliens didn't bring us to earth either. if you want me to explain i will go right ahead. if you want to try to prove to me there is a god and evolution is bs. .feel free too. You have a right to believe whatever you want. truth of the matter is the same. .we evolved over time (proven fact) and god does not exsist (proven fact). if we evolved from monkeys. . .eh it's possible. .but it's a sub spieces. . i do think it is the earliest form of man. once again look at human evolution and it will explain it's self
Along with what Copper said...your making this to much about God its not about where humans came from. But once again we did not evolve from monkeys but we share a common ancestor...and I like the fact that you say that there is no proof that God exists...just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...you have put your self in the same situation:...

one day a 6 year old girl was sitting in a classroom. The teacher was going to explain evolution to the children. The teacher asked a little boy:

TEACHER: Tommy do you see the tree outside?
TOMMY: Yes.
TEACHER: Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
TOMMY: Yes.
TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the sky.
TEACHER: Did you see God?
TOMMY: No.
TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't there.He just doesn't exist.

A little girl spoke up and wanted to ask the boy some questions.

The teacher agreed and the little girl asked the
boy:
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the tree outside?
TOMMY: Yes.
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy do you see the grass outside?
TOMMY: Yessssss!
LITTLE GIRL: Did you see the sky?
TOMMY: Yessssss!
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the teacher?
TOMMY: Yes
LITTLE GIRL: Do you see her brain?
TOMMY: No
LITTLE GIRL: Then according to what we were taught today in school, she must not have one!

^thats what your saying

It was on my friends myspace

BOT...Eric we want that big red stamp right here!
"We can get lost in the fall glimmer sparkle and fade"
"dumb rock hard and good to go"

User avatar
ekeown
Site Admin
Posts: 2009
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:39 am
Location: Tejas
Contact:

Post by ekeown » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:54 pm

Image

Back On Topic

Evolution: Yes or No, and why
Eric
Hungry & Hollow
http://www.hungryandhollow.com

Post Reply