Art will never play this song again

Post your tab, or find the tab you've been looking for.
George
Art will never play this song again

Post by George » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:28 pm

I was driving in the car listening to Volume 2 today and I remembered that this song hadn't ever been accurately tabbed by anyone. That, combined with the fact that I haven't posted a tab of any kind in a long time motivated me to tackle this. I realize there's already a thread for this song a few topics down on the page but I felt like creating a new topic, one, because I can, and two, because I think it might cause more people to actually read it. Then again, there's a fairly good chance this thread will go unanswered, but oh well. Anyway, without further ado, I present to you ...

"The Good Witch Of The North" (Main Riff)

Code: Select all

Eb|--------------------------------|
Bb|--------8--------------3--------|
Gb|------0---0---0------0---0------|
Db|----9-------9------4-------4----|
Ab|-10--------------5--------------|

Bb|---------10---------------------|
Gb|-------0----0----0-----0----0---|
Db|----11--------11----------------|
Ab|-12-----------------12---14-----|
It's actually written in pretty standard Art-style, using movable chord formations with open strings. "Summerland" is a good older example of that (with strummed chords) and a more recent example involving picked strings is "Chrysanthemum," which actually has a lot in common with this song. Both are half a step down and have the open G string ringing throughout. As for the rest of "The Good Witch Of The North," I have the chorus figured out but I'm going to hold off on posting it until I figure out the very end of the song.

Also, for those of you who don't play guitar or those of you who do but are wondering what the above tab sounds like, I made a midi file of the song that you can listen to by clicking here.

Edited 1/28/05: Added the full midi version of the song.
Last edited by George on Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colorfinger
Site Contributor

Post by Colorfinger » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:28 pm

WOW.

After listening to the MIDI file, I must say that your tabbing sounds quite accurate.

I'd be interested in you tabbing the Colorfinger album...

P.S. - How did you make the MIDI file of your tablulature?
the only thing worth listening to these days
http://www.myspace.com/mycontrolpanel

Copper

Post by Copper » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:34 pm

I could always hear that ringing G note but no tab before this ever actually had it in there. This is one of my favorites off GTFABA, so this is most excellent.

AshtonB

Post by AshtonB » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:39 am

Here's the gay way I play it

Code: Select all

e|---------------------------------------------|
B|------2---------2---------4---------5-----6--|
G|----3---3---------------5---5-----6-----7----|
D|--4-------4---3---3---6-------6-7-----8------|
A|------------4-------4------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------|
"Nazis are better than Christians, because they at least acknowledge that they're an organized hate group"

-Krist Novoselic of Nirvana

Ashton @ Myspace

Triple Crown Winner Banned From Everywhere

George

Post by George » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Colorfinger wrote:WOW.

After listening to the MIDI file, I must say that your tabbing sounds quite accurate.

I'd be interested in you tabbing the Colorfinger album...

P.S. - How did you make the MIDI file of your tablulature?
I used this amazing program called Power Tab Editor to make the midi file. It allows you to create sheet music (like the kind you'd find in an official tab book) and then play back what you've created in midi format. And the best thing about it is it's free.

If you're interested, you can go here for more information, and here for a link to download the program. For a partial screenshot of what my "Good Witch" midi looks like in Power Tab format, go here.

Once you get the program (assuming you choose to), go to the Power Tab Archive, you can download tabs of songs there. And lastly, I'll try to look into tabbing some Colorfinger stuff if I have time. Is there any song (or songs) in particular you want me to look at?
Last edited by George on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colorfinger
Site Contributor

Post by Colorfinger » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:48 pm

Chucklehead's Lament (and or) Eleanor Young if you could.

Thanks for that program. I'm definately going to check it out!

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:17 pm

Thanks George! Now I get to redo my MIDI file of TGWOTN. I was one half-step off! But the way you tabbed it, yours sound more accurate than mine.
~Elizabeth

"The goal of the emerging scholar is to write books, sell millions, and change the paradigms of the world." ~ Dr. C.D. Oliver on the first day of RELST 251 Fall 2007

George

Post by George » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:41 pm

I completed a rough version of the Power Tab file of the whole song; I still have to smooth out a few things though. I'm just posting now to say that i'm going to edit my original post in this topic to add updates, in case anyone is interested (for example, I'm going to edit it to add a full midi of the song in just a second). Thanks for the replies everyone, and Colorfinger, I messed around with both of those songs today and have some parts of them figured out; I'll try to get around to tabbing them out soon but I've been busy lately so it might be a while.

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:48 pm

Awesome... I need the chorus and ending to finish my MIDI! Thanks, George! :)
~Elizabeth

"The goal of the emerging scholar is to write books, sell millions, and change the paradigms of the world." ~ Dr. C.D. Oliver on the first day of RELST 251 Fall 2007

Colorfinger
Site Contributor

Post by Colorfinger » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:52 pm

George wrote:I completed a rough version of the Power Tab file of the whole song; I still have to smooth out a few things though. I'm just posting now to say that i'm going to edit my original post in this topic to add updates, in case anyone is interested (for example, I'm going to edit it to add a full midi of the song in just a second). Thanks for the replies everyone, and Colorfinger, I messed around with both of those songs today and have some parts of them figured out; I'll try to get around to tabbing them out soon but I've been busy lately so it might be a while.
Thanks for telling us about that site. I was checking out the already posted tabs for other songs and many of them are dead on. I like how you can add the guitar parts and bass parts and mix them together to see how it sounds. I can't believe this isn't more popular. Maybe it is and I've just never heard of it.

Don't worry about it George, thanks a bunch!

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:20 pm

Hey, George, can you send the "piano music sheet" of the song to me?

Oh, yeah, it seems that Power Tab doesn't like Macs. :roll:
~Elizabeth

Stick Man

Post by Stick Man » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:10 am

You deserve a good token.

George

Post by George » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:11 am

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth wrote:Hey, George, can you send the "piano music sheet" of the song to me?

Oh, yeah, it seems that Power Tab doesn't like Macs. :roll:
I'm not really sure how I'd do that, Power Tab doesn't have an export feature for standard notation. I could cut and paste the standard notation parts into Paint and make a couple of image files, would that work?

TheGoodWitchoftheNorth
Site Contributor

Post by TheGoodWitchoftheNorth » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:03 am

That would nice.
~Elizabeth

AshtonB

Post by AshtonB » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:33 am

or you could figure it out yourself bitch :P
"Nazis are better than Christians, because they at least acknowledge that they're an organized hate group"

-Krist Novoselic of Nirvana

Ashton @ Myspace

Triple Crown Winner Banned From Everywhere