Kill the Sun, Marrying Kind, Shakin' Brave

Post your tab, or find the tab you've been looking for.
guthrie
Kill the Sun, Marrying Kind, Shakin' Brave

Post by guthrie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Looking for good tabs of any or all of these songs. I know I'll get bitched at for requesting too much, but haven't found much on these tabs except for the chords, and I don't think the one I have for Shakin' Brave is right. I promise I'm not expecting anything, just throwing this out there for anybody who might have ideas. I concur with George though, we need more requests for tabs!

George

Post by George » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:51 pm

Kill The Sun is probably my favorite Colorfinger song, I should have it tabbed soon. Most of the lead parts involve fretting notes on the B string and letting the high E string ring out, like so:

Code: Select all

E|-0--0--0--0--0--0--0-|
B|-5--4--2--4--2--0--0-|
G|---------------------|
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
The song is sped up quite a bit (a little more than 1/4 step), so it actually sounds closer playing with a capo on the first fret rather than standard. I might not get to Marrying Kind or Shakin' Brave (to be honest, I hadn't even listened to those songs before I read this post) but don't feel bad for asking - I would much rather have people requesting too many songs than not have anyone request anything.

guthrie

Post by guthrie » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Yeah, I think that Kill the Sun is my favorite too. All I've seen for it were just chords and I don't think they were in the right key for that matter. Kill the Sun was the one I was most interested in learning. As far as Marrying Kind goes, it's really just the intro that I'd like to learn. The rest is just chords, and I think it starts out A, D for a few bars and then E,D and then E, Bm, D, A. Still kind of working on the bridge/chorus, but sounds like Art's just banging away on power chords (surprise, surprise) up and down the neck, so it shouldn't take much longer. Thanks again George!

George

Post by George » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:24 am

This version of Kill The Sun is pretty accurate (it just doesn't have any of the lead):

http://members.tripod.com/~panec/killthesun.htm

If it sounds like it's in the wrong key, it's because the recording is sped up. Pitch alteration is common on a lot of Everclear's recordings... I first noticed this when I tried learning the songs on So Much For The Afterglow. Try playing along with the recording of Like A California King. Every tab I've seen (including the one in the official book) has that song tabbed in E -- and that's how Art plays it live -- but if you're playing along with the recording it will sound "off". The tonality is above E but not quite F (which would be 1/2 step up). Everything sounds about 1/4 step sharp. This gives the recording a distinct sound, but it makes it a lot more difficult to tab or play along with.

Kill The Sun is the same way (although I imagine the process was different - I don't think they used Pro Tools back then). I have two live versions that are both in E, but the recording is sped up so much it almost sounds like it's in F (that's why it might help to play it with a capo on the first fret).

Marrying Kind sounds sped up as well... and I'm pretty sure that it's in G, not A. I'll work on tabbing the intro and getting it up here.

guthrie

Post by guthrie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:43 am

Ah, I'll try that. I never heard of that sight before, but it looks like it can be pretty helpful. Not much lead stuff on there though. Oh well, gives me something to start with. Did you say you're going to do any of the leads of Kill the Sun? If they're pretty much all on the B and e string, I'll keep playing around with it if you aren't going to tab out. Thanks again!

George

Post by George » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Yeah, that site is pretty awesome. Some of the tabs are a little off but it's a great place to start, and there are a lot of songs tabbed there you can't find anywhere else. I'm planning on doing a full tab of Kill The Sun, I've just been busy lately because it's finals week at the school I go to but thankfully I'll be done tomorrow.

guthrie

Post by guthrie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Did you ever get anywhere with this stuff George? I've been playing around with the B and e string, but there's a few parts I'm not so sure of. How about the intro to the marrying kind? Just curious if you ever got a chance to help (once again) me out.

George

Post by George » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates, Kill The Sun was pretty frustrating. It's not a difficult song to play but it's a pain in the ass to tab. Anyway, I did a tab that has the main guitars in it, try it out. If there's a part you want more detail on let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'll look at Marrying Kind next, hopefully it won't take me too long to get that up.

Colorfinger
"Kill The Sun"
All guitars sound approximately 1/4 step sharp

Bass Intro (Arranged for guitar)
E|-----------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------|
G|-----------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------|
A|-----3--2--2-2-2------------3-2--2-2-2---2-2-2-|
E|-0-0--------------3-2---0-0------------3-------|

E|----------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------|
A|-----3--2--2-2-2-----------3-2--2-2-2-0h2-2-2-|
E|-0-0-------------3-2---0-0--------------------|

Intro (Guitar 1 w/chorus effect)
E|-0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0-|-0--0--0--0--0--0--0---0-|-0----0--0--0-0-0-0-0--0--0-|
B|-5--4--4--4--4--4--4--4-|-5--4--4--4--4--4--4/7-7-|-5----4--2--2h4-4-4-2--0--0-|
G|------------------------|-------------------------|----------------------------|
D|------------------------|-------------------------|----------------------------|
A|------------------------|-------------------------|----------------------------|
E|------------------------|-------------------------|----------------------------|
|
Intro (Guitar 2)
E|------------------------|-------------------------|-----------------------|
B|------------------------|-------------------------|-----------------------|
G|------------------------|-------------------------|-----------------------|
D|------------------------|-------------------------|-----------------------|
A|-5--4--4--4--4--4--4--4-|-5--4--4--4--4--4--6--6--|-2---------------------|
E|-3--2--2--2--2--2--2--2-|-3--2--2--2--2--2--4--4--|-0---------------------|

Continued Intro (Guitar 1)
E|---------|-0-0-4-0-0-0-0-0-0-|-0-0-4-0-0---0-0---0-|--0-0-4-0-0-0-0-0-|-0-0-4-0-0-0-|
B|-0---2-4-|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|-5-5-5-5-5/3-3-3/2-2-|-/5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|-5-5-5-5-5-5-|
G|---------|-------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------|
D|---------|-------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------|
A|---------|-------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------|
E|---------|-------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------|

Verse ("It's good to have a window on the world...")
E|-7-7-7\5-5-5-5-5-5--7-7-7p0-0-0-0-0-0-|
B|-7-7-7\5-5-5-5-5-5--7-7-7p5-5-5-5-5-5-|
G|--------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------|

Chorus (Note: Improvise on the B string, go up to 7 and 9 occasionally)
E|----------------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|
B|----------------------------------5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|
G|----------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------|
A|-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7--------------------------|
E|-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5--------------------------|

Outro (Guitar 1)
B|-9p7-7--7h9-9--7\5-5--5\2-2h4-2p0-0-0--2h4-2p0-|
G|-----------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------|

E|--------------------|
B|-5--4--2--2h4p2p0-0-|
G|--------------------|
D|--------------------|
A|--------------------|
E|--------------------|

Last two chords: [2443xx] -> [022100]
Also, I made a recording (one guitar) a few weeks ago of this song, you can hear what it sounds like here: Kill The Sun

guthrie

Post by guthrie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Awesome! I can't thank you enough! I've got to get started now.

George

Post by George » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:17 am

So I used my amazing digital editing skillz (ok that's a joke) and played around with Marrying Kind a little bit. There are two versions of this song, the one I've been messing with is played with a capo on the first fret. Here's a clip that helps:

Marrying Kind Intro Slowed Down

Here's a tab of the intro:

Capo on first fret
E|----3---------------------------------2-------|
B|-----------------------------------------3----|
G|--------------0-----------0-----------------0-|
D|--------------------0--------0-----0----------|
A|-------0-2-3-----2--------------0-------------|
E|-3---------------------3----------------------|
And finally, I used my limited editing skills to "remaster" the Shaking Brave recording (got rid of some of the noise and slowed it down a little to make it easier to play along with). You can download the full song from this site:

Shaking Brave - Marrying Kind (Remastered)

silverain2

Post by silverain2 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:44 pm

If you read the whole tab forum, you would see that I posted 'Kill the Sun' a long time ago. It can be found here http://boards.hungryandhollow.com/viewtopic.php?t=1168

It is tuned down a half step.
They might think you think you’re happy
Yeah maybe for a minute or two
They can’t make you laugh
No they can’t make you feel the way that I do