Check here for board-related announcements, and post here if you have any technical problems or suggestions.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:03 am

i have found a few images here and there that i have wanted to use as a avatar but have had no luck on sizing them down to the right size to be used can anyone help me on sizing these things down a little so i can use them on here.
Spongebob is not a contraceptive -(Simpsons)

Flowers the painted whores of the plant world - Homer Simpson

evercleargrl

Post by evercleargrl » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:28 am

I was just about to make a post askin' the same thing until I found your post. I have the same problem. Rock, I like your avatar. ~TARA

Paxil Rose

Post by Paxil Rose » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:50 am

well i got my image sized down... but then i get some error message... eric you should allow linking to off-site avatars...

Chris_B
Site Admin

Post by Chris_B » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:53 pm

Paxil Rose wrote:well i got my image sized down... but then i get some error message... eric you should allow linking to off-site avatars...
The reason that we didn't is because off-site avatar linking always gets out of hand. It slows down the boards dramatically, and often forces people to download a meg worth of graphics to read 50k worth of text. (Case in point, Kevin Smith's View Askew boards.)

On several of the boards I read, people openly use full size (read: digital photograph size) photos for their avatars, and that's just asinine. There's no reason to force someone's browser to smash a 1600x1200 picture into an 80x80 space. The only thing worse than that are the people who use animated movie scenes (500k or more) as their avatar.

Anyway, avatars here are set like this:

1) They have to be smaller than 80 pixels by 80 pixels.
2) They have to be smaller than 8k. (We upped it this past weekend.)

To make this happen, I would recommend downloading Gimp [link] and following the instructions contained on their Gimp Lite Quickies [Link] page. (That is, if you don't already have a picture editing package like Photoshop.)

Basically, like this:

1) Open your original picture in Gimp.

2) Scale the image down so that
a) the larger side of the graphic is 80 pixels wide, or
b) the smaller side of the graphic is 80 pixels wide, and you then crop the graphic to 80 by 80.

3) Save the graphic as a jpeg. Check the file (in properties) to make sure it's smaller than 8,192 bytes. If it's not, lower the quality of the jpeg and save it again. Repeat this step until it's smaller than 8,192 bytes.

The key step is step 3. If you're using Photoshop, you may have to set the quality as low as level 4 to make it work. PhotoImpact seems to be okay with 85%. I've never used Gimp, so I'll just say: play with it until it meets that requirement.

I know this sounds like a pain in the ass, but I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. (At least, I hope not.)